GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

03 gx 470 condenser fan replace easy job?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 01:31 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 03 gx 470 condenser fan replace easy job?

Had GX in to shop and had a/c evac and recharge because I thought it may be over or under as in hot summer traffic it sometimes kicks off ac and then comes back on. I had read they are very sensitive to exact amount of Freon. Now a few days later I heard a noise and the a/c stopped being cool. Took back to the shop and they said condenser fan not turning all the time when air is on, it slows to a stop.
I was going to order fan on amazon, just wondering how hard to install myself? I searched for threads but did not see any on this?
Thanks!
Old 03-09-17, 08:05 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

You'll have to remove the glovebox to see stuff, but IIRC it's like three screws holding it on.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

The blower motor is p/n 87103A on the lower-right. The unit it screws into is where the cabin AC filter goes, to give you some reference.

Price on a new blower assembly is in the $250-320 range.

Chip H.
Old 03-11-17, 09:27 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Hi Chip, I am confused, are you talking about blower motor? I need to replace condenser fan out in front of engine right behind grill.
Old 03-11-17, 03:13 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Whoops sorry. Wrong motor. I did a search on youtube and didn't see any how-tos for this.

Chip H.
Old 03-11-17, 03:21 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Thank you, I changed it, it was pretty simple. But now I see the a/c compressor cycling only on a few seconds and then shuts right off, so no cold air once it shuts off. I am thinking that shop that recharged did not put enough or too much back in system. Do you know if condensor fan should only run when compressor runs? That is what its doing. I dont think that fan was bad to begin with.
I am also hearing a screech noise from compressor when I rev rpms up trying to get it to engage, so its locking up now also. I wonder if this is all related to low or high charge or I now have compressor going bad?
I will post this in my other new thread as well, thanks for any info!
Old 03-12-17, 09:01 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Could be high charge. The compressor will run with low charge but you first get hot air out of one side of the vents, then as the charge drops further it's hot air out both sides.

Take it back and ask if they weighed their bottle when charging (so they knew how much went in once they drew down the vacuum)

Chip H.
Old 03-13-17, 08:54 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Why doesn't the shop that charged the AC properly diagnose the problem?

That's a real hack outfit that just fills your AC, knows it's not working properly, but sends you on your way. And then makes some bad guesses for what you should do on your own that end up wasting your time and money. This stuff is very easy for a trained technician to troubleshoot. They easily could have hooked up your condenser fan to a power source and saw that it was working properly.

My advice is take it somewhere else rather than continue to throw parts at it.

My first guess is they screwed up the AC charge amount, but the idea that it is "sensitive" to the charge amount should not be an issue. A "real" shop weighs the amount of refrigerant and puts that exact amount in.
Old 03-13-17, 09:51 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

I agree guys, and I am taking back to make them fix it. Funny I did notice blowing cool out of one side and not the other front vents, and then hot air all together, so must be low. I hooked up the cheap gauge I have and it says low as well. I am hoping no issue with compressor as it keeps locking up for a second or so when a/c on, but i have not ran it anymore since Saturday.
Old 03-13-17, 09:53 AM
chitown40
Rookie

What does the sight glass look like? Clear? Cloudy? If any reputable shop or good homeowner with a decent set of A/C gauges can hook them up, you'll have a better idea of what your pressures are high and low side.
Old 03-13-17, 10:33 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by foreste1
I agree guys, and I am taking back to make them fix it. Funny I did notice blowing cool out of one side and not the other front vents, and then hot air all together, so must be low. I hooked up the cheap gauge I have and it says low as well. I am hoping no issue with compressor as it keeps locking up for a second or so when a/c on, but i have not ran it anymore since Saturday.

That's exactly the symptoms of a low charge, at least that's how it happened for me.

My advice is talk to the manager, have them make it right. My guess is they will then make up some unnecessary "repair" they need to do because they don't want to eat this. If they want so much as a penny more in repair charges, refuse and simply leave with your car and go somewhere else. If you paid them originally with a CC, you have some leverage.

I don't know what you paid them, but you may also want to just consider not going back and finding a different place if you feel it's a shady place that doesn't have qualified people working there.
Old 03-13-17, 11:00 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

To be fair (just in case they aren't incompetent) they may have done everything correctly, but the valve didn't seal correctly when they removed their fill hose, and you left their shop with a leak. If they're a stand-up shop, they'll check for that and say "Our mistake" and make it right.

Otherwise yeah, go somewhere better.

Chip H.
Old 03-14-17, 08:35 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Good news, they evacuated and recharged again yesterday and said yes I was correct they were too low, and have it right now and everything works great again!! Hope I did not hurt compressor.
Thanks to all of you again!!