GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Techstream to program new key

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 09:02 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Techstream to program new key

Hi guys,
I have the techstream on order just waiting now. I bought a key from 1010keys. I read the thread on here with instructions on how to install techsteam software which I remember pointed to a 4runner forum.

But I have not seen actual instructions on how to get the actual key program in the menus. I need the chip programmed and also the remote itself to lock/unlock doors. I read a thread that talked about how to program the lock/unlock without techstream, but someone said it was easier with the techstream, and since I bought it I might as well. But I could not find any actual instructions on how to do it! Can you guys point me in the right direction please? 2007 GX470

BTW, this is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Replac...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Im hoping it will work with a 2007 GX?

Last edited by maxse; 01-01-17 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-01-17, 10:34 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-470-a.html
Old 01-01-17, 03:41 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks, I saw that video, but it doesn't use techstream to program the lock/unlock feature. I thought the lock/unlock can be done with techstream also so you wouldn't have to jump through all the hoops of locking/unlocking doors, etc... Thanks anyway guys, I'll try this when I get my techstream
Old 01-02-17, 05:10 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4...echstream.html

These instructions are exactly how I have done it in the past. Have done it several times with different cars.
Old 01-02-17, 07:12 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Max,

The biggest hurdle you will face is getting software to work. I believe you are referring to my old post and link on how to make the software to work on windows 10.
I managed to get it working on windows 10, if you have old laptop with windows 98 it works without the hack.

The Techstream can do the lock and lock for you. Once you have it installed and connected its easy.
Old 01-02-17, 10:04 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gxman1
Max,

The biggest hurdle you will face is getting software to work. I believe you are referring to my old post and link on how to make the software to work on windows 10.
I managed to get it working on windows 10, if you have old laptop with windows 98 it works without the hack.

The Techstream can do the lock and lock for you. Once you have it installed and connected its easy.
Yes, thanks GxMan! It was your post. Don't have an old laptop, just want to make sure I have it ready. What setting do I go into to pgram the lock/unlock part of the remote. It's not immobilizer... For some reason all videos I've seen show how to program the chip but then do the door thing opening and closing to program the remote...
Old 01-02-17, 02:52 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Its been a while, but IIRC there was no issue with lock and unlock, once its programmed they keys will work to lock and unlock/ and arm. I remember vaguely, I am having 1 fob that locks/unlocks, I programmed a new key without lock/unlock button and deleted my only fob with lock/unlock, i reprogrammed my only key with lock/unlock no issues.

Pay attention to my post and the link, like I said the hard part is getting Techstream to work on PC, I managed to do it with windows 10 and the instructed provided in my previous post.
I never did the whole lengthy manual thing to lock and unlock.
Old 01-03-17, 04:29 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a xhorse cable and software on ebay for a 64 bit setup. the seller is OBDFAMILY
Old 01-03-17, 01:40 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

So I followed all the steps, windows 8 actually installed the driver seemed like everything was good. As soon as I try to connect it asks me for reg code, I hit "Evaluate" then a popup comes up saying the version I have which is like 10.something, expired Sept 2016 and I have to download an update and it takes me to the toyota web site!

So I uninstalled techstream and installed the version the version v.8, then I got the classic error that people got. So Im giving up lol.
Took me 2 hours or so to go through everything.

What should I do, shold I find a used XP laptop or get the 64 bit as Burny suggested?
Old 01-03-17, 02:18 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've noticed the newer techstream versions require you to "register" which a bunch of shady shops will do with no relation to the maker of the software. Best bet as long as you have a older vehicle (like the GX) is to use the older techstream and follow the instructions to make it play nice with 64-bit windows:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

I programmed a couple keys on mine with no issue, been years though.
Old 01-05-17, 08:04 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Wow guys I did it! Thanks shadowmite and gxman!

Here is what I suspect is the big problem. The antivirus automatically deletes the firmwareupdatetool and also one of the .dll files.

It did detect it as one of the Trojan viruses! I was a bit concerned turn antivirus off. But once I turned AV off and replaced those 2 files it worked! Thanks guys!

I turned off the telescoping wheel and programmed new key and remote, deleted the old one.
I remember reading someone said there was an option to not automatically turn the AC on whenever heat is pressed on the climate control. But I couldn't find it?

Now, any thoughts on the trojans? lol
Old 01-06-17, 05:24 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Max,

I am assuming the lock/unlock is resolved?

As I said the biggest hurdle was the software installation. I played with lot of setting I turned off my yellow daylight running light, and change the timer for interior lights, cant remmeber all of the setting I did.

I am not sure if that file contains virus, IIRC i uploaded that dll file to virus scanners online and I think it was ok. I used a broked old laptop which is now sitting with grease gun as my tool..lol. I pull out when I need to do some car work requiring computer.

keep in mind you will break your key shell again, I have changed it 3 times already, just buy the shell from 1010 keys on ebay and swap the interior part.
Old 01-06-17, 06:10 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If do you turn the AC-on-when-defrost-is-on feature off, make sure you run it occasionally in the winter so the seals in the compressor stay lubed up.

Chip H.
Old 01-06-17, 07:02 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I also found turning off the running lights to be a good thing. Some people like them though. Lots of options to explore in that software.
Old 01-06-17, 04:45 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

+1, thats is why in cold climate many vehicle owners have AC issues. Here in Arizona we run AC almost 11 months, and the AC never goes off, it always stays on. The more I use the better it is.

Originally Posted by chiph9
If do you turn the AC-on-when-defrost-is-on feature off, make sure you run it occasionally in the winter so the seals in the compressor stay lubed up.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: Techstream to program new key