GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Not another GX vs LX Thread :-(

Old 08-31-16, 07:51 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not another GX vs LX Thread :-(

HI Guys,

Apologies for starting another GX 470 vs LX 470 thread, however i did read through some of the threads and have some sort of understanding between the two, however hers is my question for GX/LX owners.

2006 LX470 - 130K Miles , single owner
2005 GX470 - 80K Miles - 2 previous owners

I recently bought my first Lexus 2013 CT 200h F sport and it's been great so far, so much so that i am now thinking about replacing my 06 X5 4.8is with either a LX or GX.

What do you guys think? Is the high miles on LX a concern?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 08-31-16, 08:09 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Depends on Many Things

I would only go with LX if size is a concern and you want a FULL SIZE suv. If you are looking for medium sized SUV that is highly capable and great on road then go for GX especially it has low miles. Another thing you need to check the major maintenance e.g. Timing Belt + WP etc (which CT Lexus dealers will charge you arm and leg for unless you know how to negotiate). If major maintenance is taken care off, then any one of them can be a good deal. Again it totally depends on your preference. Both GX and LX are awesome.
Old 08-31-16, 11:34 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a BMW and an F Sport. I am thinking you will lean towards the GX. Its definitely quicker and sportier. Its by no means sporty though, its a luxury SUV with great off-road skills. The LX might feel like a tank to you. I wouldn't worry about mileage these vehicles are stupid durable/reliable.

Try driving both though. You very well may hate both of them.

Last edited by 180ls1; 08-31-16 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 12:33 PM
jbny
Driver

Thanks 180ls1

I am planning on test driving LX today and GX tomorrow, from the Lexus drivers site it seems like the said LX had issues with the AC blowing hot air which was fixed/checked by the dealer , it has been serviced at the same place however do LX have any known issues with AC blowing Hot air?

I did have something similar in my 325xi Wagon.
Old 09-01-16, 09:01 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

My brother-in-law has had two older LX's and never had the A/C fail, even though they live on the southern coast and can't tolerate not having it.

So from a small sample size, I would say it's not common.

Chip H.
Old 09-01-16, 04:39 PM
jbny
Driver

Thanks Guys,

I drove the gx today , not sure if it was that vehicle but compared to the lx it had a lot of body roll alao while braking it move a lot up and down like a boat not sure if there were issues with this gx but i did not like the ride at all.

i will try to test drive another gx but for now i am leaning towards the lx with higher milage ....
Old 09-02-16, 06:04 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
Thanks Guys,

I drove the gx today , not sure if it was that vehicle but compared to the lx it had a lot of body roll alao while braking it move a lot up and down like a boat not sure if there were issues with this gx but i did not like the ride at all.

i will try to test drive another gx but for now i am leaning towards the lx with higher milage ....
My GX drove just as you described until I swapped out the front springs and shocks. It rides slightly more firm now, but way more in control feeling, if that makes sense. I found the braking in town, combined with a headrest that is just a touch too close to the back of my head very annoying.

I wanted an LX, but was too cheap to spend the money on an 06-07 at the time. I will say, having driven both- I like the looks and tank-ish stock stying/ability of the LX over the GX, but I like the quicker power delivery and less lumbering maneuverability of my GX now. My .02 anyway.

You can't go wrong either way!

Cole

Last edited by yackowski; 09-02-16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-02-16, 08:25 AM
chrtorres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 03 GX470 for about a year now and actually purchased it from Lexus of Greenwich. It only had 82k - all i've done is change tires last year to Michelin AT's. Just did the timing and water pump this year. I was coming from an ES 300 which I still have with 200k , but traded my 98 LS 400 to offset cost of the truck. I don't go off-roading, mostly famly trips but I enjoy the crap out of the truck. It isn't an "SUV" per se.

I do feel the same about the body roll and I'm thinking since its' listed as a luxury truck that's what is to be expected. I do think at a later day I'll make some changes as mentioned by Yackowski and others on the forum.

If you're only doing city stuff you'll be fine - it takes some getting used to. Love the truck tho...
Old 09-02-16, 09:02 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

No one is going to talk about the LX dual tailgate vs. the GX barn door?

Chip H.
Old 09-02-16, 12:01 PM
jbny
Driver

thanks guys.

Dual tailgate is definitely better than the barn door in my opinion however sometimes Barn Door is easier to take things off.

So 06 with 130K miles (All service done) is not an issue? Should i go for it?
Old 09-02-16, 12:03 PM
yackowski
Rookie

I would. Those miles are nothing.
Old 09-02-16, 01:55 PM
JBedell
Driver School Candidate

I think your going to get service/maintenance issues with anything over 100k. I have a GX and have had to replace alternator, catalytic converters, leaking airbags once it hit 120k. I would go for lower mileage.
Old 09-06-16, 07:42 PM
rstl99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JBedell
I think your going to get service/maintenance issues with anything over 100k. I have a GX and have had to replace alternator, catalytic converters, leaking airbags once it hit 120k. I would go for lower mileage.
I second this. When I was researching the GX's prior to shopping for one, I'd read all these praising owner reviews saying things like "I drove it for 10 years and never put any money in it but oil changes, brakes and tires". But yes, things do prop up around the 120k mark (the mileage on mine when I acquired it). So if you can go lower mileage you are always better to do that. Good luck.
Old 09-08-16, 10:38 AM
jbny
Driver

thanks guys, I decided to not go ahead with that LX470 and will keep looking for something with lower miles.

As far as GX470 is concerned I need to test another one as i dont really like that Boaty feeling specially when i stopped the GX
Old 09-08-16, 10:50 AM
yackowski
Rookie

I test drove a 5th Gen 4runner for my brother the other day.. You might want to check one of those out if you haven't already. I liked the ride compared to a stock GX myself. The front was still a bit soft but not nearly as boaty feeling overall as a stock GX to me. Good luck in your search!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not another GX vs LX Thread :-(