GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

1st Gen GX470 questions-nav, towing, RSES

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 09:56 PM
hilljack7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen GX470 questions-nav, towing, RSES

I am new to this forum so thank you for the opportunity to learn from you. I'm in Dallas TX and I plan on becoming a owner of a GX470 in the next 6 months. I have been reviewing posts over the last few days and I have a couple of questions. Please keep in mind that I do not plan on outfitting my GX for off-roading. It will primarily be my daily driver with occasional towing.

1. Why does it seem to be commonly preferred to not have the nav system? Is it just due to the limiting dash design relative to aftermarket options for stereo equipment? Or are there other problems?

2. I will be using for towing short distances of a 6000 lb boat. Is there a way to verify that the towing/hitch system (including trans cooler) is a factory option and not an aftermarket add on? Besides looking under the hood for the trans cooler...I'm seeing some GXs for sale online and wanted to learn if there was a common way to understand/identify the factory towing package.

3. I am also leaning toward the Rear Seat Entertainment System for my kiddo. Are there any particular packages that will have or not have this feature? I've seen most with the roof drop down screen but I've also seen a few with the screens in the back of the headrests. Is this a factory option or aftermarket?

4. Are there any real concerns with the GX that I need to be concerned about? I have read about the common ones, air suspension, cracking dash, radiator, timing belt and water pump, hard on front brakes, etc... None of which scare me away....but what else should I be concerned about?

5. I am considering a 2005-2008. Any particular year/model/features I need to steer away from?

Lastly, I am looking for a white exterior with tan (ivory) interior with less than 130k miles. Not in a hurry to buy but can make it happen for the right truck, If you know of one that will be coming available in the next 6 months please keep me in mind or give me a heads up.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
Old 06-24-16, 08:07 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

1. The navigation data on some of the older GXes is now no longer being updated. I have hit the support limit and my data is from 2013, and that's all it'll ever have. Newer models will eventually hit it as well (this is not specific to Lexus - try and get map data for old vehicles from any other maker) It does also limit your aftermarket radio choices, which I think is what most people are looking to do.

2. Looking under the hood for the cooler, and under the rear bumper for the 7-pin connector is the best way. I don't think entering the VIN on the Lexus owner's site will show you the original build configuration.

3. I have the headrest screens. The original owner had them dealer-installed by an aftermarket installer (some local stereo shop is my guess). My guess is that the roof-mounted ones are Lexus-original. These days I'd just buy the kids each a Galaxy Tab and load some games & movies on them.

4. That's pretty much the list.

5. Not that I'm aware of. The KDSS is cool, but expensive to fix, and if you're never planning to go off road, I'd skip it.

Chip H.
Old 06-24-16, 11:04 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just some food for thought since i was looking for the exact thing you were.

While the 05+ saw a decent bump in HP it also was at a much higher RPM. Torque increased from 320lb @ 3400 to 330 @ 3400. Understanding how HP #s are derived it stands to reason that all that new power is made in that new HP range. So if the 04 made 230hp at 4800rpm and the 05 made 270 hp at 5400rpm it stands to reason you are only seeing that power at the very top end.

After thinking it through and realizing that i dont expect to be flooring a luxo barge to redline, it opened up the door for me to be looking at 04s and they typically were $1-2K cheaper.
Old 06-24-16, 11:44 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Another advantage of shopping for 04 and earlier is their engines don't have the emissions air pump that is so expensive to replace (but.. lots less expensive to just bypass)

Chip H.
Old 06-24-16, 12:50 PM
hilljack7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
1. The navigation data on some of the older GXes is now no longer being updated. I have hit the support limit and my data is from 2013, and that's all it'll ever have. Newer models will eventually hit it as well (this is not specific to Lexus - try and get map data for old vehicles from any other maker) It does also limit your aftermarket radio choices, which I think is what most people are looking to do.

2. Looking under the hood for the cooler, and under the rear bumper for the 7-pin connector is the best way. I don't think entering the VIN on the Lexus owner's site will show you the original build configuration.

3. I have the headrest screens. The original owner had them dealer-installed by an aftermarket installer (some local stereo shop is my guess). My guess is that the roof-mounted ones are Lexus-original. These days I'd just buy the kids each a Galaxy Tab and load some games & movies on them.

4. That's pretty much the list.

5. Not that I'm aware of. The KDSS is cool, but expensive to fix, and if you're never planning to go off road, I'd skip it.

Chip H.
Thanks for your response Chip.

I believe I have talked myself out of considering the nav option This should open up the aftermarket options which are current day maps/technologies.

I was hoping for an indication in the VIN regarding the factory towing package.

Kind of the same thinking with regards to the dvd and the RSES. It does seem to make sense to have her use one of our iPods. I can figure out a way to mount it if necessary.

