GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thanks for all the help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 02:41 PM
andyaspen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for all the help

Hello GX 1st Gen folks, I just wanted to say thanks for all the help as I browsed the threads before purchasing my GX. It's a 2004 with 104,100 miles and so far so good. Just had the 90,000 mile service done (timing belt, water pump...) and recently got on the list with our closest Lexus dealer (4 hour drive each way) to have the cracked dash and wood trim pieces on the front doors replaced. I'm told it's a 9 month wait. Oh well. Just need to decide which a/t tires to put on this spring. I look forward to being a part of the GX community.
Old 12-27-16, 08:01 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and welcome aboard. The GX is a solid lux SUV, in my experience. I expect your experience will match mine.

Tell me me about the wood that needs replacing. Is it related to the no-charge dash replacement?

Michelin M/S2 tires rate quite well here which I can personally vouch for, but they've been replaced now by an updated version named Defender LTX M/S. Search it up.

Also consider contacting Xenon Depot to upgrade the output of your factory headlights. It's a straightforward upgrade and Xenon Depot has top notch customer service to boot. I'm not going back to stock halogens. Again, search it up.

Enjoy!
Old 12-28-16, 08:56 AM
andyaspen
Driver School Candidate

Johnny Rad, thanks for the tire and headlight suggestions. I will look into both. Like many of you I'm going to opt for the 70 aspect tire instead of the standard 65. The wood trim pieces on both front doors have shallow cracks but apparently fall under the same enhanced warranty program as the cracked dashboards. Thanks to this forum for pointing this out.
Old 12-28-16, 03:58 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by andyaspen
Hello GX 1st Gen folks, I just wanted to say thanks for all the help as I browsed the threads before purchasing my GX. It's a 2004 with 104,100 miles and so far so good. Just had the 90,000 mile service done (timing belt, water pump...) and recently got on the list with our closest Lexus dealer (4 hour drive each way) to have the cracked dash and wood trim pieces on the front doors replaced. I'm told it's a 9 month wait. Oh well. Just need to decide which a/t tires to put on this spring. I look forward to being a part of the GX community.

I had my dash replaced about a year or so ago. I had to go on a waiting list also. It was a bit under the time they told me. I also would like to know about the doors and wood tim! PLEASE! What is wrong? Condition of yours? Anything and details would be great!
Old 12-28-16, 04:41 PM
andyaspen
Driver School Candidate

DiabloX22,here is what I know...after finding out about the cracked dash replacement in this forum I also read that members were also asking about cracked wood trim pieces, worn seats..., so I had a good look at my truck and found that the wood trim pieces on both front doors had hairline cracks across the length of them. The trim pieces on the rear doors are fine. Last week I called Lexus Corp. to ask if there was any chance that their enhanced warranty extended to any other issues we may be having. They rep on the phone told me that they will cover the wood trim pieces and to either take pictures and send to the dealer or go by a dealership to have them take a look. Since I live 4 hours from the closest Lexus dealer I took pictures and emailed them. The Lexus dealer is supposed to get back to me as soon as they receive approval from corporate and I will post here what they tell me. Yes, it is always possible the rep on the phone got it wrong and we'll find out soon enough. Just in case I did start searching for these pieces online and they are hard to find, so if anyone knows a source please chime in. Thanks.
Old 12-28-16, 05:09 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thank you andyaspen! I am going to look at mine. Just a note, the dash is under warranty I THINK there was a date on it, but cant remember, I can look into it if you want. I called my local dealership for the 1st time and talked to the parts guy, he put me on the list, not service or Lexus corp. If you get a hard time from them, let me know, I am pretty good at this stuff. I took Pontiac to the BBB and won, they had to buy a new Trans Am back from me of course back in the day. Besides with the recall, they had to make plenty of them!
Old 12-31-16, 12:08 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently also purchased a 2004 GX470 with 175k, and Lexus has already ordered me the dash and after reaching out to Lexus Customer Service they have agreed to fix the clunk as long as I pay for the labor.

