GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

KDSS Confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 04:05 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default KDSS Confusion!

I'm trying to track down the right GX470. Years and mileage are all kind of interchangeable to me as long as it's between '06-'09 and it has service records.

KDSS is a must have option for me on this vehicle. I've heard some people say they couldn't tell the difference, or that it doesn't do anything. But I've heard FAR more people talk about how great it is. So I'm sticking to my guns and waiting for one with KDSS.

I know that all Sport Package models came with KDSS, and ultimately that's what I'd like to get, but I've read on this forum that SOME non-Sport Package GX470's DID in fact come with KDSS as an option.

Can anyone out there verify this firsthand? Please only respond if YOU yourself actually own/owned a NON-Sport Package GX470 that DID have KDSS. Sorry for getting so ALL CAPSY up in here... it's just that there's a ton of confusion and misinformation out there on the second hand market. And a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about. Even some of the Lexus dealers I've dealt with don't really know much about this option on the 1st Gen GX. I just had one sales guy at Lexus tell me that KDSS only comes on the GX460... and never came on the GX470 at all.

So yeah, if KDSS did come on non-Sport Package GX's that will open up my search hopefully.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-16, 04:36 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 04 with KDSS and it is NOT a sport package model.
Old 10-26-16, 04:46 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Barnesie
I have an 04 with KDSS and it is NOT a sport package model.
YES! Thank you! Would you mind letting me know which color combo yours is? Any identifying characteristics that you know of aside from sway bars and dash light?

Thanks man!
Old 10-26-16, 05:14 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
YES! Thank you! Would you mind letting me know which color combo yours is? Any identifying characteristics that you know of aside from sway bars and dash light?

Thanks man!
No problem. It has the beige intereior / leather seats with the wood grain accents that are light colored. The outside is the champagne color....can't remember what it's technically called. If you look underneath the car on the driver side there will be two hydraulic lines that run from front to back. I will try to take some pics of the undercarriage for your reference. I
Old 10-26-16, 05:31 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Barnesie
No problem. It has the beige intereior / leather seats with the wood grain accents that are light colored. The outside is the champagne color....can't remember what it's technically called. If you look underneath the car on the driver side there will be two hydraulic lines that run from front to back. I will try to take some pics of the undercarriage for your reference. I
Thanks, but no need to go through the trouble! I don't want to waste your time.

When it comes to looking at the car in person, I know to look at the front sway bars, which are visibly larger and connect to a distinctive hydraulic component that is covered in a rubber boot. I was more curious what color exterior and interior were.

But it would be nice to hear how the KDSS system has held up for you. Any leaks? Repairs?

Thanks again!
Old 10-26-16, 06:56 PM
Barnesie
Driver

KDSS has been trouble free for me. I have 89k on the truck and its an 04. I do my own work on the truck and every oil change I check for any leaks in the system and so far none. I take the truck off road a good amount...probably every other weekend. I haven't driven another GX without KDSS, but I can tell my truck does ride nice and there is very little body roll when cornering.
Old 10-27-16, 09:21 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm pretty sure Sport models started in '05, and all had the dark interior. The '04 w/ KDSS example doesn't really tell you much about the '06-'09 models needing the Sport package to have KDSS if I'm right.
Old 10-27-16, 06:58 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
I'm pretty sure Sport models started in '05, and all had the dark interior. The '04 w/ KDSS example doesn't really tell you much about the '06-'09 models needing the Sport package to have KDSS if I'm right.
sport packages can have beige interior. ALL sports have KDSS, it was optional on non sports.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 10-27-16 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 05:04 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
sport packages can have beige interior. ALL sports have KDSS, it was optional on non sports.
Indeed my '05 Sport has beige interior with the black wood trim.
Old 10-28-16, 07:38 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mustangpro
Indeed my '05 Sport has beige interior with the black wood trim.
I'd love to see a pic of that!
Old 10-28-16, 10:46 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
I'd love to see a pic of that!
Here ya go.....
Attached Thumbnails KDSS Confusion!-00a0a_ee4jby4heh2_600x450.jpg  
Old 10-28-16, 12:44 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mustangpro
Here ya go.....
That's pretty neat! I like it better than straight tan for sure.
Old 11-09-16, 01:26 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Ok, I have a question that I'm sure has been covered, but after multiple searches haven't been able to dig anything up.

Up until having just read up more on KDSS and it's susceptibility to corrosion, I was limiting my search to KDSS only GX's.

But I'd like to get any feedback about NON-KDSS vehicles and what people have been able to do aftermarket in order to improve the on road handling on NON-KDSS GX's. I will take the GX offroad, but day to day driving performance is more important to me (hence why I'm trading in my FJ Cruiser for a GX)

So my question boils down to this, what can be done, at what minimal cost, to improve a GX's on-road handling the way KDSS does? (and yes, KDSS is indeed active on the road) I don't know a ton about suspension, etc., but I have read that there is no aftermarket sway bar option for the GX. So what are we talking here? Struts, shocks, springs?

Or is body roll only going to be controlled by bigger sway bars?

The way I see it is this: Sport Package GX's that are in good shape are rare and command a premium. But if I can get a GX in even nicer condition, and spend $2k dramatically improving it's on-road handling, rivaling the improvement provided by KDSS, then maybe I'm waiting for a clean Southwest Sport Package GX for no reason?
The following users liked this post:
arseum (02-17-18)