GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Gx470. 2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 01:35 PM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gx470. 2005

I need help. I have four lights that are coming on my dashboard when I start my car. SRS warning light , VSC. TRAC , VSC OFF, slip indicator light. I usually take my car to ToyoTechs to be serviced, but after Googling things I thought I might could run to a place called America's Service Station and have them run a Diagnostics Test. After almost having a heart attack I called my guys at ToyoTech and they feel that what I was told is incorrect. I'm praying really hard. They are saying to fix my car will cost $5730.00. Well I doubt my car that has 140,000 miles is worth putting that kind of money into it. The technician stated that there are 6 codes in system for steering and antilock brake fault, vehicle needs electronic brake control unit, steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, bleed system and retest. ToyoTech said he had never heard all of those things going out at the same time. I'm going in tomorrow and praying these guys don't know much. If anyone has had these issues can you please post and let me know what you had to do and how much did it cost you. Thank you so much for your time.
Old 09-26-16, 05:54 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

First to make sure you get a good battery. If you are not sure, replace the battery if you haven't done so for years. A near death battery may get you many error codes when starting the car.
Reset the codes and wait for them coming back. Have Autozone to read the code for you free. Then you can post the code here and ask for opinion. Good luck.
Old 09-26-16, 06:00 PM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

My battery is not that old. WE unconnected the negative for 30 minutes, but all the lights were still on.
Old 09-26-16, 06:03 PM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

Also I went to AutoZone today and they said they couldn't check. That's when they sent me to this other place America Service Station. Which told me it would cost way over $5000.
Old 09-27-16, 06:03 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

How old is "not too old"? If you're in Texas/Arizona or other hot climate, you should think about replacing the battery every 3 years.

Did they give you the exact error codes? Get them read again, write them down, and post them here.

Chip H.
Old 09-27-16, 02:13 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with small things. Go to a different AutoZone and have them check the codes and get the print out.
Take a Deep Breath and then research those codes.

It can be something simple as a Gas Cap.
Old 09-27-16, 06:17 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go to a diff lexus dealer and get another opinion--they are smoking crack. We need to see what the codes are?
Could be just a wheel speed sensor--that will throw all those codes, with this vehicle when one thing goes bad it all tied into these different systems, so when one thing goes bad it will flag them all......

Last edited by Booyah; 09-27-16 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 06:50 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not all those things. The code is likely epa related and it triggers all the lights.
Old 10-04-16, 05:53 AM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

Default SRS warning light, VSC, VSC off

ended up taking my car in to ToyoTechs
turned out to be malfunction in steering angle sensor

cost me $800

but happy to say my 2005 GX 470 is back up and running without all these crazy lights shinning on my dashboard.
Old 10-04-16, 09:18 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkmrvmr
ended up taking my car in to ToyoTechs
turned out to be malfunction in steering angle sensor

cost me $800

but happy to say my 2005 GX 470 is back up and running without all these crazy lights shinning on my dashboard.

The "steering angle sensor" warning light is just a default warning code that comes up whenever the check engine light comes on.

Obviously, all of these systems didn't go out at once.

Honestly, the entire things sounds fishy to me. I would bet money the shop just reset the ECU with a scanner and didn't need to replace anything.

I would love to know what they did that cost $800.
Old 10-04-16, 01:08 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
The "steering angle sensor" warning light is just a default warning code that comes up whenever the check engine light comes on.

Obviously, all of these systems didn't go out at once.

Honestly, the entire things sounds fishy to me. I would bet money the shop just reset the ECU with a scanner and didn't need to replace anything.

I would love to know what they did that cost $800.

Sounds like you got an up the wazoo .
Old 10-04-16, 01:19 PM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

The part was $468. Then there was labor
Old 10-04-16, 01:21 PM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

And yes all those lights came on at the same time. Plus my door locks did not work either.
With them replacing that one part everything is whole again.
Old 10-04-16, 01:39 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkmrvmr
And yes all those lights came on at the same time. Plus my door locks did not work either.
With them replacing that one part everything is whole again.
See, that's just it.

Obviously this one part being replaced did not "fix" all of those warning lights coming on, so something else was the actual repair that turned them off.

Look through this forum at how many people had to replace a "steering sensor".

I'm not trying to be hard on you, I just think other people should know it's common for all 4 of those to come on at the same time when a check engine light comes on and they shouldn't start replacing parts like say their airbag just because the airbag light comes on along with all the others.

We'll never know what the actual repair that was needed, but to me it just sounds like a shop either taking advantage of you or was genuinely clueless.
It't not that much of a stretch since you said the first shop gave you a estimate of $5,730 to repair the car.
Old 10-04-16, 02:05 PM
Tarkmrvmr
Driver School Candidate

Well I hope they didn't take advantage of me. I've gone to this ToyoTechs for
many years. They are located in Chamblee, Ga and have tons of customers.
I've never heard of them ripping a person off or not being fair. I have taken my car
into the Lexus dealership and they are more than willing
to take advantage of me that's why I stopped taking
my car in to be serviced there.

Quick Reply: Gx470. 2005