GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to check to see if timing belt was changed?

Old 11-28-16, 05:04 PM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to check to see if timing belt was changed?

The Carfax says that the following service was done in May 2016 @91k miles, car is now at 100k miles:

Maintenance inspection completed
Air filter replaced
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Fuel injection system flushed/serviced
Oil and filter changed
Radiator replaced
Timing belt replaced
Two wheel alignment performed Water pump replaced

I just checked the bolts on the driver side timing belt cover to look for any wear and they look like they have never been removed or touched. I attached pictures of 2 of the bolts in question.

What is the least invasive way to check the belt itself? Is there any other way to check to see if the belt was changed? The previous owner had Lexus Extra Care, is a timing belt changed required to keep from voiding the Extra Care status?
Attached Thumbnails How to check to see if timing belt was changed?-img_20161128_183529667.jpg   How to check to see if timing belt was changed?-img_20161128_183538384.jpg  

Last edited by Listers; 11-28-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 05:45 AM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer placed a sticker on the underside of the hood giving date and mileage. It is preprinted with "Timing Belt Replaced". Looks like it came with the kit that was ordered with all the parts needed.
Old 11-29-16, 06:09 AM
Listers
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
My dealer placed a sticker on the underside of the hood giving date and mileage. It is preprinted with "Timing Belt Replaced". Looks like it came with the kit that was ordered with all the parts needed.
In the mean time, I will look for that. Thanks
Old 11-29-16, 06:19 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Those bolts sure look like they've never had a socket on them. Certainly not this year.

Take your GX to the closest dealer and give them the VIN and ask for a service history. If the work was done at a dealer, it'll be in there. If the work was done at an independent shop, then without a receipt, you have no proof.

Right now, I'm leaning towards "it hasn't been done"

Chip H.
Old 11-29-16, 08:09 AM
Listers
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
Those bolts sure look like they've never had a socket on them. Certainly not this year.

Take your GX to the closest dealer and give them the VIN and ask for a service history. If the work was done at a dealer, it'll be in there. If the work was done at an independent shop, then without a receipt, you have no proof.

Right now, I'm leaning towards "it hasn't been done"

Chip H.
The work was done at a dealer. Do dealers just give this information out?
Old 11-29-16, 08:51 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

any service done at the dealer will show up on the My Lexus website, put in the VIN and see the full service history of the vehicle.
Old 11-29-16, 12:37 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
any service done at the dealer will show up on the My Lexus website, put in the VIN and see the full service history of the vehicle.
Except that the site hasn't been allowing new accounts to be created for a couple weeks now...

I've tried many times, on a few different browsers on my phone and my desktop and every time I try to submit the second page of info I get "system temporarily unavailable".

I'm not sure they're even aware that it's not allowing new accounts to be created.
Old 11-29-16, 12:54 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Listers
The work was done at a dealer. Do dealers just give this information out?
You should be able to ask a service advisor to check the vehicle service history on the computer and confirm the work was done.

But given the condition of the cover bolts (seemingly undisturbed) I would ask them to have one of their mechanics look at it in person. At the very least, there should be tool marks on the crankshaft bolt.

Chip H.
Old 11-29-16, 01:17 PM
Listers
Rookie

You should be able to ask a service advisor to check the vehicle service history on the computer and confirm the work was done.

But given the condition of the cover bolts (seemingly undisturbed) I would ask them to have one of their mechanics look at it in person. At the very least, there should be tool marks on the crankshaft bolt.

Chip H.
I checked the crankshaft bolt and there was signs of work done to it. Any other work that requires the crank pulley to be removed?
Old 11-30-16, 05:57 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

If you have paperwork and tool marks, I think that's as far as you can go without paying to open it up and looking at the belt.

Chip H.
Old 11-30-16, 08:08 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

If you have paperwork and tool marks, I think that's as far as you can go without paying to open it up and looking at the belt.

Chip H.
X2, it wouldn't have gotten into the Lexus dealer database if the work wasn't carried out. I'd talk to a Lexus service adviser, have them run your VIN, and if it checks out, move forward with confidence that the 90K service has been completed.
Old 11-30-16, 05:25 PM
Listers
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanB2
X2, it wouldn't have gotten into the Lexus dealer database if the work wasn't carried out. I'd talk to a Lexus service adviser, have them run your VIN, and if it checks out, move forward with confidence that the 90K service has been completed.
MyLexus and Carfax both say the work was done. I'm going to "move forward with confidence" from this point since its not the easiest thing to look at the actual belt. Thanks
Old 12-01-16, 07:37 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Listers
MyLexus and Carfax both say the work was done. I'm going to "move forward with confidence" from this point since its not the easiest thing to look at the actual belt. Thanks
Even if you do tear it down and look at the belt, if it was done at the Lexus dealer they'll have used OEM parts, so good luck trying to confirm it's not original anyways.
Old 01-18-17, 09:44 AM
gsp480
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would have faith in the Lexus system if it says it's been done. Carfax, not so much.
Old 01-18-17, 09:49 AM
Listers
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsp480
I would have faith in the Lexus system if it says it's been done. Carfax, not so much.
I have come to the conclusion that when the dealer took this car in as a trade in, they spray or steam cleaned the engine bay which caused the timing cover hardware to be lightly corroded and look "untouched". The crack pulley has visible tampering evidence on the center bolt. There are few other reasons to take that off besides actually changing the timing belt. I consider the job done!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to check to see if timing belt was changed?