GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX Transmission Flush - How long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 07:25 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

had it done, lexus dealer uses the Bosch system....

– New ATX 200 and ATX 300 Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchangers offer fast, accurate and thorough transmission fluid exchanges, according to Bosch. Both the ATX 200 and ATX 300 can exchange more than 90 percent of the transmission fluid in a single pass in the transmission cooler line mode – all in only two to five minutes, on average. Both models incorporate a suction "boost" pump that decreases the service time on low-flow and temperature-controlled transmissions – increasing shop productivity. The ATX 300 adds the versatility of a dipstick mode, increasing service opportunities, Bosch says. Both units feature an easy-to-use keypad and an adaptor set for most transmission cooler lines, increasing the number of potential services. A patented bypass circuit protects the vehicle if power is interrupted.
Old 06-15-16, 07:58 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Let us know.
My Transmission shifts smoothly. Every thing looks good so far.

Regarding that shudder it happens at a weired sitiuation for example If I on the Road going 40 MPH and all of a sudden road gets inclined and I don't give enough gas for it to keep up. Instead of downshifting itself it shudders until i give more gas or let off gas pedal for a sec and it will downshift....
WEIRED....
Old 06-15-16, 10:13 AM
180ls1
Rookie

The shutter shift is pretty common in the cummins world (which i know more about than lexus).

A quick "fix" is to bump up the line pressure a tad, may or may not help. What is more than likley is a solenoid or something in the valvebody or electronics is failing you. Lots of guys drive around with that issue though and it does not seem to cause much harm.
Old 06-15-16, 11:48 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Called a local shop today with the BG Transmission service. Their BG fluid exchanger also runs thru the cooler lines, and will approach near total replacement. However, they use BG fluid not Toyota WS. Estimated $300 and 30 minutes.
Old 06-15-16, 12:39 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax

Regarding that shudder it happens at a weired sitiuation for example If I on the Road going 40 MPH and all of a sudden road gets inclined and I don't give enough gas for it to keep up. Instead of downshifting itself it shudders until i give more gas or let off gas pedal for a sec and it will downshift....
WEIRED....
That's when the converter is unlocking. My high mileage Infiniti does it. We have a service bulletin for it to replace the valve body, but I'm not doing it. When you work on cars for a living the last thing you want to do is work on your own car after working on everyone else's all day.
Old 06-15-16, 01:17 PM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WEIRED....
I had this happen on an '03 Jeep Liberty (yeah, bad purchase), and it turned out to be the spark plugs. They were in rough shape. Swapped them out, problem solved. What I thought was a tranny shudder went away, just a misfire with the plugs. Just a thought!
Old 06-15-16, 01:29 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mustangpro
I had this happen on an '03 Jeep Liberty (yeah, bad purchase), and it turned out to be the spark plugs. They were in rough shape. Swapped them out, problem solved. What I thought was a tranny shudder went away, just a misfire with the plugs. Just a thought!
Well it might be due to the spark plugs as well.. because i did those
But How can i tell its a misfire? Do i need to look for a code or something. My CEL is not ON.

Thanks,
Old 06-15-16, 01:44 PM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
had it done, lexus dealer uses the Bosch system....

– New ATX 200 and ATX 300 Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchangers offer fast, accurate and thorough transmission fluid exchanges, according to Bosch. Both the ATX 200 and ATX 300 can exchange more than 90 percent of the transmission fluid in a single pass in the transmission cooler line mode – all in only two to five minutes, on average. Both models incorporate a suction "boost" pump that decreases the service time on low-flow and temperature-controlled transmissions – increasing shop productivity. The ATX 300 adds the versatility of a dipstick mode, increasing service opportunities, Bosch says. Both units feature an easy-to-use keypad and an adaptor set for most transmission cooler lines, increasing the number of potential services. A patented bypass circuit protects the vehicle if power is interrupted.
So what did the dealer charge for the service?
Old 06-16-16, 07:23 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Default Update

Well it might be due to the spark plugs as well.. because i did those
But How can i tell its a misfire? Do i need to look for a code or something. My CEL is not ON.

Thanks,
Called Dealership Service Adviser yesterday. He mentioned that this problem is fairly common across the board due to FLY BY WIRE SHIFT COMPUTER. Computer doesn't act fast enough to recover the gears or downshifts when needed. That's why you get shudder.....They have heard this complaint a lot in 3-4 years Now. I asked for the solution and he said nothing really.....
Old 06-16-16, 08:00 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Called Dealership Service Adviser yesterday. He mentioned that this problem is fairly common across the board due to FLY BY WIRE SHIFT COMPUTER. Computer doesn't act fast enough to recover the gears or downshifts when needed. That's why you get shudder.....They have heard this complaint a lot in 3-4 years Now. I asked for the solution and he said nothing really.....
Lol, communication is done via a high speed network line. It literally happens instantly. He's got no idea what he's talking about.
Old 06-16-16, 08:24 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Lol, communication is done via a high speed network line. It literally happens instantly. He's got no idea what he's talking about.
I agree.... His response was Goofy and didn't really convince me......
Old 06-16-16, 09:34 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiTownGX
So what did the dealer charge for the service?

two hundres and fifty dollars....(thread has a minimum number of required characters...could just say $250)
Old 06-16-16, 10:54 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
two hundres and fifty dollars....(thread has a minimum number of required characters...could just say $250)
Ha, that's funny!

Thanks, it's good to have a ball park figure for these things. I might check with a local independent shop that I trust also,
Old 06-16-16, 11:46 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Dealer here in Connecticut was charging 299.99 plus tax. I had a lot of back and forth with the Adviser and finally got it done in $249.99.

@ALAN

Your dealer price seemed right from the start which NJ area dealer you use.? if it is allowed to name the dealer). Edison, Cherry Hill, Bridgewater, Ramsey, etc... there are so many in NJ.
Old 06-20-16, 08:38 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cost of Fluid

Hey guys, I have mine in at the Toyota dealer close to my house. $200 plus environmental fees. Not too bad.

On a side note, I have the ticking from the exhaust manifold. Hoping it's not both sides, and hoping maybe it's not even the manifold. Searching on thread, there still appears to be no upgrade to the manifolds? Stock is the only way to go? Toyota dealer has the manifold with cat at $762 per side. That's just the part. Anyone have options?

Quick Reply: GX Transmission Flush - How long is too long?