GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?
YES! Lose the side opening door!
69.91%
NO! I like the side opening door
30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 08:22 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BMW 330i

Originally posted by Gromulus
lexguynj,

Thanks for the 330i info. Glad to hear you are happy with it. With the newly redisigned 3 series due this coming year I suppose we should wait and see how they rate. Hopefully BMW won't sacrifice the driving dynamics of the model. Perhaps we would be able to get a good deal on the "old" series at that time.
One gripe about my 330i is that it's still a small car, so the rear seating room is still somewhat small. They will fix this slightly in the new 3 Series, but I just have to get a bigger car like the 5 series! Other than that, all is good!
Old 11-08-04, 08:33 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Good points on the side opening problems, I liked the split opening rear door of my 95 LC without the rear window being able to be lowered. Problem with the new 4runner design, when it is open say in a garage it can bang into anything that is above the vehicle since it raises several feet above the height of the 4runner. Seems like they all have good and bad points, just got to get what you think works best for you. I don't think any of them are deal breakers.
Old 11-08-04, 08:52 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lexguynj
This is a great forum and I appreciate your feedback and help in this matter! It's the best getting answers from actual owners of the vehicle that have already put these vehicles to every daily use!

Your words make me feel better about this side door!
Thanks; and I hope you ultimately decide on going with the GX. It's a great vehicle - safe and solid - you will not be disappointed!
Old 11-08-04, 08:58 AM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear hatch

Originally posted by PitBull
Good points on the side opening problems, I liked the split opening rear door of my 95 LC without the rear window being able to be lowered. Problem with the new 4runner design, when it is open say in a garage it can bang into anything that is above the vehicle since it raises several feet above the height of the 4runner. Seems like they all have good and bad points, just got to get what you think works best for you. I don't think any of them are deal breakers.
After years of owning a minivanwith the same setup, the 4Runner hatch door shouldn't be a problem for us. We also have a high clearance in our garage. I do like the rain shielding effect provided by the top opening hatch as well. It helps out when setting up or breaking down camp in inclement weather. I REALLY like the power down rear window of the Runner. When test driving in nice weather it was a great experience to have the the rear and side windows down as well as the sunroof open.

One advantage of the side opening rear door is the abilty to stand on the bumper and reach to roof rack with greater ease. Too bad the GX doesn't at least have the power window.
Old 11-08-04, 09:03 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Rear hatch

Originally posted by Gromulus
One advantage of the side opening rear door is the abilty to stand on the bumper and reach to roof rack with greater ease. Too bad the GX doesn't at least have the power window. [/B]
RIGHT you are! I forgot about that; and I have stood on the rear bumper a few times already to wash the truck.
Old 11-08-04, 11:11 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I was the "original poster" who started this thread nearly two years ago! At the time, the side opening rear door was the deal breaker. After two more years of looking around and waiting for something new to come along we finally gave in and bought the GX a few weeks ago. Side opening rear door and all.

Why? Because most of the folks I talked to who actually OWN a GX have come back later to say that the rear door, while seeming to be a huge disadvantage initially has proven to be a non issue in reality. One or two still don't like it, but most say it really hasn't made a difference and many say they have come to like it better. I too have found it to be no big deal. Parallel parking or not, the door just doesn't seem to get in the way like we thought it would. In our experience, if a car has left themselves enough room to pull out safely (without alot of maneuvering) then it's also been enough room to open the tailgate as wide as we have ever needed. In other words, unless they are pushed up into your bumper, the door usually has enough room to open.

I'm gonna start an "unscientific Poll" and see if the side door really matters that much after all to folks who have lived with it awhile... See if that data holds up... For us it's just turned out to be no big deal...
Old 11-08-04, 01:45 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bareyb
I was the "original poster" who started this thread nearly two years ago! At the time, the side opening rear door was the deal breaker. After two more years of looking around and waiting for something new to come along we finally gave in and bought the GX a few weeks ago. Side opening rear door and all.

Why? Because most of the folks I talked to who actually OWN a GX have come back later to say that the rear door, while seeming to be a huge disadvantage initially has proven to be a non issue in reality. One or two still don't like it, but most say it really hasn't made a difference and many say they have come to like it better. I too have found it to be no big deal. Parallel parking or not, the door just doesn't seem to get in the way like we thought it would. In our experience, if a car has left themselves enough room to pull out safely (without alot of maneuvering) then it's also been enough room to open the tailgate as wide as we have ever needed. In other words, unless they are pushed up into your bumper, the door usually has enough room to open.

I'm gonna start an "unscientific Poll" and see if the side door really matters that much after all to folks who have lived with it awhile... See if that data holds up... For us it's just turned out to be no big deal...
Bareyb - since I am in the market for a GX470, I wanted to revive your thread again, since you brought up a great point 2 years ago with this thread - "WHAT the heck is this Swing out door all about?" I found myself in this same situation last week when I test drove the GX.

I find your latest update most reassuring since you have gone through this debate and now are even using the product on a daily basis. Thanks again for starting this thread and getting people to talk about it. I feel much better now about this swing out door.
Old 11-08-04, 05:23 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally posted by lexguynj
Bareyb - since I am in the market for a GX470, I wanted to revive your thread again, since you brought up a great point 2 years ago with this thread - "WHAT the heck is this Swing out door all about?" I found myself in this same situation last week when I test drove the GX.

