GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear bumper change for clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 07:55 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear bumper change for clearance

How much money will it cost me the change out rear bumper area for a better off road experience , so I do not hit rocks on the bumper ???????
I am not into extreme off road driving , so , I just need , I guess , 2-3 inches more clearance . I have seen a few photos of some mounted on Gx470s here , looks like a lot of weight added

Thanks
Luap aka Paul

Last edited by Luap; 12-12-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-13-16, 06:55 AM
Luap
Pit Crew

Maybe just lifting the vehicle a couple of inches may do the trick

I am afraid of doing damage to the rear while off road because she sits so low
Old 12-13-16, 03:39 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any aftermarket bumper is going to be expensive, and heavy. They seem to be the province of enthusiast off-roaders, not those who go on the occasional bumpy road. In Sedona you've got some chunky trails, but a rear bumper at this point is kind of putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

I think most would say start with a lift and then depending on how serious you get about going off-road, modify further from there. i.e., armor, rock sliders, tires, front bumper, THEN rear bumper. At least that seems to me how most progress.
Old 12-13-16, 06:06 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

thanks , mstrsltr , quality response
I did read , I believe on this site , someone ran the trails in Sedona in their stock Gx and wish they had not , banged the bumpers and running boards a little .
I will look into a 2" lift as long as it won't effect the operation of anything else .
Found a price for rear bumper , $2K
Probably should of bought a 4Runner , buy I fell in love with the GX and my main purpose was off road driving , but , not extreme rock crawling

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
Any aftermarket bumper is going to be expensive, and heavy. They seem to be the province of enthusiast off-roaders, not those who go on the occasional bumpy road. In Sedona you've got some chunky trails, but a rear bumper at this point is kind of putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

I think most would say start with a lift and then depending on how serious you get about going off-road, modify further from there. i.e., armor, rock sliders, tires, front bumper, THEN rear bumper. At least that seems to me how most progress.
Old 12-13-16, 06:52 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Luap
thanks , mstrsltr , quality response
I did read , I believe on this site , someone ran the trails in Sedona in their stock Gx and wish they had not , banged the bumpers and running boards a little .
I will look into a 2" lift as long as it won't effect the operation of anything else .
Found a price for rear bumper , $2K
Probably should of bought a 4Runner , buy I fell in love with the GX and my main purpose was off road driving , but , not extreme rock crawling
You can do a quality lift that won't too severely affect your GX's on-road handling AND put sliders on for under $2k.

Why would you ever want a 4Runner when you've got a Lexus?!?!

Once you've got it properly equipped, it'll do anything a 4Runner can.
The following users liked this post:
Luap (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 08:06 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
You can do a quality lift that won't too severely affect your GX's on-road handling AND put sliders on for under $2k.

Why would you ever want a 4Runner when you've got a Lexus?!?!

Once you've got it properly equipped, it'll do anything a 4Runner can.
Originally , I wanted a Xterra , after a year of Craig List watching , I included 4Runners , nothing I wanted appeared , so , I included Gx and one was listed .
But , I want something to do off road and the GX comes up way short because of the body , the body limits off road action , I am not wanting extreme off roading as stated before, plus , the body is in really good condition and I would hate to scratch it up . I was really hoping for something all ready scratched up , so , I over bought .
Somehow , I will have to find a way to live with it . In a few months we may sell it and buy something more off road ready

Luap aka Paul