GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New member -- from 4Runner to GX470!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 01:14 PM
erkelbot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New member -- from 4Runner to GX470!

I'm happy for a couple reasons...

1) I just got myself a new, previously loved 2005 GX470. I picked it up with 109K, but everything seems to be quite solid. Timing belt was changed at 104K, air ride was replaced around the same time, and the truck is rust free on the body (with very minor surface rust on the frame -- and this is Minnesota). Everything works fresh as a daisy, and it's really familiar to me as a previous 4Runner owner (several, but the 4L V6s) -- but more refined, which is a joy.

2) It allows me to get into another forum and yearn more about my new truck. This forum seems like a great resource, and from what I have read already, I will definitely be using lots of knowledge here to keep her tip-top.

My questions to everyone today are

1) Is there anything I should do immediately as a no-brainer to make sure I don't have any issues on my hands? The fluids look good, and there doesn't seem to be any odd lurching after a full stop (the clunk). I'll probably add some grease down there anyway, but it feels like it may have been recently serviced or the TSB came to the rescue before I got it. Any other watch outs?

2) What is the first mod everyone did? I immediately ripped apart the dash and added a Vaistech SL3B to stream music on the factory nav (which is a critical mod -- it's awesome), and I cleaned up the headlamps with a 3M kit. I will likely be adding a XenonDepot HID kit with Phillips 4300Ks, since I've had a few in the past and liked their quality, but I have to tone it down as to not get questions from the wife on unnecessary spending. I'll probably also do something about the wheels and tires once the time comes, but lots of miles left on the Uniroyals on there now. The wheels are peeling though, which blows...

3) Is there a nanny for the traction control? Is there a way to flip off ATRAC and bust the wheels loose? The later 4th gen 4Runners had a button for defeating the nannies, and lots of people jury rigged the earlier models to turn off traction and ATRAC as well. I didn't see a button in the 2005 GX, so I thought I would ask.

4) looks like the license plate lights aren't super easy to swap out for LEDs. Do you have to rip apart the rear hatch to get to the bulbs, or is there something I am missing?

Anyway, thank in advance for the future help! Loving the new GX.
Old 07-12-16, 08:02 AM
wohv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The license plate lights can be changed without removing the rear cover. All you need to do is tug lightly at the old enclosure and it should come free. At least this worked for me ...

I ended up purchasing a whole new enclosure with permanent LED lights since once of my old enclosures were busted.
Old 07-13-16, 05:06 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

How difficult was it to install the Vaistech SL3B? Are you completely happy with its performance? I am pretty much addicted to listening to Mike and Mike in the morning for ESPN.
Old 07-13-16, 05:10 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Easiest install I've ever done. Get yourself a few plastic pry tools, and it'll take you :30 taking your time. You never really get used to yanking plastic elements of your dash off, but with some patience it'll go easy. Just don't go all he-man on it ...
Old 07-13-16, 05:22 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

OK Sounds like something I'll have to get. I used to install audio systems as a side job... So i'm pretty good at ripping dashes apart and making them go back together.
Old 07-13-16, 05:31 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

It'll be a breeze. Make sure you program it right, or you'll lose the text metadata. If you're on a Mark Levinson system, set the jumpers to MD emulation and not CD. I put the unit in my glove box for easy access, and reprogramming. It seem to work out very well, and I don't drop Bluetooth signal at all. The sound quality is easily as good as CD as well. I'm streaming from a Nexus 6p, so it's an Android phone. I've also heard great results with the iPhone platform on iOS.

Last edited by erkelbot; 07-13-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 05:32 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

In my quick reading of it the most issues happen with Android. I have Apple products so hopefully no issues will happen. I have the ML system as well.
Old 07-13-16, 06:16 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Yeah, I read the same thing. My android is as up-to-date as they get, so I imagine a lot of the past issues stem from out of date OS or firmware with BT. I read a ton of people talking about how their EVO phones wouldn't work with the BT in the Vaistech. Well, friend, that's a VERY old phone. That may be your issue...
Old 07-13-16, 08:18 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

ANOTHER QUESTION:

I don't know what version of Navigation software I have installed at present, but I wanted to know how high a version my GPS can support. I've read 04 downward can only do 13,1 as a max... What version will mu system support? AND, what are the differences? Does it look any better, or is it simply a few more landmarks and unmarked streets that come with new DVDs?... Thanks!
Old 07-13-16, 10:43 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

You can go to

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

and find your model year to see what generation it uses. Gen2/3 is already frozen at 2013 map data. Gen4 still has 2015 data available.

The updates are just map data. No UI changes.

Chip H.
Old 07-13-16, 11:11 AM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiph9
You can go to

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

and find your model year to see what generation it uses. Gen2/3 is already frozen at 2013 map data. Gen4 still has 2015 data available.

The updates are just map data. No UI changes.

Chip H.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I've got a Gen4 setup, so maybe I'll check around for a 2015 dvd to get it up to date with the newest road data at least. I'm going to guess eBay is my friend for this...not the dealer.
Old 07-13-16, 12:59 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

@erkelbot - Congratulations on the new ride!!
Old 07-13-16, 01:01 PM
erkelbot
Rookie

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
@erkelbot - Congratulations on the new ride!!
Thanks, Steve (or Steve's proxy). Let me know when you want to hook up a repeat customer with a screaming deal on an HID kit with phillips 4300s. This will be my 3rd or 4th... I forget which
Old 07-13-16, 01:06 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It's me, Steve

Send me a PM with a number.. I'll take care of you

Steve
Old 07-28-16, 09:20 PM
Donoharm
Driver School Candidate

I'm also debating between the 4Runner and gx470. Really what's turning me off from the gx is the clunky nav system and having to agree to a disclaimer on the screen every time I use the truck. Is there a way to hack it so it doesn't show the disclaimer? Can I just chuck it and replace it with an aftermarket one while retaining functionality?

Quick Reply: New member -- from 4Runner to GX470!