GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Being told my "clunk" is actually transmission going out. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 08:59 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mljohnson2
Yea it's strange though because I don't think it actually fails to go into gear. It's between 40-50mph every once in awhile (some days not at all) you'll start to get a shudder. I've actually gotten quite good at immediately letting off the accelerator just enough for it to stop but not lose headway.

It's never happened outside of that speed range so I'm thinking near 5th gear or torque converter lockup.
I also remember my Service Rep telling me that cars after 06 have fly by wire throttle (whatever the heck is that I D K) which is a known problem too and he refused to take a look at the transmission. After that i took it in for Trans Fluid Flush BTW they don't need to drop the pan and change the filter for the FLUSH. At dealerships esp lexus.. its done via some kind of machine. And they use some sort of detergent as well to clean up the lines etc. So even if you have brass particles in it they would be flush out with pressure and transmission will be smooth once again as in my case.

Always Remember Service Advisor / Reps are Sales People... more they sell more money they can make. Plus Transmission on 09 year is not going to go that soon. So take it some where else and get it flushed. My $.02
Old 01-24-17, 09:20 AM
mljohnson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only question is whether I should have them go ahead and change spark plugs. I noticed in your other thread that you did that as well at the same time? Could the issues be linked and how much did they charge for $130?
Old 01-24-17, 10:22 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

The only question is whether I should have them go ahead and change spark plugs. I noticed in your other thread that you did that as well at the same time? Could the issues be linked and how much did they charge for $130?

I think i paid around $250 for the flush and i did spark plugs my self.

Usually dealers have specials so check their website or just negotiate with them they do price match with other area dealers.
Old 01-24-17, 11:49 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

NO fluid is LIFETIME! It goes through and serves the same purposes as any other fluid. BMW, Mercedes, VW ANY vehicle that has a sealed transmission "that is not serviceable" IS serviceable. Their "lifetime" SLOGAN means how ever long the trans lasts, their repair procedure is to REPLACE the trans! Imo quite ridiculous! People hear LIFETIME, and think forever, when it really means, when it goes, it goes, replace it.

It does sound like lock up. The frictions are not made of brass in a transmission. There are other parts that are. If you are keeping the vehicle, might want to talk and do some research on what usually goes bad, maybe you will get some insight. Sounds almost like part of the valve body.
Old 01-24-17, 01:33 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Find another GX on a car lot and trade yours in on that one , all you lose is the tread in value
Old 01-24-17, 01:37 PM
mljohnson2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luap
Find another GX on a car lot and trade yours in on that one , all you lose is the tread in value
I've had it for 4 months. I would lose probably $1,800-2,000 on trading in it and paying off the bank. It would end up about the same as buying a new trans.

Not to mention it has a new radiator, brakes, and I just did Timing Belt/Water Pump. It would practically be a new truck with a new trans.
Old 01-24-17, 03:38 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I think I would have a 2nd opinion before getting a new transmission.

Also, $500 to check out the fluid is awfully steep, and that's money down the drain if you do indeed replace the transmission.
Old 01-24-17, 08:46 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Have it flushed at a Toyota dealership. Might be cheaper than the $500 they quoted
Old 01-25-17, 09:29 AM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck has been doing the exact same thing for over a year now. My assumption was torque converter. Really curious to hear your outcome.
Old 01-25-17, 10:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you should change the fluid every 100k or so if you want it to stay in good shape. no such thing as lifetime fluid, and that is not why they removed the dipstick. Actually my 2003 model has a dipstick, they removed it in 2004 for some reason.... I think that they just didn't want you to mess with it, and to bring it in to them for the service. refilling the fluid with the dipstick is so much easier than pumping fluid underneath the car.

They generally use the flush machine at the dealer and hook it up to the trans cooler lines in front of the radiator, so for them it doesn't make much of a difference.
Old 01-25-17, 10:51 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

When I had my shop I had a "Trans Vac" it is a machine you hook up to the lines and does replace all fluid with new fluid, which imo is the only way to go. I could pause the machine and drop the pan if the gasket was leaking or if the filter was serviceable. Again, my opinion, new fluid and new filter is the right way to do it. It is pressurized and even renews the fluid in the torque converter and all the passage ways throughout the valve body. But when something is breaking up in there, it can cause more damage which means more $. You have to really watch these trans shops. I worked for 1, for a SHORT period of time after I found out they would remove the trans, clean and inspect it, then fix ONLY what was wrong and say ir was rebuilt! So if the steels and frictions 4-5 were burnt, they would replace those and thats it! Then they would tell them they needed a new torque converter, "oh well its not part of the engine, or transmission, its in between" (some truth to that). If the valve body was damaged or needed to be replaced, then you are getting into some serious $. It depends on what the shop quotes you and what they consider a "rebuild" so do your research!
Old 01-25-17, 04:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

If mine ever goes its getting a manual swap and LHD pedals from a prado (yes they do make them but are rare).
Old 01-26-17, 12:30 PM
mljohnson2
Driver School Candidate

Service Advisor just called and said they flushed trans, put in new filter, fluids, and gasket. He said they drove it for a good while and he said "It helped a little bit but I still suggest you replace it". I flat out told him that wasn't going to happen and I'd be there to pick it up today. I'll report back after I drive it.

I'm not sure what he means by that since it was only on occasion when it happened in the first place.
Old 01-26-17, 01:03 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Service Advisor just called and said they flushed trans, put in new filter, fluids, and gasket. He said they drove it for a good while and he said "It helped a little bit but I still suggest you replace it". I flat out told him that wasn't going to happen and I'd be there to pick it up today. I'll report back after I drive it.

I'm not sure what he means by that since it was only on occasion when it happened in the first place.
Good It will go away eventually just give it a good amount of driving....

You Definitely Don't Need a Trans...
Old 01-27-17, 06:38 AM
mljohnson2
Driver School Candidate

So far so good.. I've only felt the shudder once and it was much lighter than it was before. I'm thinking it may clear up completely after a bit more driving. The truck actually drives better to me, shifts smoother and is more seamless. The cost however was insane. I got flat out robbed by the dealership.

$702 for flush, filter, gasket, fluids, oil change, and labor

I would have gone to Toyota had they not already had it apart.
The following users liked this post:
wjmead00 (02-04-17)

Quick Reply: Being told my "clunk" is actually transmission going out. Help!!