GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear driver's side air bag leaking only on normal height

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 03:06 PM
ap11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear driver's side air bag leaking only on normal height

I noticed that the driver's side rear air bag is leaking only on normal height. If the suspension is put into high and then parked/turned off, the air bag does not leak. If the car is parked and turned off in normal, then the bag will hiss and deflate quickly. Does this mean that something besides the bag is leaking? I'm having a hard time understanding while it will hold air if it's on high, but not on normal.

Trying to decide if I should replace with springs, but I'll probably stick with the bags if I only need to do one of them.

The pump doesn't sound great when it's turned on and the car is idling--makes a loud rattling noise in the rear.
Old 11-19-16, 06:34 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Probably there's a crack in the rubber. And when it's on high, it's being squeezed closed. When on low, it might be trapped against the support and thus not leaking.
Either replace the airbags, or do the 4Runner spring swap.

If the pump is rattling, it's been leaking for a while and the pump has been running a lot. If you fix the leaking airbag it won't run as much, but you should start looking for a replacement. If you put the 4Runner springs on the pump isn't needed.

Chip H.
Old 11-21-16, 04:55 PM
ap11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Lexus said to replace both bags in the rear would cost $1078 including tax. Seems a little high, so I'm going to check around before deciding on springs or bags.
Old 11-23-16, 05:59 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pick up a set of Arnott A2466 bags for around $150 each if you decide to replace the bags. I got mine on Amazon, but it looks like they are currently sold out.

Good Luck!
Cole
Old 11-23-16, 05:23 PM
new2005GX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced both bags in my truck today in an effort to improve the ride quality. Both of mine appeared to be in good condition but original at 120K miles so I figured they needed replacing. Picked them up on EBAY from Chinese supplier for 160 shipped (came in 3 days from China!) Parts were OEM so that was a great price.

Job was not to bad but you need a lot of patience and small hands as you will be working in some tight spaces. Also be prepared for a lot of swearing as you try to separate the air tubes from the bags. Best way I found was to either remove the bag with the line still attached by disconnecting from the compressor end which come off easily or try to get enough slack so you can work on the conectors in front of your face instead of blind and on your back. Also, note that the bags should already some with "connector # 2 and the o rings/ plate that is referenced in the FSM. You will need the SST tool to remove the lines or cut off a caulk tune spoout and slice vertically as I found out after I purchases (and ruined the tool with my torch).

All in all, the ride is a bit smoother but still not where I want it to be. I just replaced the Arnott Bilsteins I previously installed on all four corners with OEM Toyota 4 runner shocks and that was a significant improvement. Now I need to do the same for the front as the Bilsteins are simply too harsh for this truck IMO ​​​.
Old 11-28-16, 09:21 AM
ap11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks @new2005GX and @yackowski, I bought these from Amazon for $250 for the pair, and going to go to a shop to have them put in. I don't have the time or patience to do the work myself this month. You changed out the shocks at the same time as the bags? I thought the bags were the shocks, but I've never dealt with air suspension before so I have no idea how it works. Anything else that should be changed at the same time and do I need an alignment after the work gets done? I just had one done a few weeks ago when new tires were put on.
Old 11-28-16, 09:41 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to have it aligned if you are only doing the rear air springs. The factory rear adjustable shocks are very spendy unless you swap them out for the non-adjustable 4runner style. Unless the factory shocks are leaking oil, or you're still unsatisfied with the ride after the springs are replaced, I would leave them alone.

Cole
Old 11-28-16, 11:51 AM
bbrowncods
Rookie

I know time is money but unless you have a trusted shop I would consider doing it yourself. You can get better access if you remove the rear tire on each side as you work. I did mine and you only need a jack, jack stand to hold the axle up, a lug wrench to remove the tires, and a screw driver to remove the clip holding the airbag. First time doing it on the drivers side took 30 minutes, most of which was figuring the fitment. Passenger side then took me 10 minutes, most of which was R&R the tire. Easy job, so don't let the shop tell you it is so hard that working on the Space Shuttle is easier!
The following users liked this post:
moakes (08-16-17)
Old 11-30-16, 10:26 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think mine have the same problem. I've noticed my rear look saggy after awhile and finally realized that something is leaking. I don't know if it's the airbag or the shock. I'll find out. As for replacing with 4Runner shocks, which model are you based on. I work at a Toyota dealership and my part guy look up and show there are like four different type based on Limited 4WD V8 model.
Old 08-07-17, 03:37 PM
zaccor
Driver

Originally Posted by ap11
Thanks @new2005GX and @yackowski, I bought these from Amazon for $250 for the pair, and going to go to a shop to have them put in. I don't have the time or patience to do the work myself this month. You changed out the shocks at the same time as the bags? I thought the bags were the shocks, but I've never dealt with air suspension before so I have no idea how it works. Anything else that should be changed at the same time and do I need an alignment after the work gets done? I just had one done a few weeks ago when new tires were put on.
How are yours working out? My suspension bags have been leaking and need new ones. Saw these on Amazon and seems like a good price if they are good quality.
Old 08-07-17, 07:28 PM
rlabair
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting ready to replace both of mine. I found the Arnott's for about $145 each on Rock Auto.
Old 08-07-17, 08:45 PM
zaccor
Driver

Originally Posted by rlabair
I'm getting ready to replace both of mine. I found the Arnott's for about $145 each on Rock Auto.
Did you look at buyautoparts.com?
Old 08-16-17, 11:36 AM
moakes
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrowncods
I know time is money but unless you have a trusted shop I would consider doing it yourself. You can get better access if you remove the rear tire on each side as you work. I did mine and you only need a jack, jack stand to hold the axle up, a lug wrench to remove the tires, and a screw driver to remove the clip holding the airbag. First time doing it on the drivers side took 30 minutes, most of which was figuring the fitment. Passenger side then took me 10 minutes, most of which was R&R the tire. Easy job, so don't let the shop tell you it is so hard that working on the Space Shuttle is easier!
Thanks for the detail. Is it really this simple! Comments from anyone else who has done this? My right one is confirmed leaking. I just called my guy who I do trust and has been doing my work for 15 years on 2 diff Lexi, and he said $800 for to replace both. Of course he is using genuine parts (I think that is how he keeps a good relationship with the local dealer). But if I can get the 2 bags for < $200 and do the job in < 2 hours, then I'm in. I'm pretty handy. Would very much appreciate comments on the process or how hard/easy it is. ALSO, when anyone did it, can it be done with just lifting ONE side at a time, or do you have to lift both sides and have the entire rear end in the air? Thanks!

Last edited by moakes; 08-16-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 11:20 AM
tonyka
Driver School Candidate

Any recommendations on which ones are best? I found a ton ebay. Rock auto has a few. Amazon also has some.

Do you guys have any updates on the previous ones you bought? How are they doing and when did you get them installed?
Old 11-11-17, 06:54 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by suprawhite
I think mine have the same problem. I've noticed my rear look saggy after awhile and finally realized that something is leaking. I don't know if it's the airbag or the shock. I'll find out. As for replacing with 4Runner shocks, which model are you based on. I work at a Toyota dealership and my part guy look up and show there are like four different type based on Limited 4WD V8 model.
A bad shock will not cause your vehicle to "sag". That is the air bag. Rear shocks do not dictate height, that is your air bag. You can tell if the shock is bad by the ride and if you inspect it, a bad one will usually look like it has a leak or has leaked fluid.

Quick Reply: Rear driver's side air bag leaking only on normal height