GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Forgive my ignorance, can someone please point me to a write up on lube points?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 12:37 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Minimum 87, 91 for improved performance, what improved performance is? MPG, HP and powerful? Toyota makes the same recommendations. For the 4 Runner, both V-6 and V-8...powerful? Lots of torque HP? 270? My Ford Escape has a 4 cylinder engine and it puts out 245 HP? Mazda is pretty clear when they state in their manual that by increasing octane in he CX-9 you can boost your HP by 4, but 87 works...those engine computers...modern technology....

Detonation (also called "spark knock") is an erratic form of combustion that can causehead gasket failure as well as other engine damage. Detonation occurs when excessive heat and pressure in the combustion chamber cause the air/fuel mixture to autoignite.

if you don't here it pinging...87 works
Old 12-29-16, 02:01 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

For the years our trucks were built, yes that was considered powerful. Todays technology is further advanced than yesterdays. Just like 10 years from now, things will be further advanced. These are SUV's not sportscars. Knock sensors send signals to the computers and the "modern technology" to advance or retard the ignition to prevent just that engine knock. THATS where the extra HP comes from.

I can google things too!!!!!

Premium fuel is good for a catalytic converter. In allowing advanced timing of ignition, the fuel has a longer burn duration. This in turn gives more time for heat transfer within the combustion chamber—which results in reduced temperature of exhaust gases. This cooler "engine-out" condition makes for an easier thermal life of downstream catalysts. (It's a carefully engineered balance—quick warmup to cut cold-start emissions, hot enough to promote catalyst efficiency, but not to the detriment of durability.)

Im sorry what did you say about heat?????

You can add all the detergents and additives in the world, Premium fuel is just that, PREMIUM! Less carbon build up on O2 sensors, spark plugs, heads, valves, knock senors, cat. converters, piston heads, because it burns more efficiently. You already stated that premium lasts a bit longer and the engine can knock under load. Your Mazda can gain 4h.p. using Premium, there is a reason for that. The computers and modern technology adjust the engines timing but cant clean or clear up what is left behind from the combustion. Its the cat converters job to burn unused fuel, thats why they get clogged up from low octane fuel usage.

You use what you want, I will use the fuel I want. Bottom line, these vehicles are fantastic!
Old 12-29-16, 07:05 PM
ALAN553
Racer

This is fun right? Your trying to convince me of how great the truck is, lol, this is my second one, an 04 that I traded last year with 200,000 miles on it...regular gas for 12 year, yearly amsoil oil changes, never had to add oil between changes...ran like the day I got it, no pinging, knocking or a miss under full throttle....found a used 09 with 30,000 miles on it....have visited this board for years. I have a Miata too, which according to the manual, "requires" not recommends minimum 91 octane, ride a Honda VFR Interceptor, runs on regular, my road bicycle runs on real premium, my legs, which has a plate and six screws....You don't have to convince me about the value of this vehicle or how to make them all work...I'm all in. I drink the kool aid! I'm with you, it's FANTASTIC!
Old 12-29-16, 07:25 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I think your truck may have a leak somewhere.......................................I think you huff the gas fumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-16, 02:48 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Ya think? Excellent, lets go, I'll take you for a ride
Old 12-30-16, 07:30 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine Oil and Gas grade creates a lengthy argument.

I know the argument about high octane. I dont work for costco, all I said was their low octane gas in my opinion is good. I would not put gas from unknown place even it cost half or free. I try to use Chevron, Shell and Costco. ALL 3 places lowest octane, mostly stick to Costco.

My lexus sedan has over 300K miles, and I am sick of seeing that car keep on running, I gave it to a family member to beat on it and try to kill it, it wont die.
GX is running strong beside usual maintainence.
Old 12-30-16, 08:54 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by gxman1
Engine Oil and Gas grade creates a lengthy argument.

