GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

front suspension sagging a little

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 12:23 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default front suspension sagging a little

I am not at the point where I want to sink money into the entire suspension right now and I'm torn in general because I don't want to spend the money on oem replacements. I don't want to loose the option of the comfort settings and I also don't want any error codes or lights on my dash. I am kind of thinking for now of either adding one of those spacers for the front, leveling kit, 1.5"-2" or maybe just get a new set of front springs for now. Any recommendation? I am overwhelmed with the various threads on suspension issues and I think most people go with a full conversion kit. I am likely to do that in the near future but I'd like to level out the front for a while first. I am not noticing any performance issues with handling or tire wear that make me concerned at this point.

Thanks for your help. I see a lot of options on eBay for level spacers for the 4runner and FJ but the sellers say they don't make anything for the GX, I think they will fit but the vendors don't know or realize it. Many are in the $40-50 range to bring the front height up.
Old 08-20-16, 12:35 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

I have KDSS by the way, I'm not sure if that makes a difference in what I need to get?
Old 08-20-16, 11:37 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

it looks like one option would be bistein 5100, I could get two fronts for around $190-210. They seem to have height adjustability from 0-2", which would be perfect because I could do around 1-1.5" and be happy. Question, if I went this route instead of the $50 spacers, I would get new front struts instead of just lifting my old ones. However, i know I would loose comfort settings. If I still had the rear oem shocks connected, would they adjust using the comfort setting if I didn't have the fronts hooked up? And, would I get any dash lights if I simply removed the front units? I know that I can disable all warning lights by pulling the air sus relay and the tems fuse but what if I want to keep the rear air bags for now and utilize the height control with the bilsteins.
Old 08-22-16, 07:07 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Sagging would be springs.

Just in case it's not a visual thing throwing you off, measure from the center of the wheel (the cap) to the fender lip and post it so that we can compare it.

Chip H.
Old 08-22-16, 09:24 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps just change the springs, if you're satisfied with your current shock situation. I used a Bilstein/Toytec 112-620 spring set-up (and 1/4" spacer on left side) and it raised my front end 2" and also eliminated the nose dive when breaking without causing a harsh ride. I adjusted the ride height sensors for the final 1/2" to level out the rear and also eliminated the occasional bottoming out. I would imagine just swapping the springs would ride really close to factory. 22" hub to fender, both front and rear.
Old 08-22-16, 09:43 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Center of wheel to wheel well fender is 18.75" on one side and 19.25" on the other. (although I think the taller side was in the 18.5" range before I readjusted the rear height-sorry I forgot I just did that). Either way, they are both lower than 22".

I ordered the bilstein 5100 for the fronts and was planning on reusing the springs. However, I found Moog springs for $70 shipped. I didn't want to use after market springs to lift be I can use the bilstein a for a small lift on the second notch from the bottom. Would the Moog springs be better than my old factor springs? Should I do 4Runner springs or FJ springs for the front? Or, can I reuse the old springs and just do a lift with the bilsteins?

Edit: I have researched that I can get the Moog 4Runner 81088 springs (595lb rate) or the Moog FJ 81108 springs (660lb rate). I have decided that it's worth the new springs over my old ones but I have to decide on which ones. I'm leaning towards the softer 4Runner ones.

Last edited by GreggyG; 08-23-16 at 05:51 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-23-16, 12:46 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the "Quick Struts" from Monroe where the spring and strut are one assembly. Its the one for the 4 Runner, very affordable. It honestly rides better than it did on the original Lexus setup. You will though lose the adjustability function of "sport, comfort" etc, but I never really used it anyway. No dash lights came on for mine.

If its sagging in the front, that tells me you need to replace the spring or something else is going on.
Old 08-23-16, 02:12 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Thank you, I agree, the spring and shock needs to be replaced. I'm now just in a dilemma about the moog 4runner springs (softer) or the moog fj cruiser springs. I am also planning on adding the .8" lift option on the second rung from the bottom on the bilstein setting for a small lift.
Old 08-23-16, 07:10 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put on Bilstein 5100 front and rear over a year ago. The front are set at 1st perch which levels out the truck perfectly for a great stance. However the ride is kind of hard as I feel every road imperfections. If I were to do it all over again i would not go with Bilstein and would want something softer to get closer to an OEM ride. There is overload of suspension info on this forum but lots of it is contradictory. Some think Bilstein are perfect and close to OEM but my experience has been different.
Old 08-24-16, 01:51 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggyG
Thank you, I agree, the spring and shock needs to be replaced. I'm now just in a dilemma about the moog 4runner springs (softer) or the moog fj cruiser springs. I am also planning on adding the .8" lift option on the second rung from the bottom on the bilstein setting for a small lift.
My advice is go soft.

I just know my wife years ago had a 4Runner and it had a stiff ride from the factory that made it fatiguing to drive. My understanding is newer 4Runners they softened up the ride.

But if you spend a lot of time doing heavy offroading, and are going to replace with Bilstein shocks, etc. you may want a "buck board" type ride.

I just never really understood the point of a making a tall, heavy, luxury SUV have a stiff ride. Seems a huge everyday penalty for very little increase in actual real world performance.
Old 08-24-16, 03:21 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
My advice is go soft.

I just know my wife years ago had a 4Runner and it had a stiff ride from the factory that made it fatiguing to drive. My understanding is newer 4Runners they softened up the ride.

But if you spend a lot of time doing heavy offroading, and are going to replace with Bilstein shocks, etc. you may want a "buck board" type ride.

I just never really understood the point of a making a tall, heavy, luxury SUV have a stiff ride. Seems a huge everyday penalty for very little increase in actual real world performance.
Agree, 100%. My setup is so comfortable on and off road. Bilsteins and the right springs work great. Just don't go crazy on the lift. 2" or so works great as a dual purpose rig. My friend with a Jeep has to air down on country roads that are graded. I can go 70 mph in comfort. Sure his is better off road. But we wheel together all the time. My truck works just fine.
Old 08-24-16, 04:00 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Agree, 100%. My setup is so comfortable on and off road. Bilsteins and the right springs work great. Just don't go crazy on the lift. 2" or so works great as a dual purpose rig. My friend with a Jeep has to air down on country roads that are graded. I can go 70 mph in comfort. Sure his is better off road. But we wheel together all the time. My truck works just fine.
Glad that pairing the Bilsteins with the right springs can make the ride comfortable. What springs would you suggest? I will try to go that route instead of replacing both shocks and springs in not too distant future. Currently I have stocks @137k miles.
Old 08-24-16, 07:07 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

great advice guys, thanks. I went with the moog 4runner springs and not the moog fj springs. The 4runner springs have a 595lb spring load rating vs the fj have 660lbs, I believe that stock is 605, so the 4runner should be pretty nice.
Old 08-24-16, 07:52 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matsui
Glad that pairing the Bilsteins with the right springs can make the ride comfortable. What springs would you suggest? I will try to go that route instead of replacing both shocks and springs in not too distant future. Currently I have stocks @137k miles.
I went with Toytec 610lb springs. They are listed as HD but they really are not HD on our GX's. Gave almost 2 inch's of lift IIRC. You can find my build page over on IH8MUD. Same user name.
Old 08-26-16, 06:28 PM
GreggyG
Intermediate

what is the stock height measurement supposed to be for the front the center of the wheel to the wheel well, 20"?

Quick Reply: front suspension sagging a little