GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I'm getting a new bumper... and light... and...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 08:40 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting a new bumper... and light... and...

Yeah Friday was no bueno for me... I was merged into by a BoxTruck and here is the resulting damage...

Bent the sub-frame assembly

Fender is toasted... Also hit the tire and according to my body shop guy. Knocked the toe out a bit. Slight wobble driving it.

You can see the hood got slightly dented and the fender gap is now exaggerated.

Knocked the HID Ballast right out of the area it was in. I think its broken.

And now this is what it looks like without a bumper
Old 05-24-16, 09:18 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that sucks!

Make sure you get 2 headlight assembly's cause I can see they are yellowed a bit and it will not look right with one brand new one and the older one!!
Old 05-24-16, 09:26 AM
techrep
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That will not buff out ! bummer
Old 05-24-16, 10:08 AM
ScatAdams
Rookie

What steel bumper are you getting?
Old 05-24-16, 02:55 PM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScatAdams
What steel bumper are you getting?
I wish! Lol. My body guy suggested he could do it but the insurance adjusters nixed it.
Old 05-24-16, 04:45 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Get a check from the insurance adjuster, then go buy the bumper.
Old 05-25-16, 05:31 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Won't work that way unfortunately. My body shop provided the quote and the company that hit me is not going through insurance, so they are only going to pay what the body shop has quoted for. What would be a $1,400 bumper from Metaltech would be well over $2K with the upcharge from the bodyshop, so its a no go on that.
Old 05-25-16, 01:23 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeetShoot
Won't work that way unfortunately. My body shop provided the quote and the company that hit me is not going through insurance, so they are only going to pay what the body shop has quoted for. What would be a $1,400 bumper from Metaltech would be well over $2K with the upcharge from the bodyshop, so its a no go on that.
You can also be compensated for depreciation due to the accident because the vehicle is now worth less.
Old 05-26-16, 06:05 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Yep. Don't forget to include a claim for diminished value!

Chip H.
Old 05-26-16, 07:51 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Yep. Don't forget to include a claim for diminished value!

Chip H.
Not to steer this thread away from the OP but isn't the diminished value claim only good if you sell your car?
Old 05-26-16, 08:12 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Also, I would have to most likely employ some sort of a legal technique here since this is again, not going through insurance claims.

Also I don't plan on selling this car until the repair/replacement value on it exceeds its utility. My other car is a 2011 BMW 535I which I love driving in great weather. Have almost 90K on the clock on that one and plan to keep it till its almost unusable as well. One hell of a car if you ask me...

Once the Beemer is on death's door-step, I'll trade it in for whatever I can get on it. And look into getting either a new(ish) 4runner, or if the money is flowing a new GX or Land Cruiser. Also kind of matters if we go back to $5 per gallon again. lol
Old 05-26-16, 09:35 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx430
Not to steer this thread away from the OP but isn't the diminished value claim only good if you sell your car?
No, the claim is valid at the time of loss (which would be when he was hit). I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company told you that though, they will do whatever they can to screw you out of your $$$.
Old 05-26-16, 11:53 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Again....\

Not going through insurance. They are just going to pay for the repairs to my car directly to the body shop. Infact I just got the agreement to sign from them so they can cut the check.
Old 05-26-16, 12:03 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

If you're not happy with their resolution, do you not still have the option to put the claim through your insurance and have them pursue recovery from the company that hit you/their insurance? Or do you not have collision coverage? Or is there something else I'm missing? Seems to me you could at least threaten that, and request a cash settlement to do what you'd like with it. You are not at fault here, the company that hit you is trying to avoid a claim, I would think they'd be willing to accommodate you to ensure your cooperation.

I'm not in the US, but I did adjust auto claims for a private insurer at a previous job.
Old 05-26-16, 12:29 PM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

To be honest with you I'm sure I could deny and not sign it, but to be honest, they have been excellent to work with (the company) they called right away apologized and said they would handle everything.

I'm not really an opportunistic guy so for me to try to get some extra cash out of it, really isnt in my nature. I just want my car fixed and back to me so I can enjoy it again, thats all.

Quick Reply: I'm getting a new bumper... and light... and...