I know the argument about high octane. I dont work for costco, all I said was their low octane gas in my opinion is good. I would not put gas from unknown place even it cost half or free. I try to use Chevron, Shell and Costco. ALL 3 places lowest octane, mostly stick to Costco.

My lexus sedan has over 300K miles, and I am sick of seeing that car keep on running, I gave it to a family member to beat on it and try to kill it, it wont die.
GX is running strong beside usual maintainence.
i agree...but the banter makes for internet entertainment....TOP TIER gas of any manufacturer helps keep the carbon deposits down...either grade...the computer will adjust timing accordingly.
Old 12-30-16, 10:51 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
i agree...but the banter makes for internet entertainment....TOP TIER gas of any manufacturer helps keep the carbon deposits down...either grade...the computer will adjust timing accordingly.
Alan,

Congrats on your 09 lexus, I was thinking about changing my 04, I should of done it, I just changed front and rear shocks, airbags last year, front lower control arms, fixed the leak on actuator near transfer case, did all the brakes, 1 side hub assembly, 1 ball joint, 1 axle last year, tires 4 michellin last year, wheel alignment I spent most on the parts, but it ran close to $1k just last week and most of the labor I did myself , around $400 to shop for othe labor. The lexus indy shop wanted close to $4-5k. I admit the truck runs like new, inside and outside is an excellent condition, but still its 04. I have to drive it at least 2 years to make it worthwhile.
Old 12-30-16, 12:49 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by gxman1
Alan,

Congrats on your 09 lexus, I was thinking about changing my 04, I should of done it, I just changed front and rear shocks, airbags last year, front lower control arms, fixed the leak on actuator near transfer case, did all the brakes, 1 side hub assembly, 1 ball joint, 1 axle last year, tires 4 michellin last year, wheel alignment I spent most on the parts, but it ran close to $1k just last week and most of the labor I did myself , around $400 to shop for othe labor. The lexus indy shop wanted close to $4-5k. I admit the truck runs like new, inside and outside is an excellent condition, but still its 04. I have to drive it at least 2 years to make it worthwhile.
i here you, I did a lot of that stuff too, but I happened upon this truck just last year, white, 6 years old with 30,000 miles. Saw all,the Lexus work orders, this women got sucked into every service...even stuff like fuel injection cleaning, power steering and brake flush. New battery and brakes. She had the truck in every three months for oil changes. She even paid for a full detail each time...there wasn't even a scratch on the windshield. Under carriage looked like new...so for a trade on my truck I got a new one for $ 23,000.....it was a deal I could not pass up.
Old 12-30-16, 04:28 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

mouth watering!

I woudnt pass that up also.
Old 12-31-16, 09:31 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

I got lucky also, mine was serviced like alan's, every service including details, I couldnt pass mine up. its in amazing condition. Im not crazy about the color, but I got a hell of a deal.

Back to my original question, as I am getting ready to go buy a grease gun and grease. What kind of grease are you guys using? I dont care about price, just the correct and quality stuff. Do I need 2 different kinds? If so what? Thanks guys!

Last edited by DiabloX22; 12-31-16 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-16, 09:48 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Alan, I see you have responded to a couple posts, you use royal purple for both?
Old 12-31-16, 10:53 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Alan, I see you have responded to a couple posts, you use royal purple for both?
i use royal purple in all 6 fittings, do the shaft and joints every 10,000 on the 09. , on my 04 I did the 2 shaft zerks every 5000 and the joint 10,000, never had the clunk once I started doing it on the 5 K interval.
Old 12-31-16, 11:10 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thanks Alan553! I will have to find some royal purple. I heard they make quality stuff, I dont know much about that brand. When I moved my grease gun disappeared, so I need to get a new one as well. Have a safe and happy New year!
Old 12-31-16, 12:04 PM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the two different, specific types of grease last time. Next time I'm just going to use Mobil 1 on all the fittings.

Quick Reply: Forgive my ignorance, can someone please point me to a write up on lube points?