Thanks again.
Sean
Old 06-24-16, 12:55 PM
hilljack7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
Just some food for thought since i was looking for the exact thing you were.

While the 05+ saw a decent bump in HP it also was at a much higher RPM. Torque increased from 320lb @ 3400 to 330 @ 3400. Understanding how HP #s are derived it stands to reason that all that new power is made in that new HP range. So if the 04 made 230hp at 4800rpm and the 05 made 270 hp at 5400rpm it stands to reason you are only seeing that power at the very top end.

After thinking it through and realizing that i dont expect to be flooring a luxo barge to redline, it opened up the door for me to be looking at 04s and they typically were $1-2K cheaper.
Thanks for the response Snowry.

That is one of the reasons why I was considering 2005+ but your comments make sense.

The other is the towing package. I understood the 2004 were fitted with te smaller hitch rated at #5000. I want the better hitch system and I want it from the factory so I can get the trans cooler too.

And lastly, maybe you can verify....does the 2004 offer factory bluetooth? For some reason I think I read/heard that it did not.

Thanks again,
Sean
Old 06-24-16, 02:37 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Only the early 2004 are available with the lower rating hitch, you can swap to 6500# hitch from what I understand with some extra parts. The later 2004 readily accept 6500# hitch and those have the bumper bulge above the hitch whether they were installed or not (they are installed at random at the port) But I think most that have the 7 pin plug are ready to tow even if it does not have the hitch yet.
Old 06-24-16, 08:37 PM
hilljack7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Only the early 2004 are available with the lower rating hitch, you can swap to 6500# hitch from what I understand with some extra parts. The later 2004 readily accept 6500# hitch and those have the bumper bulge above the hitch whether they were installed or not (they are installed at random at the port) But I think most that have the 7 pin plug are ready to tow even if it does not have the hitch yet.
Thanks SC3coupe. Do you know if the #5000 hitch package on the early 2004s also included the trans cooler?
Old 06-25-16, 03:28 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hilljack7
Thanks SC3coupe. Do you know if the #5000 hitch package on the early 2004s also included the trans cooler?
I have a 2004 came with trans cooler and 7 pin electric hook up also the heavier duty fan . No hitch. I bought a draw tite hitch attaches to frame and i needed one relay to install under hood in the small relay box . There was one provided and one was missing.. Worked as soon as I plugged in the missing relay.
Old 06-27-16, 02:53 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

^^ mine is later 2004 and the 7 pin just worked without needing any relay or extra parts.

I bought a 7 to 4 way adapter and it has LED on it to test function and it worked,
but looks like even if you need a relay it is not too hard to access.
Old 06-27-16, 03:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

^^ mine is later 2004 and the 7 pin just worked without needing any relay or extra parts.

I bought a 7 to 4 way adapter and it has LED on it to test function and it worked,
On my truck under the hood close to the battery was a small black covered relay box that had only one relay in it . I needed to buy one relay and after i plugged it in my 7 pin was active I did buy the 7 to 4 pin also the tester as well
Old 06-27-16, 08:15 PM
hilljack7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have a 2004 came with trans cooler and 7 pin electric hook up also the heavier duty fan . No hitch. I bought a draw tite hitch attaches to frame and i needed one relay to install under hood in the small relay box . There was one provided and one was missing.. Worked as soon as I plugged in the missing relay.

Guys,

It sounds like there isnt any real way to determine these things via a VIN code. I'm not too concerned as I know there will be the option to add a draw-tite hitch and wiring connectors. And the relay scenario is an easy fix. I just need to make sure the model I end up purchasing has the trans cooler and HD fan.

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.
Sean
Old 06-28-16, 05:40 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Guys,

It sounds like there isnt any real way to determine these things via a VIN code. I'm not too concerned as I know there will be the option to add a draw-tite hitch and wiring connectors. And the relay scenario is an easy fix. I just need to make sure the model I end up purchasing has the trans cooler and HD fan.

Sean

I know that on earlier 2004 you needed to install a relay that was green in color it went in the area
behind the left tail light behind the panal some can reach it by going through th compartment for the jack or you have to pull the rear left side panel out a bit to get to the harness. My 2004 had the harness there with no relay and the green relay I bought had a different pin configuration so I wound up not needing the green relay but I did need to add one relay in the engine compartment. If anyone needs the actual green relay pm me
Old 06-28-16, 09:51 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Guys,

Sean
if you call lexus customer service and give them the vin they will email you the window sticker
Old 06-28-16, 07:03 PM
hilljack7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
if you call lexus customer service and give them the vin they will email you the window sticker
Now that's the type of info that I can use. Thanks Alan553 Is the Lexus Customer Service number a number I can Google?

Quick Reply: 1st Gen GX470 questions-nav, towing, RSES