GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Questions re: my just acquired GX470

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 11:18 AM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Questions re: my just acquired GX470

I promise I did several searched to try to answer this on my own, but the Memory Seat buttons in my just acquired 2008 GX470 are not working.

The dealer put a new battery in it, so I'm hoping it's simply a matter of resetting and reprogramming them. I've owned several Lexus so I know how they are supposed to work, and these do nothing currently, no matter the combination and duration of button presses.

Any wisdom regarding this?

Also, I find this one a little strange, but the vehicle has what appears to be a factory DVD/CD changer, but no roof mounted screen. I wasn't aware that GX470s ever came with DVD players that don't also have the roof screen. I did put a DVD into it and switched modes on the headunit to "DVD", and it registered the DVD being present, but provided no on-screen controls with which to play it.

(Sorry the pics are upside down, but it's 2016 for god's sake, shouldn't this site be smart enough to handle pics taken on a phone? )
Attached Thumbnails Questions re: my just acquired GX470-img_2144.jpg   Questions re: my just acquired GX470-img_2145.jpg  
Old 12-12-16, 12:39 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the DVD Player you see is linked with your ML system. Roof Mounted is an additional option and is referred as RSES which you don't have.

I have never to tried to play a DVD in that so can't say anything..

Here is how you set you seat..

1.) Get everything in the position e.g. steering wheel, Seat Adjustment. Side Mirrors.
2.) Put Vehicle in P.. PARK.
3.) With 2 finger Press 1 and SET together and it will Beep. Beep confirms it has saved your setting.
Old 12-12-16, 12:49 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Well the DVD Player you see is linked with your ML system. Roof Mounted is an additional option and is referred as RSES which you don't have.

I have never to tried to play a DVD in that so can't say anything..

Here is how you set you seat..

1.) Get everything in the position e.g. steering wheel, Seat Adjustment. Side Mirrors.
2.) Put Vehicle in P.. PARK.
3.) With 2 finger Press 1 and SET together and it will Beep. Beep confirms it has saved your setting.
It's not about saving into memory at this point (which is why I mentioned that I already know how they're supposed to work), it's getting the buttons to even register input. After additional searching, I think it has to be "initialized" first , which involves putting the seat into a particular position and sliding it all the way forward and backwards in a specific pattern. This supposedly then allows the buttons to receive input and record to memory. I will update after I've had a chance to try it.
Old 12-12-16, 07:21 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Seats don't get "initialized ". It should work as described above after battery change. I have changed or disconnected the battery many times and just reset seat memory. Auto open/close of windows and sunroof get initialize after battery disconnect.
Old 12-13-16, 06:20 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I've never heard of the seats needing to identify their travel limits ... but go ahead and try it. Can't hurt.

Chip H.
Old 12-13-16, 10:48 AM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Seats don't get "initialized ". It should work as described above after battery change. I have changed or disconnected the battery many times and just reset seat memory. Auto open/close of windows and sunroof get initialize after battery disconnect.
I'm only repeating what I've read on other forums. Apparently the "Seat Position Sensor" does indeed require "initialization" occasionally.

I've read several instances of GX owners having to move the seat in a particular pattern to get memory buttons to operate again.

Originally Posted by chiph9
I've never heard of the seats needing to identify their travel limits ... but go ahead and try it. Can't hurt.

Chip H.
Again, according to some other posts from people who have experienced the same issue, it seems the seat sensor sometimes needs the seat to travel to it's extreme positions before it allows memory buttons to work.

Haven't had the chance to try yet... but will keep posted.
Old 12-13-16, 11:17 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

i had an 04 for 12 years and then an 09....never needed to do it...the 04 went through 3 batteries, disconnects for service or body work many times over those years...only windows needed it, seat memory if lost just hold # button and set button together until it beeps..
Old 12-13-16, 01:09 PM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be resetting my windows this evening after a battery replacement last night.........seat memory is gone, will try resetting as well....
Old 12-13-16, 01:18 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Exclamation From the Good Old Brick

Here it is & Hope it Clarifies if there is any confusion:

Old 12-13-16, 02:38 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

I don't mean to be rude guys, I really do appreciate you trying to help. But when you don't read what people are actually saying, your responses don't contribute to the sharing of knowledge. They just become static that people have to wade through.

Read my original post.

I never asked how to program the seats... I said very clearly that the memory buttons weren't registering input at all.

Luckily I found this on ih8mud:

"Some Toyota models require the seat to be "initialized." I don't recall the 100 (Landcruiser Prado a.k.a. GX470) being one of them, but it's worth a shot. Slide the seat all the way forward , seat back all the way forward. Then go all the way back with the seat bottom (with one push). Then All the way back with the seat back. Then try setting seat memory."

I'm happy to report that this indeed did the trick, and upon completing this, I pressed the memory set buttons and it programmed it instantly.
Old 12-13-16, 05:01 PM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work.

My window resetting was as expected.........I can hold a button like no one's business...............
Old 12-13-16, 05:30 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Great
At least you got it to work & now we know how to initialize those in case we come across this issue.
Sorry since no one had this issue before so there wasn't enough info to go around.