GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 04:37 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights

So I recently picked up a daily driver 08' GX and I've been making some minor updates to it since I got it. I was going to buff/polish the OEM lights that were very fogged but decided I didn't have much to lose by simply buying a new set of the Depo Sport Package headlights off eBay for a "whopping" $276 shipped.

Received the lights in 2 days which was pretty darn quick. They were packed well and had no damage to them. Inspection of the lights shows they are basically the same as the OEM units. Really couldn't tell any difference in quality.

Installing them was a little more difficult than I anticipated. What slowed me down was getting the damn headlights out once you took the 3 bolts off holding each one in. I had to maneuver/push/pull to finally get them out. I wrapped the new headlight faces with the saran wrap that came with them to prevent scratching them while cramming them back into place. Thankfully, I didn't damage them getting them back into place.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the way they look. These make the OEM lights look terrible and really improves the appearance of the GX.

I've attached some photos. The photos with the camera flash really do not do the new lights justice. To the naked eye, the difference between the Depo's and the OEM's are night and day.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll update this thread if I run into any issues with them.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-img_4009.jpg   Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-img_4011.jpg   Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-img_4017.jpg   Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-img_4018.jpg   Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-img_4021.jpg  

Old 11-23-16, 11:50 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice did u put any hid kit or using the factory halogens, I have put Philips HId kit lil expensive but gives a factory look. Looks gr8
Old 11-24-16, 05:33 AM
01Snake
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Nice did u put any hid kit or using the factory halogens, I have put Philips HId kit lil expensive but gives a factory look. Looks gr8
Thanks. I went with the Xenon Depot kit which was a welcome improvement over the factory halogens.
Old 11-24-16, 01:02 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've tried buying ebay headlights for other vehicles and the quality has been disastrous, like they shouldn't even be legal (and most likely aren't). Horrible optics with no thought put into the actual focusing of the beams, alignment systems that instantly break when you try to adjust them, etc... If these are truly OEM quality replacements, then that is a great deal, but having been burnt on ebay Chinese headlights in the past, I'm skeptical.
Old 11-24-16, 01:22 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that looks really good--I have a white 08 as well and know you have me thinking on getting a pair of those!!

Can you provide the Link to your purchase?
Old 11-24-16, 07:09 PM
cardboy008
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I'd be interested in the link as well. My ebay searching skills are subpar I guess since I can't find these. Also to clarify, you got the depo headlights and then hooked up the xenondepot H11 kit?
Old 11-25-16, 05:35 AM
River19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does look great, however for me in MA I have heard the state is cracking down on aftermarket headlight upgrades and failing people at inspection with non OEM lights. Cars spec'd with halogens converted to Xenons fail. However I wonder if whole headlight assembly swaps will be treated different. Of course it then is up to the inspection stations to interpret and I'm thinking Xenons on a Lexus wouldn't draw as much attention as Xenons on an old Accord or something.
Old 11-25-16, 06:43 AM
01Snake
Rookie

Originally Posted by cardboy008
Looks great. I'd be interested in the link as well. My ebay searching skills are subpar I guess since I can't find these. Also to clarify, you got the depo headlights and then hooked up the xenondepot H11 kit?
Correct. Using the XD H11 5000k kit which to me are almost too bright.

Here is where I got the Depo headlights. They sell them as a pair for $300 but if you buy them separately, they are $276. Not sure why they give you a better deal buying separately but $25 less is fine by me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-He...pW~zPU&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-He...9W~zPT&vxp=mtr
Old 11-25-16, 09:37 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Another update... (I've had the GX for a total of 2 weeks)

After installing the Xenon Depot 5000K kit on with the stock headlights last week, it really seemed like the lights were too bright. Coming up behind cars as traffic stopped, it appeared the lights were too high and bright. Felt as if I was lighting up the interior of the car in front of me. After swapping out the OEM headlights for the Depo units (and obviously still utilizing the Xenon Depot setup), I drove the car a bit last night and tonight to inspect the light pattern. I found a nice big wall and taped off 20ft back and moved the car back to the line. Like I had noticed after putting the HID lights into the OEM housings, the beam still seemed too high. The driver side Depo headlight was definitely aimed higher than the passenger one. I was easily able to adjust the driver side light downward to match the passenger side and then I dialed them both a tad further down. I still think they might need to be bumped up a tad more but I'd rather be a little low than possibly blind some oncoming drivers. I'll test it out for a week or so and see if any additional adjustments are needed.

With that said, I took some pictures for those interested and have also included a picture of the output pattern on our old 14' RX F-Sport for comparison. (The GX is obviously the first pic) As everyone stated, you're obviously not going to get the same results that a factory equipped HID vehicle.

Let me know what you think and if you recommend I aim the lights a tad bit higher.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-gx-view.jpg   Replaced OEM Headlights with Depo Sport Package Headlights-rx-view.jpg  
Old 11-26-16, 04:39 AM
DAKONA
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great!

DAKONA
Old 11-26-16, 05:43 AM
gevorg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
I've tried buying ebay headlights for other vehicles and the quality has been disastrous, like they shouldn't even be legal (and most likely aren't). Horrible optics with no thought put into the actual focusing of the beams, alignment systems that instantly break when you try to adjust them, etc... If these are truly OEM quality replacements, then that is a great deal, but having been burnt on ebay Chinese headlights in the past, I'm skeptical.
Once I had Mercedes w211 and bought for it Depo headlights, quality was such a worse that I didn't see anything at night. I also can't believe OEM quality from Depo
Old 11-26-16, 11:33 AM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a SLK230 and bought Depo's on eBay. I had to reseal them both from moisture but past that they worked OK. They were halogen & I kept them that way.

I've seen these sport headlights on eBay & thought about it but I want to match the fogs. They look good on your GX - how does it look in person w/ the non-sport fog lights?

Not that I have any money right now - I went just a tad overboard on Black Friday sales for my Focus ST...
Old 11-26-16, 01:21 PM
01Snake
Rookie

Originally Posted by dkpnkc

I've seen these sport headlights on eBay & thought about it but I want to match the fogs. They look good on your GX - how does it look in person w/ the non-sport fog lights?
The fogs look fine......

until you turn them on! haha Definitely need to ditch the halogen bulbs and find something that is a closer match to the 5000k lights. Don't really use the fogs to much so not too concerned about it at the moment.

Just finished installing a USA-Spec boothtooth deal and outside of finding a fog light solution, I am DONE doing stuff to this vehicle. This is really just a fourth vehicle that is, for lack of a better word, a beater I use to haul stuff around in and rack miles up on to avoid using my other rides.
Old 11-26-16, 06:26 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Snake
The fogs look fine......

until you turn them on! haha Definitely need to ditch the halogen bulbs and find something that is a closer match to the 5000k lights. Don't really use the fogs to much so not too concerned about it at the moment.

Just finished installing a USA-Spec boothtooth deal and outside of finding a fog light solution, I am DONE doing stuff to this vehicle. This is really just a fourth vehicle that is, for lack of a better word, a beater I use to haul stuff around in and rack miles up on to avoid using my other rides.
I use mine the same way - it's a spare for hauling stuff, so I'm really trying not to spend extra on it. I did put some BF Goodrich K02's on it a few months ago so I'm actually looking forward to a little snow this season & see how it handles now. I'm out of town quite a bit so gave keys to my daughter/son-in law along w/ my parents so others can use it whenever they need it.

Just that the headlights / fogs are really pretty bad, even after cleaning them up a lot. I guess I'll let it go another year...