GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The Cursed GX cd/camera/clunk problem :)

Old 03-11-17, 07:00 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Cursed GX cd/camera/clunk problem :)

Hello people. So I bought my 3rd GX. It's a 2005 high millage with nav and DVD for the rear. I have written before on here about my camera stopping to work after the first car was I took it through a day after buying it. The issue is still unresolved but I'm still working on it. Also, I got the dreaded clunk couple of days after purchase. ( I drive rather hard so I accept for some things to come out since purchase) But what the hell gives now? While driving today I decided to listen to some cds. I had listened to them on the first day of purchase, but when I switched from fm to cd I got no sound. The discs were playing and the time was moving. I could switch between the discs and songs but got no sound at all. When just about to come to a stop the sound came in. And it was doing it :sound/no sound when stopping or stopped/ driving. Wth? But that's not all. Went out with my gf out today later for a dinner and told her about the issue, and guess what. When I tried to put the cd on again the option disappeared all together so now I only have fm, fm2, am, DVD. But no CD. Any one can shine the light on this and if it might somehow to be related or be a hand in hand with my reverse camera issue?
Old 03-12-17, 10:01 AM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had similar issues with mine. I've narrowed it down to the RSE module located in the passenger side kick panel. Good luck finding a replacement. I'm still on the look out for one. You'll be shocked to know what the dealer wants for a new one. Good luck!
Old 03-12-17, 02:16 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RE: clunk, I think the best mitigation is doing your own maintenance to ensure the prop shaft is lubed well. I wouldn't trust even a Toyota dealer to do it correctly.. too easy to skip or just poorly lube some of the fittings to check the block. My car had been exclusively serviced by Lexus dealers prior to my owning and had the clunk fixed under warranty once already. Would rather not have to do that while owning.

I also put it in low range and let it cycle through the gears a few times every once in a while. I'm not sure it actually prevents the transfer case actuator leak but I like using mechanical features every once in a while to make sure everything is working well.
Old 03-16-17, 05:07 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I took the nav unit out, and moved the connectors, now the CD works.
Camera im still working on. dont have the tools to test it properly, all i know is that it has power to it.
As for the Clunk, I lubed the shaft, but i think its the worn gears as shaft has some play in it
Now more problems: Im driving today and when on the freeway at about 65 mi/h under a low load (Slow Acceleration) i started experiencing vibration. it extended in to a heavier vibration with more of a pedal in and higher speed. the car doesnt do it a low speeds, but i can really feel when applying low amounts of gas. I know the car is due for a timing belt not sure if related. I heard it could be a transmission can anyone confirm? or any other ideas?