GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Program Chipped Key for Immobolizer Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 12:12 PM
tomtbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Program Chipped Key for Immobolizer Solution

I couldn't find these instructions anywhere on this forum, but I found them on a 4runner forum and it worked for a 2005 GX! I bought a new remote key from 1010keys on ebay, programmed the remote and then used these instructions to program the chip so it can start the car, works great! This should probably be a sticky.

1. Take the new key and one master key that can start your 4runner(old key) into the 4runner with you and close the driver's door.(immobilizer light should be blinking)

2. Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
Insert old key (immobilizer light should be off from the first insertion)

3. open and close driver's door six times (immobilizer light should be off)
Step 2 and 3 need to be done in less than 35 seconds(pdf says 35 seconds)

4.remove the old key. (immobilizer light should come on(steady on, not blinking))

5. insert the new key(immobilizer light should be blinking)

Then just sit there and wait, after about one minute the blinking immobilizer light should go off and you're done.

Whole process need to be repeated for any additional keys, the just programmed key could be used as the "old key" for the additional keys.

If there are 5 master keys registered with the immobilizer, it won't accept any more(and I don't know how would it tell you this, so just do a erase if you can't get it to work after trying for a few times). You have to erase them using a similar method(bring in just an old key, insert+remove one more time and open+close one more time, after the 7th close of the driver's door the immobilizer light will stay lighted for one second, remove the old key quickly after that and all but that one you just removed are erased.)
The following users liked this post:
Mookyl3d (01-16-18)
Old 06-15-16, 04:44 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that is nice, but the bootleg techstream is a lot easier
Old 06-15-16, 04:48 AM
tomtbone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by burny
that is nice, but the bootleg techstream is a lot easier
Cool, I didn't realize you could also program the chip as well with techstream. I'll have to pick that up. Either way this is free, fast, and easy, worked the first time I tried it.
Old 06-15-16, 06:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone
Cool, I didn't realize you could also program the chip as well with techstream. I'll have to pick that up. Either way this is free, fast, and easy, worked the first time I tried it.

Nice trick but it wont work on a 2004 gx470 Has to be done with techstream or dealer
The following users liked this post:
Mookyl3d (01-16-18)
Old 06-15-16, 07:02 AM
tomtbone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
Nice trick but it wont work on a 2004 gx470 Has to be done with techstream or dealer
Out of curiosity how is the 04 different than the 05?
Old 06-15-16, 07:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone
Out of curiosity how is the 04 different than the 05?

I have a 2004 . The 2005 has blue tooth, I bought a OEM key from on line vendor and he told me the 2004 GX470 had to be programed with the techstream or by the dealer. He said the 2005 could be programed by that method you used. I also have a 2005 sc430 and I was able to program an extra key using a similar sequence of door openings and key inserts etc
Old 06-15-16, 07:53 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Really Useful Info

Thanks for sharing the information.

I might give it a try as i only have ONE Key for my GX and thats about it. No Wallet no nothing else..
Old 06-15-16, 11:49 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried all the variations of this method that were posted on the net, and never could get it to work. Instead, I purchased the "Toyota Smart Keymaker" for $13.87 and it programmed my key in seconds.
Old 12-10-16, 07:51 AM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just picked up an '07 GX last night. Only 1 key. Which option is preferred? I have programmed keys on other products where you needed TWO good keys, (pat your head, hit the brake do the hokey-pokey), but no Toyota products. I thought I read somewhere that an online retailer could do it all? Just wary of some scammers out there.
Old 12-15-16, 09:36 AM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Search for 1010keys on ebay for lexus keys, buy it from him and send in a photo of the existing key blade. He will send you a key that will open the door and crank the engine wont start since you need the inside FOB (Guts programmed). This is for just in case you get locked out and the keys are in the car, cheap option. I never had any luck of others selling aftermarket FOB for lexus. However, if you could find a used key for lexus GX or similar, you can buy the blade and key shell from 1010keys and use the used FOB and program it, I used the cheap techstream to do it, very simple, you can search my old post about techstream to program keys and other options on GX customization.

I went to used car dealer selling lexus and in the back he had a box with old keys I bought 2 from him for almost nothing, and programmed it with cheap $10 Techstream also bought on ebay, bought shell and blade from 1010keys, I ended up having 4 keys for under $80.