Here's what else I have done thus far:
1) Suspension (all shocks were worn and could not pass inspection)
2) Updated the headlights (HID), fogs, and high beams using Xenon Depot...wow, what a difference.
3) Replaced tires with Michelin's, will soon try snow driving so I will see how they are then.
4) Had some leather work done since front seats, armrests, and steering wheel had either the leather cracking and peeling or rubbed off.
5) Mine was missing a few engine covers and wheel well rubber covers. You can get cheap OEM parts at DiscountPartsMonster.com
6) Added a USA SPEC BT45 bluetooth audio/phone kit specifically made for Lexus/Toyota and now I have handsfree phone and I can stream audio through all of my speakers and can even use my wheel controls. 2004 Lexus GX470 did not come with bluetooth. I love this addition. I even turned off my built in bluetooth on my 2006 Lexus GS300 and put this same kit into that car because it is that good. I used to use only VAIS tech products but they do not have anything that combines phone and audio streaming and it's now a law in my state to be handsfree when talking on the phone.

Big thanks to this board for the wealth of knowledge for me to be able to get my GX470 to my standards as believe me it was in very rough shape when I first got it.
The following users liked this post:
DiabloX22 (12-31-16)
Old 12-31-16, 01:14 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Levisoy what hands free/blue tooth kit did you install?
Old 12-31-16, 01:33 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Levisoy what hands free/blue tooth kit did you install?
https://www.amazon.com/USA-BT45-TOY-...usa+spec+bt-45

It works great in both my 2004 GX470 and 2006 GS300. Both of my vehicles have NAV and ML. With this kit you need to use their mic so I ran it up to the far right pillar on the front windshield and attached with double sided tape and took off the cover to the mic and you barely notice it. Everything sounds and works well. Also, remember unlike the new cars where everything is integrated into the factory system so you can go from media to satellite to a phone call and the volume stays the same throughout, here the volume is a bit higher when using bluetooth audio or on a phone call and then switching back to say Satelite or FM. That would be the only drawback but still very much worth it for me.

On the GS, I also bought an USB flush mount connector and ran it to my center console so I can charge straight from the USB using the USASPEC kit. It came out looking very stock and cool.
The following users liked this post:
DiabloX22 (12-31-16)
Old 12-31-16, 01:52 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thank you! I am going to look into it!!!!! WOW sounds really good! Any tips mounting it or anything? Did you lose any features? You said it works with the sterring wheel controls? I have rear ent. it says a addition cable is needed, did you have to buy 1? What exta kit did you buy? Sorry for all the questions, but it looks like this thing is awesome and a good price!

Last edited by DiabloX22; 12-31-16 at 02:04 PM. Reason: add more
Old 01-05-17, 09:19 AM
andyaspen
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, just wanted to get back regarding the replacing of cracked wood trim garnish pieces on the doors. My Lexus dealer got back to me yesterday after talking with corporate. For the GX they will not replace any wood trim pieces unless they are damaged during the installation of a cracked dashboard. So I am back to looking for these wood trim pieces. Will check with Discount Parts Monster and continue to look on Ebay... If anyone comes across these pieces please give a holler on the forum. Cheers.
Old 01-05-17, 10:43 AM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by levinsoy
https://www.amazon.com/USA-BT45-TOY-Bluetooth-Select-1998-2014/dp/B0178G5RRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483219390&sr=8-1&keywords=usa+spec+bt-45

It works great in both my 2004 GX470 and 2006 GS300. Both of my vehicles have NAV and ML. With this kit you need to use their mic so I ran it up to the far right pillar on the front windshield and attached with double sided tape and took off the cover to the mic and you barely notice it. Everything sounds and works well. Also, remember unlike the new cars where everything is integrated into the factory system so you can go from media to satellite to a phone call and the volume stays the same throughout, here the volume is a bit higher when using bluetooth audio or on a phone call and then switching back to say Satelite or FM. That would be the only drawback but still very much worth it for me.

On the GS, I also bought an USB flush mount connector and ran it to my center console so I can charge straight from the USB using the USASPEC kit. It came out looking very stock and cool.
Does your GX have the rear seat entertainment? If so, did you have to buy another cable for it?
Old 01-18-17, 09:18 AM
gsp480
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-18-17, 11:30 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Listers I think his does, as do I. I looked and am going to buy 1 soon. On their website, if I recall, yes we do need a 20 dollar cable.
Old 01-25-17, 08:01 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@levinsoy - Enjoy