GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best Front Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 08:13 AM
montclaire
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Front Brake pads

My GX470 2007 has been showing some kind of uneven braking. It started when I was braking downhill and somebody suggested me to get a wheel and steering alignment which I did a few weeks ago. The vibrating and uneven braking stopped when driving downhill, but now I'm feeling it when on flat surface, but after coming from a downhill driving time. Could it be that the brake pads are getting Hot when coming downhill? I check the rotors and they are OK. A friend suggested it could be the brake pads and now I'm looking for the best ones, so they won't get as hot as the actual ones. My GX has just 55K miles in excellent condition but the dashboard, which will take years to get Lexus to change it at the local dealer. I'm planning on putting the COVERLEY one. By the way, any experiences with this cover?
Old 07-30-16, 08:29 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by montclaire
My GX470 2007 has been showing some kind of uneven braking. It started when I was braking downhill and somebody suggested me to get a wheel and steering alignment which I did a few weeks ago. The vibrating and uneven braking stopped when driving downhill, but now I'm feeling it when on flat surface, but after coming from a downhill driving time. Could it be that the brake pads are getting Hot when coming downhill? I check the rotors and they are OK. A friend suggested it could be the brake pads and now I'm looking for the best ones, so they won't get as hot as the actual ones. My GX has just 55K miles in excellent condition but the dashboard, which will take years to get Lexus to change it at the local dealer. I'm planning on putting the COVERLEY one. By the way, any experiences with this cover?
Pulsating when braking is the rotors, not the pads.
Old 07-30-16, 10:24 AM
montclaire
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But why the wobbling just after driving downhill? If the rotors were in bad shape, I'll assume that the braking wobbling will ocurr all the time. Nothing happens when I start driving my car or if I don't have to use the brakes too often.
Old 07-30-16, 10:49 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its because you use more force when breaking downhill thus making the symptoms of warped rotors more apparent.

I second it being warped rotors.
Old 07-30-16, 01:39 PM
neub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by montclaire
Dude.

Uneven braking: does it pull to either side - then your front calipers are shot. Very common with these big heavy terds.

Getting hot: what's getting hot? Are you pointing one of those Home Depot laser thermometers on it? I'm assuming you're pointing at rotors. Yes those get hot due to friction but most importantly because one or a few pistons are sticking or stuck.

if you touch a caliper with your finger and it burns a chunk off, that's another easy way to check haha. Personal experience..

Buy new:
1. Calipers
- or if you're feeling adventurous, rebuild your old ones.
2. Rotors
- your calipers ruined those for sure.
3. Pads
- likely worn sideways

Edit: That's not entirely true I guess.

You will also need:
1. Brake fluid
2. A buddy to help you bleed your brakes ( you can google how to do that)
3. Brake quiet spray
4. Brake pad grease to put on the bracket where it slides

Last edited by neub; 07-30-16 at 02:03 PM.