GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replace O.E.M. dash screen on a 2004 with a Pioneer Avic Z-2...??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 03:09 PM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace O.E.M. dash screen on a 2004 with a Pioneer Avic Z-2...??

Yes I did search but did not find any solid information..

We end up with a 2004 GX, we just did not see the point off spending much more to have the newer engine, plus in between the doggies, the kiddos and my clumsiness is going to be a mess in no time....

Well we don't even have the car and already found issue number one..

I can only do the map update to the 13.1 version, so I was thinking may as well try to install a Unit with all the features, DVD, GPS, memory stick, bluetooth, backup camera, you know everything..

Can it be done..??

Is there a how to video/write up somewhere..

Ps: I have study the GX well the LX too) for about 4 months and besides looking a little bland (Used to work/ride on Paris dakar rally motorcycles and trucks) they are incredible vehicles, I'm really happy we got one..
Old 07-12-16, 06:59 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

The problem is the OEM nav screen contains the HVAC controls...I haven't seen a real eloquent solution to get around this besides converting the dash to a non-nav setup and going from there.
Old 07-12-16, 08:24 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
The problem is the OEM nav screen contains the HVAC controls...I haven't seen a real eloquent solution to get around this besides converting the dash to a non-nav setup and going from there.
Oh that was my fear also..

Yes that can be a pain, can you buy the HVAC controls and install them somewhere else like the Cassette player area..? (i'm really good at making pretty brackets and mounts) are the electrical connexions the same..?

Last edited by patineto; 07-12-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-12-16, 11:08 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a matter of relocating buttons, its the fact that the HVAC controls and brain are within that one nav unit. Its not as easy as just finding that unit a center stack from a non nav unit either as a plug and play solution, from what i have heard they are completely separate units and even have separate wiring behind the dash.

There have been a couple threads about changing from nav to non nav first and then to aftermarket but the consensus is that once you have nav, you are stuck with what the technology at that time was. At best an add on module that tricks the system into using the cd changer for an ipod but even that is relatively limited.

Its to late now, but the ones to look for are non nav and they actually seem to be higher priced then nav ones for their rarity now
Old 07-12-16, 11:52 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
Its not a matter of relocating buttons, its the fact that the HVAC controls and brain are within that one nav unit. Its not as easy as just finding that unit a center stack from a non nav unit either as a plug and play solution, from what i have heard they are completely separate units and even have separate wiring behind the dash.
I guess I'm Fubar..

Yeap, nothing I can do about that one, total electronic clueless here...

Thank you for you advice even if is not Good news

There have been a couple threads about changing from nav to non nav first and then to aftermarket but the consensus is that once you have nav, you are stuck with what the technology at that time was. At best an add on module that tricks the system into using the cd changer for an ipod but even that is relatively limited.

Its to late now, but the ones to look for are non nav and they actually seem to be higher priced then nav ones for their rarity now
Around here in Utah you can find the none navigational ones for the same price if not less..

I just assume they where a "Lesser" model, this is happens when you don't investigate before hand..
Old 07-12-16, 10:36 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently bought a '07 GX470 w/ Nav. I had a '01 RX300 w/ Nav a few years back and except for the aggravating transmission failure it was a pretty decent car - so when I found the '07 GX w/ the Nav I didn't think much about it.

That all said - I wish I would have found a GX w/o the nav so I could have put in my own unit. I didn't pay any attention to how hard it would be to put in a modern stereo/GPS unit.

I'm not sure about older nav units but I was at least able to cheaply update the map/software so I don't have to hit the accept button each time I start the vehicle. Now it automatically changes from the warning to the map a few seconds after starting her up. (I bought an OEM '15 DVD for about $40 on eBay.)
Old 07-13-16, 05:26 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
I recently bought a '07 GX470 w/ Nav. I had a '01 RX300 w/ Nav a few years back and except for the aggravating transmission failure it was a pretty decent car - so when I found the '07 GX w/ the Nav I didn't think much about it.

That all said - I wish I would have found a GX w/o the nav so I could have put in my own unit. I didn't pay any attention to how hard it would be to put in a modern stereo/GPS unit.

I'm not sure about older nav units but I was at least able to cheaply update the map/software so I don't have to hit the accept button each time I start the vehicle. Now it automatically changes from the warning to the map a few seconds after starting her up. (I bought an OEM '15 DVD for about $40 on eBay.)
Sadly I just learn this for the 2004 model can only be updated to the 13,1 version all the other models from the 2005 up to the 14.1

First disappointment, I figure something out, I'm a "Little" Stubborn that way.
Old 07-13-16, 06:51 AM
Siceman
Driver School Candidate

I just got a 2001 RX with nav
I am planning on installing a new updated stereo and using the old video output from the nav to feed into the new screen.

