GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air bag light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 04:21 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Air bag light on

I did a search and only found check under seat for loose connector .I have a 2004 gx470 warning light just came on dash airbag light. I am not sure If I have any options. Truck has 108,000 miles well cared for. I would like to know what kind of money could it cost me worst case. And ideas where to start ?
Old 12-15-16, 04:56 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure the all if not most GX470's just got recalled due to faulty airbag ecu's. Bring it to your local Lexus dealer, and they could tell you if it's related or not.

go to this website and check your VIN to see if your are affected. http://www.toyota.com/recall
Old 12-16-16, 06:52 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotADood
I'm pretty sure the all if not most GX470's just got recalled due to faulty airbag ecu's. Bring it to your local Lexus dealer, and they could tell you if it's related or not.

go to this website and check your VIN to see if your are affected. http://www.toyota.com/recall
Yes I saw that but it effects the pretensioners and could deploy the side curtain air bags. They have no parts for this yet and my air bag light is on and off erratically.
Old 12-16-16, 12:02 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Common things (in general, not specific to the GX) are:
  • Underseat wiring harness
  • Seat belt buckle
  • Child detection sensor in passenger seat
  • Clock spring in steering column
Chip H.
Old 01-02-17, 01:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
Common things (in general, not specific to the GX) are:
  • Underseat wiring harness
  • Seat belt buckle
  • Child detection sensor in passenger seat
  • Clock spring in steering column
Chip H.
Took gx470 in for air curtain recall. They reported to me that my air bag light is on because of drivers side seat belt switch They want 175.00 for the part. I looked on line and cant find a replacement part . I don't know the part number for the switch . Anyone know it or can point me in the right direction
Old 01-03-17, 06:15 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Pay the money. You'll get a warranty on the part, you'll be assured it's a new part (not used or previously involved in an accident) and also they will assume liability for the repair.

Chip H.
Old 01-09-17, 09:05 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed my airbag light in the dash comes on now and then. Coincides with the weather being really cold....anyone else notice this correlation?
Old 01-10-17, 08:41 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chiph9
Pay the money. You'll get a warranty on the part, you'll be assured it's a new part (not used or previously involved in an accident) and also they will assume liability for the repair.

Chip H.
I had the seat belt switch replaced one hour 130.00 + 45.00 for the part Problem solved
Old 01-10-17, 02:12 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had mine replaced, driver side seat belt switch. You should be able to get a code and it will tell you where the problem is. If you go messing around with the seats and switches, make sure you disconnect the battery! Moving the seats back and forth, up and down, usually causes the wires to wear over time. Thats all I heard from the GF, When are you going to get that fixed or fix it??? She was a worrier! LOL! For the $ I just let my dealer do it. I scanned the code, and they call it a squib and which 1 is the problem
Old 01-10-17, 04:49 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't the seat belt switch have a lifetime warranty since it's a safety issue? I have an '04 Accord where the seat belt switch was warrantied even though it was around 10 years old and had around 100K miles. Haven't had any issues with my GX, but would press the dealership on it if I did.
Old 01-11-17, 06:48 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EddieK05
Doesn't the seat belt switch have a lifetime warranty since it's a safety issue? I have an '04 Accord where the seat belt switch was warrantied even though it was around 10 years old and had around 100K miles. Haven't had any issues with my GX, but would press the dealership on it if I did.
My dealer did not advise that this switch was a warranty item. Its just a switch not a sensor, It would not effect the air bag working or not. Not sure what that means since if its no effect then why trip the air bag light ??
Old 01-11-17, 07:32 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

AFAIK only Honda has a lifetime warranty on seatbelts.

Chip H.
Old 04-12-18, 07:12 AM
cltide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light went off but have other issues now

I had my airbag light on and was told I needed to replace my driver side seat belt buckle assembly. Once I did that the light went off but I had 2 other issues pop up.

1. My rear windows do not function from the switch on the driver door. the switch on the actual door still works but not the one from the front. Is there some sort of reset I need to do to re-sync?
2. The passenger airbag light is never illuminated. I can't remember (and I can't find via search) when this is suppose to illuminate but I thought it displayed a "passenger airbag off" light when there wasn't anyone in the seat. Can someone confirm this please?
Old 04-12-18, 08:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cltide
I had my airbag light on and was told I needed to replace my driver side seat belt buckle assembly. Once I did that the light went off but I had 2 other issues pop up.

1. My rear windows do not function from the switch on the driver door. the switch on the actual door still works but not the one from the front. Is there some sort of reset I need to do to re-sync?
2. The passenger airbag light is never illuminated. I can't remember (and I can't find via search) when this is suppose to illuminate but I thought it displayed a "passenger airbag off" light when there wasn't anyone in the seat. Can someone confirm this please?
The passengers air bag will illuminate when a passenger is sitting in the seat
There is a reset to initialize your front and rear windows after a battery disconnect . Its in the owners manual
Old 04-12-18, 01:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

We have a sticky on how to reset the windows after the battery has been disconnected:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-or-reset.html

You'll also have to reenter your radio presets, set the sunroof auto open/close limits (similar process to the windows - hold the switch for a few seconds after it reaches the travel limits), and re-store your memory seat settings.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: Air bag light on