I find your latest update most reassuring since you have gone through this debate and now are even using the product on a daily basis. Thanks again for starting this thread and getting people to talk about it. I feel much better now about this swing out door.
No problem. Glad I finally came to my senses. I should have known it would be no biggie. These kinds of worries are often unfounded in the real world. I would also like to add that our Lexus is perfect. It drives like a dream. No issues at all. It's also way too nice inside for an SUV! When you're in it, you feel like you are driving in a Luxury Sedan. My Kids love it too.
Old 05-25-06, 11:53 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Door

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo

Yes they should lose it, but I spoke to the Eastern Region Rep and he said it is ABSOLUTELY NOT changing.
I've gotten used to it and like it.

~ Cap
Old 03-19-17, 08:12 PM
mookiestar
Driver School Candidate

Default Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?

If there's anyone out there with any influence with Toyota/Lexus...please get word to appropriate division level management that the side-swinging door has got to go. It's a damn shame that a FINE vehicle has to be tainted by this, in my case, deal breaker feature. If it weren't for this, I'd have been driving a new GX 3 years ago and getting a new one later this fall. I can only hope the next major redesign includes changing to lift-gate. Until then....no Lexus for me.

BTW...the "closed poll" from years ago....70% say lose side-swing. Lexus.....you're not listening. Toyota...you need to fire some bull-headed management muckety-mucks at Lexus Div. who are standing in the way of sensible change. This stubbornness is costing you sales.
Old 03-20-17, 10:24 AM
Tguillama
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Split the door

Originally Posted by looknow12
Perhaps if they made it a split door with a hatch or a power window it would be acceptable.
I agree. A split door/ window combo would make it better than the swing door. Perhaps even a window that opens upwards with the swing door would be good too.
Old 09-24-21, 09:32 AM
ciclisti
Driver School Candidate

The barn door is just ridiculous. Even though the GX470 is a bit more comfy and upscale, we bought a 4th gen 4Runner V8 Limited because of the normal liftgate and the iconic opening rear window. Why they would insist on the silly side-opening door is ridiculous. The 4Runner liftgate goes up high and is one of the most useful things I have ever experienced in any car. Sure, no question, a GX is quieter, a bit more handsome inside, has nicer materials and a better overall suspension system.

But you cannot be serious about that stupid side-opening tailgate! The 4Runner design is rightly beloved by just about everyone who has ever driven a 4x4. I usually like Lexuses much more than ordinary Toyotas, but in this case not so. There are a couple of other little things I like a little more about the 4Runner -- including that it's more anonymous and understated -- but that barn door was a deal breaker, plain and simple.

Originally Posted by bareyb
Man. I was all but set to buy one of these things... In fact, my posts were some of the very first made in this forum! Then... I moved into a new house and started some remodeling. Lotsa trips to Home Depot with Sheetrock hanging out the open rear door of my RX. Can't imagine I'd be able to haul much of anything with the rear door open in the GX (which was set to be a replacement for the RX), unless of course I want to wipe out anyone in the lane next to me!

Nope, sadly, the side opening door has become a deal breaker. Any chance Lexus will will come to their senses and put a normal door on these things? Wishful thinking I suppose... But I can't believe I'm the only person who is taking a pass on these because of the side opening rear door... I just can't see me buying a truck (and yes, we do use our SUV's for hauling stuff) that can only be driven with the rear closed.
Old 09-24-21, 03:11 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ciclisti
The barn door is just ridiculous. Even though the GX470 is a bit more comfy and upscale, we bought a 4th gen 4Runner V8 Limited because of the normal liftgate and the iconic opening rear window. Why they would insist on the silly side-opening door is ridiculous. The 4Runner liftgate goes up high and is one of the most useful things I have ever experienced in any car. Sure, no question, a GX is quieter, a bit more handsome inside, has nicer materials and a better overall suspension system.

But you cannot be serious about that stupid side-opening tailgate! The 4Runner design is rightly beloved by just about everyone who has ever driven a 4x4. I usually like Lexuses much more than ordinary Toyotas, but in this case not so. There are a couple of other little things I like a little more about the 4Runner -- including that it's more anonymous and understated -- but that barn door was a deal breaker, plain and simple.
Holy thread resurrection Batman! I started this thread back in 2003! Lol. I ended up buying a GX470 and to be honest the side opening Tailgate was never once a problem and I forgot all about it almost immediately. It was a GREAT vehicle. Kept it for 10 years and never had a problem with it. I don't think I ever did anything but change the Oil. Very reliable.

Anyway, we basically raised our kids with it. A lot of good memories with that thing. It was the first vehicle we ever had that had Navigation. My wife and I took many a great road trip in it while the kids were young. Sold it for $2000.00 back in 2013 when I bought my Tesla. Also a great ride... Anyway thanks for the trip down memory lane! Enjoy your Forerunner! Toyota is a great company.

Last edited by bareyb; 09-24-21 at 03:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bareyb:
IanB2 (09-25-21), RPH74 (10-09-21)
Old 09-25-21, 09:56 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

The side swing isn't as bad as the rear window not being either a electric up/down or hinge flip like the LC's used to have.