GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?
YES! Lose the side opening door!
69.91%
NO! I like the side opening door
30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?

Old 11-06-04, 10:17 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Smiling over here. I can't parallel park to save my life. Well, now, with the backup camera and the tilting side view mirrors, going backwards to park is a breeze but I am not sure how much room there is at the front of the truck when going forward. That's why the intuitive parking would be a nice option.

I have to agree with you that the shift lever is longer than necessary.
Old 11-06-04, 10:23 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmmm. I really didn't answer your question. Out here when I run errands, workout or play tennis it's all parking lots and I simply avoid going places where parallel parking is required
Old 11-07-04, 03:45 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid design

The side opening rear hatch is the deal breaker for me. While the GX has a gorgeous interior, I personally like the exterior styling of the 4Runner Limited more. The "normal' opening door of the Runner along with the power windeow are great practical features. I have driuven both the V8 Runner and GX several times and come away felling the Runner has the better ride. While the GX is quieter, the Runner inspires more confidence, especially with the X-REAS suspension system. As I said, whilt the GX has a nicer interior, the ride, functionality, and incerased towing capacity of the Runner are my main reasons for going with that model when the '05 V8's s arrive this winter. Of course I relaly use my SUV's for camping, towing, etc.Besidesm there have been far fewer problems with eh Runner vs. the GX. I'll pocket the extra $ and buy my wife her BMW Z4.
Old 11-07-04, 05:31 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default Re: Stupid design

Originally posted by Gromulus
The side opening rear hatch is the deal breaker for me. While the GX has a gorgeous interior, I personally like the exterior styling of the 4Runner Limited more. The "normal' opening door of the Runner along with the power windeow are great practical features. I have driuven both the V8 Runner and GX several times and come away felling the Runner has the better ride. While the GX is quieter, the Runner inspires more confidence, especially with the X-REAS suspension system. As I said, whilt the GX has a nicer interior, the ride, functionality, and incerased towing capacity of the Runner are my main reasons for going with that model when the '05 V8's s arrive this winter. Of course I relaly use my SUV's for camping, towing, etc.Besidesm there have been far fewer problems with eh Runner vs. the GX. I'll pocket the extra $ and buy my wife her BMW Z4.
Rather short sighted of you, just because the 4runner is the "same" vehicle, built in the same factory as the GX470 and cost $15K less. Are you sure you won't rather spend the extra $15K???
Old 11-07-04, 07:10 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Stupid design

Originally posted by PitBull
Rather short sighted of you, just because the 4runner is the "same" vehicle, built in the same factory as the GX470 and cost $15K less. Are you sure you won't rather spend the extra $15K???
You're right. What was I thinking! Seriously, I am a firm believer in "getting what you pay for", but not in this case. I thought I was set on the GX until I kept comparing and test driving. If the GX had more of a controlled feelling on the road and had the rear hatch/window ala 4Runner, I would probably go that route - but not for $15K more. That interior is not worth the trade-offs IMHO. Although I would probably get some attention bringing a GX into the primitve camping areas I frequent!
Old 11-07-04, 07:14 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Stupid design

You're right. What was I thinking! Seriously, I am a firm believer in "getting what you pay for", but not in this case. I thought I was set on the GX until I kept comparing and test driving. If the GX had more of a controlled feelling on the road and had the rear hatch/window ala 4Runner, I would probably go that route - but not for $15K more. That interior is not worth the trade-offs IMHO. Although I would probably get some attention bringing a GX into the primitve camping areas I frequent!
A loaded 2005 4Runner V8 is a great alternative to a GX470! It's also easier to find a 4Runner with XREAS sports suspension than a GX470 with KDSS. As you mentioned, you will use it more for the outdoors, camping, etc, so you don't want to bring a 50K Lexus GX470 to the campgrounds a 4Runner is a much nicer and lower key alternative if the name plate is not an issue for you.
Old 11-07-04, 07:22 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Stupid design

