GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Water pump replacement after timing belt change a few years back

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 10:26 AM
macnjnc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water pump replacement after timing belt change a few years back

Here's the deal guys. On 6/23/2013 with 103K miles I replaced my timing belt, water pump, radiator, thermostat, tensioners, pulleys the whole nine.
Basically 3 years later (at 144,000 miles) my truck's temperature guage is moving up and down and running hot.
Last week I started by replacing the thermostat and flushed coolant.
It worked for a week and now it's doing the same thing and I noticed that coolant was leaking on the garage floor at night.
I get it diagnosed again and I'm told it's the water pump.

So since the last time I got the service done I've put a little over 40,000 miles on the truck.
Currently going thru purchasing a Water Pump from Rock Auto but they recommend doing a Timing Belt Component Kit again.
Being that I just did this 3 years and 40K miles ago....should I go ahead and replace all the other stuff (timing belt tensioners) since the engine will be torn down again 40K miles later?
The timing belt service is normally in intervals of 90K miles. Don't want to be wasting money. I also see a recommendation to change the Fan Clutch (which I didn't change the 1st time) might make sense to look at that too.

Since I have already did the Timing belt, Radiator at 103K and also did the Air Suspension replacement not long ago I plan to keep the truck because I've invested in it and have it paid off.
My mechanic is willing to charge me $300 bucks (great deal) labor to tear the engine down and put the water pump in.....not sure if I should spend the money to replace everything again halfway thru the normal 90K mile interval.

What should I do or what do you guys recommend?

Last edited by macnjnc; 10-04-16 at 10:30 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-04-16, 12:24 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would just do the entire timing belt kit with water pump if you plan to keep the car as it's very little additional labor and the remaining components like the belt and tensioners are relatively inexpensive. About what a fill up of gas costs. It would just mean you "should" be able to not worry about going back in there for another 100k miles instead of again in 50k miles. The real labor is tearing everything down to get there. I would do the Aisin kit that includes everything should be around $150.

Also, something went wrong with the pump leaking at 40k miles. Not sure I would trust the rest of the previous installation.

You also might as well throw on there a new serpentine belt as well if it's original and has a lot of miles. No additional labor for that.

How much coolant is leaking? Are you sure it's not the radiator or a hose(s) that's leaking? A few dribbles of coolant from the water pump should not make the vehicle overheat while driving.

Regarding the fan clutch, it's not like you have to tear it apart like you do for the water pump to replace. But if it's giving any sort of symptoms and just want to cross it off the list, than you might as well. My car has 130k miles and is still on the original clutch, it's not really a common problem with these cars even at high mileage. If you do replace the fan clutch, I would get the OEM.

If you did everything on your list though, it comes out to about what many people spend on a month or two for a car payment. So it's still pretty inexpensive when looking at the big picture.
Old 10-04-16, 01:34 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Make sure it's not one of the O'rings or the RTV seal; at the water inlet jacket that is leaking.
Very easy to misdiagnose.

If water pump is bad, I would just do the belt and start a 90k mile clock...

Good luck.