GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking at 2004 - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 07:24 PM
mcscott528
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2004 - thoughts?

I'm looking to buy a 1st gen GX 470 as my daily driver and occasional tow vehicle for my camper.

Found a 2004 with only 108k miles from a local independent dealer for $11,900 (asking price). He purchased it from a Honda dealer who took it on trade. Needless to say, no service records.

He provided a clean AutoCheck (no accidents) and I'll call my local Lexus dealer to check the VIN for service records. I'm mainly interested in whether the timing belt and water pump have been replaced and if the dash can still be replaced by dealer due to recall (dash is cracked). I'll also have my mechanic check it out.

Otherwise the car car looks and drives great. Seller replaced air suspension bags and I can see the back go up and down.

I'm not expecting to discover much about the service history and I'll try to negotiate a better price given uncertainty over timing belt replacement. But the asking price seems competitive compared to other listings. Thoughts? Concerns? Fair price given facts? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-17, 08:28 AM
maddtv
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You definitely need to negotiate on the price. I have a 2006 with the same exact mileage and I was only offered 10k from the Lexus dealership for a trade. Of course I declined and kept my truck. So, I think you should bargain your way down to 10.5k. Bear in mind that the truck is 13 years old. Good luck.
Old 02-12-17, 08:39 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

You can visit the Lexus website and enter the VIN, and get the Lexus service records for the vehicle, might provide some insight into it's history and make your decision easier.
The following users liked this post:
mcscott528 (02-14-17)
Old 02-12-17, 11:50 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was going to look at mine, I called my friend who is a salesman there, I was looking for a SUV, when he called me to tell me what he found, I wasnt too impressed. He called back after finding the GX, the next words were, open the hood, look around for the timing belt sticker. He called back and it was done! Sticker right on top.

I would find out if the dash is warrantied still and use that for your benefit to get the price lower. Along with the dash, the wood trim on the doors get very small cracks in them also.
YES check service records through Lexus!!!!!

I agree with maddtv, price is too high, but without knowing the color, condition etc. its hard to say. The vehicle report mat have came back clean, but not everyone, meaning, independent shops, mechanical and body report to those places. I wasnt aware that Lexus supplied the maint. history until after I bought mine. I am a very firm believer in preventative maintenance, myself. I got very lucky, who owned my GX had the services done like I do!

Take your time, if you know any local indy shops have them do a purchase inspection. Yes you will be spending money for it, but 1. it helps negotiate the price. 2. its piece of mind!

I love going to buy cars, its a game to me, if I dont get MY price, I get up and leave. The last time I did that was for a truck I was going to buy no matter what, had a few small issues, wasn't new only had 8 thousand miles on it. So after I had it inspected, I used that to my power. The assistant sales manager thought he had me, I went in the next day to close on the deal, and said, xyb needs to be done, so I had my bank write the loan for $500 less. The assistant sales manager said, sorry cant do that. I said, sorry you lost a sale. THIS is where the fun starts! (like I said, I was buying it) So I got up, shook the salesman's hand, and walked out of the office, slowly. Went to the truck (they let me take it home the prior day) then started to think hmmmm, no one stopped me on the way out. I started to go and look through the truck, ya know, "incase" I left something in it! It was clear. Now Im thinking, hmmmm ok, Ill get in my old truck, wait a bit for a call, 10 15 min or just go drive around the block and pull back in! Damn it they won! As soon as I closed the driver door, the manager was on the other side! He goes whats going on? I told him, he said, you have a deal! Please come back in!