Originally posted by lexguynj
A loaded 2005 4Runner V8 is a great alternative to a GX470! It's also easier to find a 4Runner with XREAS sports suspension than a GX470 with KDSS. As you mentioned, you will use it more for the outdoors, camping, etc, so you don't want to bring a 50K Lexus GX470 to the campgrounds a 4Runner is a much nicer and lower key alternative if the name plate is not an issue for you.
I concur, although the MSRP of a loaded '05 270HP V8 4Runner Limited w/NAV is about $43 K. Even at the same $ I really do like the Runner better, especially the driving dynamics. It just feels more controlled to me with less body lean. I have been test driving and comparing for many months now: Crossovers and truck-based SUVs: RX330, Acura MDX, Pilot, new Pathfinder, GX, Volvo XC90, VW Toureg. The 4Runner keeps calling me back though.
Old 11-07-04, 07:26 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

By the way in addition to that strange swing out side door, the door integrated into the rear of the GX makes the GX look tall as heck! I know it's slightly taller than a 4runner, but the elongated rear look of the GX makes the truck look abnormally tall at times. Makes you wonder if it can fit anywhere, but I'm sure it's all normal in the end.
Old 11-07-04, 07:33 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof line

By the way in addition to that strange swing out side door, the door integrated into the rear of the GX makes the GX look tall as heck! I know it's slightly taller than a 4runner, but the elongated rear look of the GX makes the truck look abnormally tall at times. Makes you wonder if it can fit anywhere, but I'm sure it's all normal in the end.

The GX is taller than the Runner. Perhaps that added to my feeling that the GX was more "tippy". Anyhow I'm only 5'7" and my wife is only 5'2" so headroom is not a problem for us.

lexguynj,

As an side, how do you like your 330i? I have always loved the handling and "toss ability" of the 3 series - perhaps more so than any sedan I have ever driven. I live in the snow belt and have been trying to talk my wife into a 330xi. I have heard mixed reviews on BMW's AWD system. I know the 3 series has been one of the more reliable European cars but I must admit a certain comfort level with Toyota/ Lexus and even Honda/Acura that makes me hesitate on other brands. What are your impressions and experience?
Old 11-07-04, 11:36 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Roof line

lexguynj,

As an side, how do you like your 330i? I have always loved the handling and "toss ability" of the 3 series - perhaps more so than any sedan I have ever driven. I live in the snow belt and have been trying to talk my wife into a 330xi. I have heard mixed reviews on BMW's AWD system. I know the 3 series has been one of the more reliable European cars but I must admit a certain comfort level with Toyota/ Lexus and even Honda/Acura that makes me hesitate on other brands. What are your impressions and experience? [/B]
Hey Gromulus,

The 330i with Sports Package is an amazing vehicle (looks great with the staggered fat width tires) and I too was concerned about the BMW reliability, but knock on wood, this car has been as reliable as my Lexus (no major issues) and maintenance is breeze, since you only go back each 10K-15K miles and it's all included (my additional comments are in this thread below).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139641

I am not so familiar with the 330XI (AWD) ride / performance, but just keep in mind the newly revamped 3 series is coming out summer of next year (sooner or later) and from what I see now it looks great!
Old 11-08-04, 03:17 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by robinzon
For those of you who have not bothered to even look before complaining about the door...
if you look a bit more carefully there is LOCK on the door, so you CAN indeed haul stuff in the trunk with the door open as you can LATCH IT OPEN.... besides, if you bought a Lexus thinking that you will be hauling crap in the trunk I highly suggest you review your priorities... I mean yes I did have stuff in my 4runner but then again the rear window lowered so there was never a need to leave the door open while driving and no one ever said its healthy to have the door sit open like that and drive at 60+ mph.... so if you want to haul get a F350... or something .... Lexus is a fine vehicle made for driving and not neccessarily for using it as a flat bed... lets all admit to that. Yes its nice to haul the jet ski, but its a trailer not a 8 foot long plank... I mean if you are rich enough to have GX470 as your HAUL AROUND TRUCK, I would mail lexus a suggestion to make a Flatbed...
Great comment!

