GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX Transmission Flush - How long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 08:56 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
There's no such thing as a sealed transmission that never requires service. All automakers that tried to go this route have abandoned it. If you want to roll the dice and believe in the marketing, go right ahead.
My point here is who to believe really. If you read the attachment it is screaming "INSPECT ONLY"

Old 06-09-16, 12:08 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
My point here is who to believe really. If you read the attachment it is screaming "INSPECT ONLY"

"Inspect only"

To me that just does not make any sense. What are they inspecting? That is has fluid? That it is at the right level? I guess that is all they can inspect. Looking at fluid tells you nothing. NOTHING mechanical last forever. It should be replaced eventually. To deny that fact is just not reasonable.
Old 06-09-16, 01:09 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many factory fills were on the low side. Plus over time fluid can seep out, get burned off, etc. The proper way to determine the right level is to start with replacing exactly what you took out, then add an extra half of a quart or so, and do the temp. check method as described in detail in the the FSM. Once the trans is at the proper operating temperature, you open the overflow bolt and allow the excess fluid to run out until there is just a steady slow trickle. That is the correct level.

Also, changing what's in the pan every 30k would be the equivalent of changing about 1/3 of your engine oil each oil change and adding 1/3 new oil. Would you really do that? Changing it three times in 90k does not give you new fluid...

Flush it out properly and fill it per FSM procedure. A drain and fill is a waste of money. If a dealer want to do that service then they are not doing you any favors.
Old 06-09-16, 05:43 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree 100 percent:

IMHO changing it every 30K is like having a regular transmission with Dipstick....

Whats the point of Having Sealed Transmission when it needs to changed every 30K. Also Whats the point of putting Toyota World Standard Fluid (Synthetic) If you need change it 30 K, Plus your service manual doesn't even mention the change...

(BTW it does make sense from Dealers Point of View they need to make money on all those unnecessary flushes and drain+fills)

This is what Lexus says on the maintenance forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ion-fluid.html
Ok let's look at all of these issues 1 by 1...

1. Those of us advocating the 30k mile fluid change are not completely flushing the fluid, we are doing a normal fluid change. This only removes about 1/3 of the fluid each time. This is why 30k makes sense. Transmission fluid lasts 100k miles. It doesn't matter that it's TOYOTA SUPER POWERFUL WORLD STANDARD garbage. That's marketing nonsense and it was a mistake for Toyota to ever make such a claim.

2. We use WS fluid in these vehicles because the transmission requires it, not because it's better. In the same context, on my Cummins diesel pickup truck with NV4500 manual transmission, it requires Castrol SynTorq LT fluid. It's not because it's better in any way, but it's because the transmission internals require that particular additive package. I come from the world of working on industrial equipment and I can't believe the marketing nonsense that goes into consumer vehicles. Lifetime automatic transmission fluid is not technically possible, so get that idea out of your head.

3. I made the statement that color means nothing when looking at used transmission fluid, and I am 100% correct in this statement. I used to deal with this stuff every day. If you want to know the real story on your fluid, you need to send a sample off for analysis. It's something we used to do at work all the time. Because, we weren't a jiggly-lube that was trying to rip off the consumer public. The idea of fluid color having any real meaning was created by oil change shops trying to upsell.

4. Why does color mean nothing? You can have beautiful fluid that is full of contaminate particles from some part of your tranny wearing out (chromium, etc), and you can have dark brown fluid that is in perfect health. You cannot tell what's going on from color. This is one of the few honest descriptions of transmission fluid found on the web, I highly recommend reading this page:
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/141

5. I think the original poster mentioned the shop used a flushing machine to remove the old fluid and put the same amount back in. THIS IS TERRIBLE. The reason shops do this, is that properly checking the fluid level takes time, and they don't want to spend the time that you've paid for to have it done properly. They have to warm up the transmission, connect a scan tool to read the temperature, and then check the overflow plug. Too much time they say!

6. The info that you've linked from Lexus about not changing WS fluid is old info that Lexus no longer advocates. They now advocate 60k changes, but even that is not sufficient when doing the normal 1/3 changes.

7. The idea that Lexus dealers are trying to upsell you on fluid changes that are unnecessary is only partially true. Believe me, they would much rather replace your entire transmission which failed because you never changed the fluid. It's the quick oil change shops that usually try to upsell on fluid changes by using the color as a method to scare you. Check this out for more details:

Hopefully the above info helps to clear up these issues.
Old 06-09-16, 08:17 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
IIRC, Ford tried this with the 2nd generation Taurus. Did not go well.
By the time the damage was noticed, the car was long out of warranty, so it was a "win" from Ford's viewpoint.

Chip H.
That was the single worst transmission replacement known in the industry. My dad worked for LQK and he delivered about 2 a week on average for a long time.
Old 06-09-16, 08:19 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
Ok let's look at all of these issues 1 by 1...