The more details the better knowledge, knowledge is negotiating power! Good Luck!
IanB2 (02-13-17)
Old 02-12-17, 10:13 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

You can post the vin here and I can check the service record for you or you can do yourself just create a user on Lexus drivers, you can always take it to firestone and they'll do a through inspection for you for 80-100$ that I think will give you a very idea on the under carriage as well as any leaks and suspension condition also.
Old 02-13-17, 10:55 AM
andyaspen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same year GX with slightly less mileage bought in October 2016. Given the cost of the 90K/timing belt, water pump service...you may want to negotiate a lower price to cover the cost of that work. A few things I found on mine: check the wheels for rust/bubbling and check the interior wood trim on the doors and dash for cracks. I believe you still have time to get on the list to have the dash replaced if cracked. Otherwise, go for it. Great trucks!
Old 02-13-17, 11:10 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by andyaspen
I have the same year GX with slightly less mileage bought in October 2016. Given the cost of the 90K/timing belt, water pump service...you may want to negotiate a lower price to cover the cost of that work. A few things I found on mine: check the wheels for rust/bubbling and check the interior wood trim on the doors and dash for cracks. I believe you still have time to get on the list to have the dash replaced if cracked. Otherwise, go for it. Great trucks!
+++ mine were bubbled up and the dash was cracked along with cracking leather on the front seats. These I think are more of a wear and tear I think as Lexus replaced the dash for me and I spent around 200 to get the wheels redone and around 300 to the front seats done. So if can negotiate all that these are trucks are great.
Old 02-13-17, 06:17 PM
mcscott528
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the tips. I have a Lexus dealer doing the inspection tomorrow and will report back. I drove it tonight from the seller and notice a few other items: 1) pulls to the right under moderate braking and 2) cracked right rear taillight.

Another question: are all 2004's with tow package rated for 6,500# towing capacity? I read somewhere (not this site) that it was mid-year 2004 that the towing capacity was upgraded to 6,500# from 5,000#. Thanks.
Old 02-13-17, 07:17 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcscott528
Thanks for all the tips. I have a Lexus dealer doing the inspection tomorrow and will report back. I drove it tonight from the seller and notice a few other items: 1) pulls to the right under moderate braking and 2) cracked right rear taillight.

Another question: are all 2004's with tow package rated for 6,500# towing capacity? I read somewhere (not this site) that it was mid-year 2004 that the towing capacity was upgraded to 6,500# from 5,000#. Thanks.
I believe the tow rating is based on the hitch design. The 6500lb rated OEM Lexus / Toyota hitch bolts to both frame rails and then to the center of the rear bumper beam. Normal hitches (Drawtite, Curt, etc) only bolt to the frame rails and have 5000lb ratings. The initial hitch offered by Lexus with the tow package was a "pintle" hitch which only bolted to the center of the bumper beam and had a 5000lb rating. I don't know the year, but Lexus changed their offering to the 3 point solution I described. If I am correct, and I believe I am, the new hitch design and the upgraded towing capacity happened at the same time.
mcscott528 (02-14-17)
Old 02-14-17, 09:02 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Pulling while braking could be a seized front brake caliper, very common on these trucks.
Old 02-14-17, 06:06 PM
mcscott528
Driver School Candidate

Soooo.....Lexus Dealer noted timing belt, replace front calipers and pads and leaking CV boots. They noted other items like flush transmission, light bulbs, etc. The seller (independent dealer) didn't even want to bother with the dealer's report and basically told me to get lost. Apparently he had something to hide so I'm considering the $135 I spent as Lexus as a small price for getting bigger (and more expensive) problems. Sooo... I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the good advice.
Old 02-14-17, 06:54 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Soooo.....Lexus Dealer noted timing belt, replace front calipers and pads and leaking CV boots. They noted other items like flush transmission, light bulbs, etc. The seller (independent dealer) didn't even want to bother with the dealer's report and basically told me to get lost. Apparently he had something to hide so I'm considering the $135 I spent as Lexus as a small price for getting bigger (and more expensive) problems. Sooo... I'll keep looking. Thanks for all the good advice.

Smart move! RED FLAG! It might of been hard to walk away from, but you will find THE 1. I would have done the same as you!
Old 02-15-17, 12:00 PM
pennswoods
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you made a smart decision. Hope you find one that doesn't have any red tape.