My 2-cents: Each of us who purchased the GX470 did so for particular, personal reasons. I bought the GX for my wife, who had been driving an Isuzu Trooper (which had a large rear door that swung from right to left, and a smaller one that swung from left to right). I bought her the GX because I believe that it is without peer in its class. The fact that the rear door opens from left to right (rather than bottom-up, split, etc.), did not factor into my choosing the GX. However, as an afterthought, I like the way the rear door on the GX opens because it is that much easier for my wife to handle. In thinking about this feature some more, I wonder whether Lexus deliberately designed the door on the GX this way (swing-out, as opposed to lift) to make the vehicle more accessible to shorter people.
Old 11-08-04, 04:36 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LeslieRC
Great comment!

My 2-cents: Each of us who purchased the GX470 did so for particular, personal reasons. I bought the GX for my wife, who had been driving an Isuzu Trooper (which had a large rear door that swung from right to left, and a smaller one that swung from left to right). I bought her the GX because I believe that it is without peer in its class. The fact that the rear door opens from left to right (rather than bottom-up, split, etc.), did not factor into my choosing the GX. However, as an afterthought, I like the way the rear door on the GX opens because it is that much easier for my wife to handle. In thinking about this feature some more, I wonder whether Lexus deliberately designed the door on the GX this way (swing-out, as opposed to lift) to make the vehicle more accessible to shorter people.
Hi LeslieRC,

My future GX purchase will also be primarily for my wife. Have you ever been concerned about her parking her GX in a normal shopping parking lot (car head in - not parallel parked - can't even use the door when parked that way) and having to handle your kid and the groceries at the same time with that swing out door protruding into the parking lot where cars drive back and forth?

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but making it easier for women & shorter people to have the swing out door rather than the hatch is fine, but is there really a danger for that door sticking out that much into the parking lot that someone driving by could clip it by accident?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-04, 05:11 AM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default BMW 330i

lexguynj,

Thanks for the 330i info. Glad to hear you are happy with it. With the newly redisigned 3 series due this coming year I suppose we should wait and see how they rate. Hopefully BMW won't sacrifice the driving dynamics of the model. Perhaps we would be able to get a good deal on the "old" series at that time.
Old 11-08-04, 06:17 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi LeslieRC,

My future GX purchase will also be primarily for my wife. Have you ever been concerned about her parking her GX in a normal shopping parking lot (car head in - not parallel parked - can't even use the door when parked that way) and having to handle your kid and the groceries at the same time with that swing out door protruding into the parking lot where cars drive back and forth?

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but making it easier for women & shorter people to have the swing out door rather than the hatch is fine, but is there really a danger for that door sticking out that much into the parking lot that someone driving by could clip it by accident?

Thanks.
I understand your point. So far, that hasn't been a concern for us. However, as I indicated before, it has to be what works for you. My experience on those occasions has been that the rear door, when opened, did not pose a hazard (at least, she/we did not perceive any danger). The Trooper's rear door was almost as large (plus it had a spare tire attached) as the GX's and it never posed a problem.

This is a great forum!
Old 11-08-04, 08:21 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LeslieRC
I understand your point. So far, that hasn't been a concern for us. However, as I indicated before, it has to be what works for you. My experience on those occasions has been that the rear door, when opened, did not pose a hazard (at least, she/we did not perceive any danger). The Trooper's rear door was almost as large (plus it had a spare tire attached) as the GX's and it never posed a problem.

This is a great forum!
This is a great forum and I appreciate your feedback and help in this matter! It's the best getting answers from actual owners of the vehicle that have already put these vehicles to every daily use!

Your words make me feel better about this side door!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should Lexus Lose the Side Opening Rear Door?