1. Those of us advocating the 30k mile fluid change are not completely flushing the fluid, we are doing a normal fluid change. This only removes about 1/3 of the fluid each time. This is why 30k makes sense. Transmission fluid lasts 100k miles. It doesn't matter that it's TOYOTA SUPER POWERFUL WORLD STANDARD garbage. That's marketing nonsense and it was a mistake for Toyota to ever make such a claim.

2. We use WS fluid in these vehicles because the transmission requires it, not because it's better. In the same context, on my Cummins diesel pickup truck with NV4500 manual transmission, it requires Castrol SynTorq LT fluid. It's not because it's better in any way, but it's because the transmission internals require that particular additive package. I come from the world of working on industrial equipment and I can't believe the marketing nonsense that goes into consumer vehicles. Lifetime automatic transmission fluid is not technically possible, so get that idea out of your head.

3. I made the statement that color means nothing when looking at used transmission fluid, and I am 100% correct in this statement. I used to deal with this stuff every day. If you want to know the real story on your fluid, you need to send a sample off for analysis. It's something we used to do at work all the time. Because, we weren't a jiggly-lube that was trying to rip off the consumer public. The idea of fluid color having any real meaning was created by oil change shops trying to upsell.

4. Why does color mean nothing? You can have beautiful fluid that is full of contaminate particles from some part of your tranny wearing out (chromium, etc), and you can have dark brown fluid that is in perfect health. You cannot tell what's going on from color. This is one of the few honest descriptions of transmission fluid found on the web, I highly recommend reading this page:
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/141

5. I think the original poster mentioned the shop used a flushing machine to remove the old fluid and put the same amount back in. THIS IS TERRIBLE. The reason shops do this, is that properly checking the fluid level takes time, and they don't want to spend the time that you've paid for to have it done properly. They have to warm up the transmission, connect a scan tool to read the temperature, and then check the overflow plug. Too much time they say!

6. The info that you've linked from Lexus about not changing WS fluid is old info that Lexus no longer advocates. They now advocate 60k changes, but even that is not sufficient when doing the normal 1/3 changes.

7. The idea that Lexus dealers are trying to upsell you on fluid changes that are unnecessary is only partially true. Believe me, they would much rather replace your entire transmission which failed because you never changed the fluid. It's the quick oil change shops that usually try to upsell on fluid changes by using the color as a method to scare you. Check this out for more details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI

Hopefully the above info helps to clear up these issues.
I knew enough to know not to force it out via a flush. That's bad news. Just didn't know how the dealer would cycle it all out. Do Lexus dealers flush or run, drain, run, drain?
Old 06-10-16, 04:36 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Goosed
I knew enough to know not to force it out via a flush. That's bad news. Just didn't know how the dealer would cycle it all out. Do Lexus dealers flush or run, drain, run, drain?
A power flush is not a regular flush. A regular flush that uses the trans pump to cycle fluid will be fine. A power flush is a machine that increases line pressure to force clean fluid through. I haven't seen one of those in years and years.
Old 06-10-16, 07:23 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Goosed

Mine uses a machine that puts new fluid in as it draws the old fluid out. The pressure inside the transmission is no higher than it is during normal operating process.
Old 06-10-16, 01:49 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

After all this discussion.

I have scheduled a flush tomorrow at my dealer.

My Service Advisor told me :

1st they will get the old WS Fluid out.
2nds they will run some cleaner in it.
Then cycle new fluid.

He mentioned, for the flush they don't to drop the pan.

Not sure how they do it exactly?
Old 06-10-16, 02:18 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Then cycle new fluid.

Run it through the trans cooler lines, that's how.
Old 06-10-16, 09:39 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Then cycle new fluid.

Curious and skeptic of the cleaner. How do they "rinse" the cleaner out?
Old 06-11-16, 09:43 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Not sure. But I will try to get details once they finish.
Old 06-12-16, 07:09 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Default Update

Below is what it states on my Bill and Service History as done:

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE FLUSH AND TREATMENT - 123308 PERFORMED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH, REMOVE OLD FLUID, POWER FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY, ADD CONDITIONER AND REPLACE WITH NEW FLUID PERFORMED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH, REMOVE OLD FLUID, POWER FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY,

I am hoping this takes care of the occasional Transmission Shudder that happens when i am between 20-35 MPH and transmission tries to downshift but shudders. I let my foot of accelerator and it downshifts and smooths out.
Old 06-12-16, 11:07 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE FLUSH AND TREATMENT - 123308 PERFORMED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH, REMOVE OLD FLUID, POWER FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY, ADD CONDITIONER AND REPLACE WITH NEW FLUID PERFORMED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH, REMOVE OLD FLUID, POWER FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY,

I am hoping this takes care of the occasional Transmission Shudder that happens when i am between 20-35 MPH and transmission tries to downshift but shudders. I let my foot of accelerator and it downshifts and smooths out.
Sounds like a converter or valve body issue trying to unlock the converter.
Old 06-12-16, 12:23 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Let us know.

Quick Reply: GX Transmission Flush - How long is too long?