GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Strut replacement (keeping air suspension) input needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 10:07 AM
Matt007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut replacement (keeping air suspension) input needed

Hello Everyone,
I'd like to hear some thoughts from those who have replaced their struts and left the factory air suspension in place. Before anyone jumps on me and says "use the search function" I'll tell you that I have read every single thread on this subject. I've gathered some useful information as well but I haven't seen a general concensus about the following:
Arnott struts p/n sk-2812 and sk-2813. These are apparently a newer version of what they had offered a few years ago. I know I'll loose the adaptive suspension control.
-How satisfied have people been with these?
-What is the ride quality like? (Harsh, similar to oem, in between?)
-Do they improve the somewhat loose handling characteristics and "nose dive" when braking?

My truck almost strictly on pavement and with the crappy nebraska roads I'd like to achieve a good ride quality. The oem struts have about 90k miles on them and seem to bob around a lot. They're very soft but can be harsh over some larger road imperfections. Any input from those who have used the arnott struts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-04-17, 03:46 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I'm sure you know, strut/shock selection and rear air springs are unrelated, assuming you're not going to change the springs and lift the GX or something.

I'd go with an OE similar ride while ditching the adjustable shocks if I were you. Saves big money and keeps everything the same (only better because you've got brand new struts). Arnott is probably fine .. I went with KYB brand 4runner struts/shocks from rockauto at 100k miles. KYB is an OE supplier so quality should be there. Make sure you apply a 5% discount code if shopping on rockauto and you get an alignment after changing suspension parts.

I did mine in the garage .. not too bad .. used a loaner spring compressor from AutoZone on the front strut assemblies and it worked fine.

Part numbers KYB341340(2)KYB344410(2)
Old 03-05-17, 03:07 PM
Matt007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2008
As I'm sure you know, strut/shock selection and rear air springs are unrelated, assuming you're not going to change the springs and lift the GX or something.

I'd go with an OE similar ride while ditching the adjustable shocks if I were you. Saves big money and keeps everything the same (only better because you've got brand new struts). Arnott is probably fine .. I went with KYB brand 4runner struts/shocks from rockauto at 100k miles. KYB is an OE supplier so quality should be there. Make sure you apply a 5% discount code if shopping on rockauto and you get an alignment after changing suspension parts.

I did mine in the garage .. not too bad .. used a loaner spring compressor from AutoZone on the front strut assemblies and it worked fine.

Part numbers KYB341340(2)KYB344410(2)
Thank you for the info! I'll look into the kyb's as well now. Sounds like you're pretty satisfied with the result.
Old 03-06-17, 12:07 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It may also be worth looking into the off-road shock market instead of OEM replacements. Mark over at MetalTech4x4(.com) is quite knowledgeable and may have some other suggestions for you. Alternatively, if you want lower mileage Lexus shocks, you may be able to find someone upgrading who will give (or sell for cheap) you their old shocks.
Old 03-16-17, 12:07 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced with bilstein 5100s. Stock ride height and comfort were kept. Very saticefied.
Old 03-16-17, 01:06 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't see any reason to purchase Arnott rear shocks if you're keeping the air springs in the rear. Aren't they just 4Runner Bilsteins packaged with their spring kit?

You can throw just about any rear shock from the same generation 4Runner for a lot less.
Old 03-16-17, 07:51 PM
tomtbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morphyne
I replaced with bilstein 5100s. Stock ride height and comfort were kept. Very saticefied.
How comfortable is the total 5100 package. I threw some 5100's on the back and am about to do my entire front suspension and am debating whether or not to go this route. I've got some rough roads that I drive on sometimes and don't want to be jumping all over the place like I currently am on the stock front struts (150k)
Old 03-23-17, 10:44 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone
How comfortable is the total 5100 package. I threw some 5100's on the back and am about to do my entire front suspension and am debating whether or not to go this route. I've got some rough roads that I drive on sometimes and don't want to be jumping all over the place like I currently am on the stock front struts (150k)
Some think they are a little firm. But my wife had hers for a year or so and it rides like stock.
Old 04-14-17, 08:42 PM
Matt007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JLee50
It may also be worth looking into the off-road shock market instead of OEM replacements. Mark over at MetalTech4x4(.com) is quite knowledgeable and may have some other suggestions for you. Alternatively, if you want lower mileage Lexus shocks, you may be able to find someone upgrading who will give (or sell for cheap) you their old shocks.
That's the route I'm leaning. The Icon 56505 for the 4runner seems to be a good bet. I'm still trying to confirm if I need to worry about the air bags coming unseated at full articulation being that this is probably a longer shock at full extension than factory. Talked to metal tech and they weren't quite sure becuase most are converting to coils when adding shocks like these. Any idea what the stock shock lengths are?
Old 04-15-17, 09:40 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt007
That's the route I'm leaning. The Icon 56505 for the 4runner seems to be a good bet. I'm still trying to confirm if I need to worry about the air bags coming unseated at full articulation being that this is probably a longer shock at full extension than factory. Talked to metal tech and they weren't quite sure becuase most are converting to coils when adding shocks like these. Any idea what the stock shock lengths are?
No idea - someone over at GXOR may know, though. The air bags are not known for durability when wheeling - might as well do a spring conversion while you're working on it.

The forum is breaking my link..remove the spaces: https://www.facebook .com /groups /LexusGXOR/