Originally Posted by ljerryd
Just picked up an '07 GX last night. Only 1 key. Which option is preferred? I have programmed keys on other products where you needed TWO good keys, (pat your head, hit the brake do the hokey-pokey), but no Toyota products. I thought I read somewhere that an online retailer could do it all? Just wary of some scammers out there.
Old 12-18-16, 08:48 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

When I did mine a couple months ago, I got the key from 1010keys on ebay. I texted them a photo of my key and they were able to cut the new key based on the photo, which is pretty slick. Then I ordered the Toyota Smart Keymaker that I mentioned above.

While I waited for the smart keymaker to get here from China, I did the procedure to program the key fob to lock/unlock the doors. Then when the keymaker arrived, I plugged it into the obd port and it programmed the new key to start the car. I think it's the cheapest and easiest solution unless you have a techstream setup.

So just to be clear, it's a 2-step process. There is the process to program the key to lock/unlock the doors, and then a separate process to program the immobilizer to start the vehicle. The procedure below programs the lock/unlock, then the smart keymaker programs the immobilizer:

Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
Within 5 seconds:
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Within 40 seconds:
Close and open driver’s door twice.
Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
Switch ignition ON and OFF:
Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
Five times to erase all registered codes.
Remove key from ignition switch.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four
times, slowly, to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
Within 40 seconds:
Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
Within 3 seconds:
Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button Fig. 1 or Fig. 2 .
System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.
Within 40 seconds:
Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door or insert ignition key.
NOTE: A maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.
Old 12-19-16, 08:15 AM
ljerryd
Rookie

Thanks to all of your prompt replies, I purchased a key from 1010Keys on Ebay. Received it really quickly and it works as described. Opens doors and turns in ignition switch. I swapped the electronics from the original key and used in the new one and used over the weekend to drive around. 1010Keys had a little note packaged with the key that said they sell a programming device for $27.50 only to verified key purchasers. Is this the same one you mention LoneHiker only more money? Wondering if I might want the Techstream for other functions in the future. I assume there are probably reviews elsewhere in the forums. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 12-19-16, 09:37 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ljerryd
Thanks to all of your prompt replies, I purchased a key from 1010Keys on Ebay. Received it really quickly and it works as described. Opens doors and turns in ignition switch. I swapped the electronics from the original key and used in the new one and used over the weekend to drive around. 1010Keys had a little note packaged with the key that said they sell a programming device for $27.50 only to verified key purchasers. Is this the same one you mention LoneHiker only more money? Wondering if I might want the Techstream for other functions in the future. I assume there are probably reviews elsewhere in the forums. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Yes it's the same one most likely, which is why I searched for a cheaper one. Glad you got it working.
Old 12-19-16, 03:46 PM
ljerryd
Rookie

It was too cold this weekend to mess with programming remotes, so I gave it a try using the instructions from 1010Keys. I only wish I would have read LoneHiker's instructions instead! 1010Keys has you doing the 5x turn ignition on/off which DELETES the known good remote!!! So there I was with no remotes and that is a little frustrating. So I tried using the above instructions clicking ignition only 1 time and was able to successfully program the NEW remote. But it gives the 2 lock cycle FAILED when I try the original remote. May just need to try a couple times but the temp is dropping again so maybe tomorrow. Arrrgh!
Old 12-20-16, 08:02 PM
ljerryd
Rookie

Warmer weather today in DFW, tried programming remotes again. First, performed a #3 to indicate how many remotes were programmed. It replied with just one. That would be my new Ebay key. Tried several times to program the original key, no go, always get the double lock/unlock saying it failed. Then I performed the 5 ignition clicks to erase all programmed remotes. That was successful. Performing the #3 tells me no remotes. Performed a #1 and was able to reinitialize the Ebay key. Another few tries on the original and every time it gives the 2 cycle "Failed". I pulled the battery out of the remote for about a minute to see if that helped. It didn't. I am out of ideas. Until I program the immobilizer, I now have to use 1 (new) key to unlock the car and the other (original) to start the car. What fun! Does anyone know if the TechStream allows programming of the remote as well as the immobilizer? I assume the little Chinese key programmer for under $20 doesn't.

Quick Reply: Program Chipped Key for Immobolizer Solution