Still researching it but this will give me normal controls and I will be able to use my Bluetooth again for music.
If I need access to the old system I just switch input to the aux in.

Think that could work??
Old 07-13-16, 07:37 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vaistech SL3B bluetooth adapter in place of the MD changer allows you to program it to bypass the acknowledgement screen. It's a pretty simple procedure too, and being as you get the side benefit of using your phone to bluetooth music and maps audible directions, it seems like a good solution for you.
Old 07-13-16, 09:36 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Siceman
I just got a 2001 RX with nav
I am planning on installing a new updated stereo and using the old video output from the nav to feed into the new screen.

Still researching it but this will give me normal controls and I will be able to use my Bluetooth again for music.
If I need access to the old system I just switch input to the aux in.

Think that could work??

I'm clueless with car electronics but at least this is a great place to start..

Another Naive question..

Besides the HVAC what other reason/function makes imperative to keep the old display..

Can you install it on the "glove box"...??

You know somewhere that is not the dash column..

Then split/cut the wires and do whatever it takes to redirect the functions to the aftermarket screen..? (I bet the issue is more about programing than just wires)

Ps: Keep in mind this is going to become a issue for the 14.1 systems too (plan obsolescence), is just matter of time until they become obsolete..

Just remember Now we use Ipads One's as shims for uneven tables even if we pay a ton for them a decade ago.

What about swapping the CD multi disc player for a DVD unit, problems..?? easy..?? (not like you need one with a HD card.)
Old 07-13-16, 09:34 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erkelbot
The Vaistech SL3B bluetooth adapter in place of the MD changer allows you to program it to bypass the acknowledgement screen. It's a pretty simple procedure too, and being as you get the side benefit of using your phone to bluetooth music and maps audible directions, it seems like a good solution for you.
Thanks for the info. I looked it up and it's an interesting solution!
Old 07-14-16, 06:13 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I looked it up and it's an interesting solution!
Don't you guys find the $260 price a little excessive or is this my welcome surprise to the lexus world..??

We did not get a G-Wagen for that very reason.
Old 07-14-16, 06:40 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by patineto
Don't you guys find the $260 price a little excessive or is this my welcome surprise to the lexus world..??

There are alternatives from GROM, and other companies, with varying levels of inputs, and other functions (such as the nav warning delete), shop around and see what works best for your needs and budget. Compared to the cost of retrofitting to a non-nav dash and adding and aftermarket head unit, the price is pretty reasonable I think.
Old 07-14-16, 07:02 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patineto

I didn't get a gelandewagen because everything is stupid expensive -- including the initial cost pre-owned. It's a totally different class of vehicle.

The SL3B is spendy, but it's one of the only solutions (and amongst the cleanest) that allows me to retain what I am already working with. I really didn't want to pull everything apart and jury-rig my dash for an aftermarket solution. Aside from that, $200 is about what you would spend for a non-nav double din worth having... If it were easy to slap in a new unit that would be one thing, but it's not. The Vaistech is a welcome addition for that reason. At least to me.
Old 07-14-16, 10:31 AM
patineto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by erkelbot
I didn't get a gelandewagen because everything is stupid expensive -- including the initial cost pre-owned. It's a totally different class of vehicle.
I have "In-field" experience with the "real" ones and they are outstanding in every way, the chassis and suspension are a thing of beauty (Narrow track so the actually fit on tiny roads), even the underpowered diesels get the job done (the heavy equipment and even troop transports are much slower anyway)

But yes the "PosserMovils" of today, still ride like tractors but can not go anywhere, to heavy, to much useless crap..

Purchase price is not to bad if you take into account the level of craftsmanship and materials plus they are usually very well taking care, but simple spare parts prices can drill a hole to china in your pocket..

I'm not going there no matter what..

The SL3B is spendy, but it's one of the only solutions (and amongst the cleanest) that allows me to retain what I am already working with. I really didn't want to pull everything apart and jury-rig my dash for an aftermarket solution. Aside from that, $200 is about what you would spend for a non-nav double din worth having... If it were easy to slap in a new unit that would be one thing, but it's not. The Vaistech is a welcome addition for that reason. At least to me.
You are right, I just compare it to the cost of a somehow "Cobble" together circuit (low production rebranded Chinese product) and it looks expensive, then as you say, is the only choice at this very moment (I have found two brands that apparently sell the exact same box)..

Thanks for sharing your real world experience..

Quick Reply: Replace O.E.M. dash screen on a 2004 with a Pioneer Avic Z-2...??