GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Cargo Door Pocket Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 09:07 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Cargo Door Pocket Ideas

I have a 2007 GX470. Love it. Accept a couple minor annoyances I want to deal with. The cargo door has a small net with an elastic cord threaded through the top of it. I guess the use is for extra space to hold things one might want to keep there, not sure exactly what it's intended purpose is. I'm sure many of you know.

What I would like to do is perform some kind of mod to make this little cavity in the door panel more useful. Not sure what I want to end up putting in it, but surely there is a better way to use this space than the flimsy net.

Suggestions?

Ideas?

Anyone actually done some kind of useful mod for this space?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-09-17, 06:35 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to recommend things from another brand of vehicle on this forum. But speaking as a former Jeep fanatic, I can tell you the storage options for Jeeps are crazy and can also be applied to our GX's. Browse over on some of the Wrangler online stores and look at whats available.

http://www.4wditalia.com/wp-content/...gate-Cover.jpg
Old 01-09-17, 07:21 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

No mods. I just keep some terrycloth towels there and some spare socks.

Chip H.
Old 01-09-17, 04:35 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Thank you, mustangpro. I don't see any price / order info on the Jeep gate storage bags. But, they do look pretty handy. I was thinking someone here may have built a hard bag from fiberglass, or something that could be permanently attached, but clearly you have the idea. Thank you.

Chiph9, I don't know what to think about the sox, but thank you for your input.
Old 01-09-17, 05:20 PM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor
Thank you, mustangpro. I don't see any price / order info on the Jeep gate storage bags. But, they do look pretty handy. I was thinking someone here may have built a hard bag from fiberglass, or something that could be permanently attached, but clearly you have the idea. Thank you.

Chiph9, I don't know what to think about the sox, but thank you for your input.
If you ever step out of the car and straight into a puddle is the only use I could think of.
The following users liked this post:
dtaylor (01-09-17)
Old 01-10-17, 06:49 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Mud & puddles, mostly. But they're also useful to put your hands into for clearing the windows.

Chip H.
Old 01-10-17, 01:12 PM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol @ spare socks. I keep mine packed with koozies.
Old 01-10-17, 01:47 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would take the panel off and look at the door frame. Depending on how deep and the size, a dremel comes to mind, or maybe check some salvage places and get a used door panel. Modify the used one or combine them both! A plastic welder, dremel, extra door panel, maybe some 3M carbon fiber vinyl for finishing, sounds doable to me.
Old 01-11-17, 05:10 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Good suggestion Diablo. Just hard for me to believe no one has done some sort of easily repeatable, or even manufactured utility box of some kind for this space. I know all 1st get GX's have them...

With the scant storage in these vehicles up front, I cannot be the only one wanting or needing more useful storage.

Thank you
Old 01-11-17, 01:30 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I have a 03, I have the net, which I believe was supposed to hold a orange plastic foldable triangle that you use as a caution device incase of a flat tire or breakdown. Im sure you know what I mean. To the left, rear door open and facing the net is a door that holds a tool kit. Its pretty shallow and locks and unlocks by turning 2 spin type retainers. Is that the area you are talking about?
Old 01-16-17, 07:58 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Diablo, I'm talking about the net. It's flimsy and a very poor quality, unusable IMO. I dig the tool kit. If they had put half as much thinking into the net area we wouldn't be having this discussion. It needs some kind of practical storage solution in that place where the impractical unusable net is.
Old 01-16-17, 02:13 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

You threw me off when you said all 1st gens have them, I got ya now. Yes the nets are flimsy, mine doesnt even appeared to be used or stretched. It all depends on what kind of design ypo want. Like a box mounted to the door, cutting and modifying the actual panel, depth size. etc. If you are looking for something like the tool storage, I would find a used panel and or a door or 2 like the tool storage 1. Remove the back panel, see what room and area you have to work with. Maybe even cut that entire section off the used panel, cut your panel and mount it to the rear panel.

If that doesnt make sense, or you are interested about what I said, let me know, sometimes its hard to get the ideas out of my head and into words, damn A.D.D!
Old 01-16-17, 03:15 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep a jacket and a bigger (better) first aid kit in that pouch.
Old 01-18-17, 09:13 AM
gsp480
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe have a "zippered bag" of some type made from canvas. Attach snaps in each 4 corners and drill and mount the receiving snaps in the door. Snap in/out as needed. Not that you could carry much more there but it wouldn't sag.
Old 01-20-17, 05:45 AM
mljohnson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could probably pretty easily find a section of MOLLE canvas to attach into the space with snaps (so it can be removed). You can then attach anything to it that's MOLLE adaptable.

Quick Reply: Cargo Door Pocket Ideas