GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What Phone Cradle Are You Using In Your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 02:41 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What Phone Cradle Are You Using In Your GX?

Since I recently got my GX, my last in-car smart phone solution won't be working.

I had a goose neck with a cup holder base that did a decent job of holding the phone securely.

What do you have and what do you like about it?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-16, 05:49 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently installed a USA Spec BT45 Bluetooth device to the GX and also picked up one of these cheap solutions to hold the phone. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-13-16, 06:01 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I have an RCF not a GX.. but on all my cars for the past 10 years I have used www.proclipusa.com

It is a two part system, a mount specific to your model vehicle and to your model phone, they are a bit pricey (about $75 for both pieces) but I have had them on my and my wife and nieces cars since 2004 and they are very solid holders that look good and they last.

the GX one looks like this (vehicle mount only) lower right in front of glove box. (no it doesn't block the glove box) This is the vehicle mount, and then you can choose a phone specific mount or a general mount with tilt/swivel/power etc as options. They even have a basic magnet mount that bolts to the vehicle mount and then your phone attaches via a magnet.

Sure there are cheap options, but I prefer to have my cradle look more "built in" than stick on.

there is also a German vehicle specific mount called KUDA, which is a leather wrapped console mount that matches the interior, you would still need to get a phone specific mount to attach to the Kuda:

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda-custom-l...3-09-k325.html

Last edited by mjeds; 12-13-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-13-16, 08:51 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends of the phone you have, I always like quick grab and go. I have Samsung S7 edge. It has a glass back, but underneath the glass apparently there is some metal. I use the low profile similar to what 01snake posted link. I dont have any case and I didnt attach any metal to the phone. It's awesome small and easy grab and go. I will take a picture.
Old 12-14-16, 05:09 AM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got this for the GX and it works great:

I don't mind having something suctioned to the windshield and we can move it around if we really wanted.

We mount it just to the right of the steering wheel so using it to mange music via bluetooth or traffic via Waze etc. allows us to keep our eyes on the road.
Old 12-14-16, 06:22 AM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Snake
I recently installed a USA Spec BT45 Bluetooth device to the GX and also picked up one of these cheap solutions to hold the phone. Works great!

I have the same one, mounted to the right hand drivers vent. Very visible while driving and close to the position of my right hand.
Old 12-14-16, 06:34 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Has anyone used those magnetic mounts with an iphone 6S? How about with a case on it?
Old 12-14-16, 09:19 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

See if magnet sticks to the back of i phonne without the case, usually they have metal below plastic. If it stick than low profile round should work. I have s7 edge and prior phone note 7 both back was glass and it held good without any case or metal piece attaching.

Originally Posted by IanB2
Has anyone used those magnetic mounts with an iphone 6S? How about with a case on it?
Old 01-09-17, 11:01 AM
sadkomodo
Driver School Candidate

When I first got my GX, I got the Proclip, however the double sided tape would not stay attached to the dash pad. Short after that I went with the Ram Mount(suction mount to the windshield) with a Lobster mount phone holder. Worked very well until the temps got hot. The suction cup got flimsy and the phone moved around too much. I then got the Ram Mount Tough-Wedge and it works great. I use a long and short arm(double ball mount in between) which puts my phone at radio height. The Tough-Wedge is sandwiched between the passenger seat and console. It stays put very well and when I need to move/remove it, I just pull it out. The best thing is that I don't have to mount anything permanently to my GX. I have a mount for my phone but if I want to change things up and use my ipad, I just switch it out just the mounts. I still have the suction mount(a new Ram suction mount) which I can use for my phone. I personally would not use anything else.

Her is the link for the Tough-Wedge:
http://www.rammount.com/products/tough-wedge
Old 01-09-17, 04:34 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So a new California law went into effect a couple days ago that requires the phone to be mounted either on top of the dash, or from the windshield.

I got this from Amazon and it's been great so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNSIHCO?psc=1

We'll see how it holds up in the heat later this summer.

Thanks for the input, but for now I'm stuck with suction cup mounts only it seems.
Attached Thumbnails What Phone Cradle Are You Using In Your GX?-41-qgt8tfhl.jpeg  
Old 01-09-17, 06:39 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Iphone 6/7 plus fit well in the ash tray, plus the close proximity to the power source makes it a no brainer. Even still have room for loose change. Win Win
Old 02-20-20, 07:49 PM
Brussolino
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decided on the pro clip vent base with the ram mounts x-grip with bolts. Figured that might be the beat of both worlds and solve your adhesive issue with the pro clip...we shall see. I’m excited to have a mount.

Originally Posted by sadkomodo
When I first got my GX, I got the Proclip, however the double sided tape would not stay attached to the dash pad. Short after that I went with the Ram Mount(suction mount to the windshield) with a Lobster mount phone holder. Worked very well until the temps got hot. The suction cup got flimsy and the phone moved around too much. I then got the Ram Mount Tough-Wedge and it works great. I use a long and short arm(double ball mount in between) which puts my phone at radio height. The Tough-Wedge is sandwiched between the passenger seat and console. It stays put very well and when I need to move/remove it, I just pull it out. The best thing is that I don't have to mount anything permanently to my GX. I have a mount for my phone but if I want to change things up and use my ipad, I just switch it out just the mounts. I still have the suction mount(a new Ram suction mount) which I can use for my phone. I personally would not use anything else.

Her is the link for the Tough-Wedge:
http://www.rammount.com/products/tough-wedge
Old 02-21-20, 06:28 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Old 02-22-20, 07:02 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I use the magnet, Steelie I think it's called..had it for years now clips right to any vent, all good. iPhone 6s without case although I've had cases and attached the magnet no issues just don't like cases anymore.

Last edited by dblshock; 02-23-20 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-24-20, 09:08 PM
BRP650
Driver School Candidate

Default Suction or Cassette holder

I used a Scosche suction holder and attached it to ash tray. Not as high as i like but is the best I've found so far. I found a cassette deck holder on ebay I may try. Put that thing to use.

Quick Reply: What Phone Cradle Are You Using In Your GX?