GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Motive Power Bleeder for brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 12:56 PM
melcoeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motive Power Bleeder for brake fluid flush

Has anyone used this to do a brake fluid flush? I've used it on my Sequoia, and I'm assuming it should be the same process for a GX, but wanted to check if anyone's done it...Also, DOT 3 or DOT 4?
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-16, 12:00 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

There's an internal pump for the rear brakes, so I'm not sure a power bleeder would even work for these. You'll want to do some more research to be sure.
Old 05-24-16, 09:56 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm planning to do my brakes next month with a similar vacuum bleeder. There's no magic in the GX that would cause it to not work. Brake fluid is DOT3. I use Valvoline Synthetic DOT3&4 in all my vehicles and it has always worked great, so I'll use that when I do the GX.

There is an electric rear brake pump but it's not an issue. Just for kicks, I might have my wife get in the driver seat, turn the key on, and press the pedal while I open the bleeder. Supposedly the pump will auto-bleed the rear brakes in this way, making the process go faster.

Now, if you are bleeding the brakes to remove air, that's another issue entirely. In that case, you have to activate the ABS system to remove air in there. But it's not an issue for a regular brake flush.

I have attached the relevant manual section, but notice that this manual section is for bleeding air from the system. I haven't found an entry in the manual for a normal fluid flush.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
03900210[1].pdf (66.7 KB, 328 views)
Old 05-26-16, 09:00 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
I'm planning to do my brakes next month with a similar vacuum bleeder. There's no magic in the GX that would cause it to not work. Brake fluid is DOT3. I use Valvoline Synthetic DOT3&4 in all my vehicles and it has always worked great, so I'll use that when I do the GX.

There is an electric rear brake pump but it's not an issue. Just for kicks, I might have my wife get in the driver seat, turn the key on, and press the pedal while I open the bleeder. Supposedly the pump will auto-bleed the rear brakes in this way, making the process go faster.

Now, if you are bleeding the brakes to remove air, that's another issue entirely. In that case, you have to activate the ABS system to remove air in there. But it's not an issue for a regular brake flush.

I have attached the relevant manual section, but notice that this manual section is for bleeding air from the system. I haven't found an entry in the manual for a normal fluid flush.
This is new. I was planning on bleeding the brakes to replace old fluids. Didn't know about depressing the pedal for this task. I've always just hook up my Motive then crack the bleed valve on other vehicles.
Old 05-26-16, 09:06 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the Motive Brake Bleeder, and for other cars it works amazing, the only problem is the adapter that Motive includes with the kit to attach to the fluid container on Lexus/Toyota vehicles doesn't seem to work (it comes with a few universal type attachments) and I think you have to find an aftermarket solution to get it hooked up properly because I could never get one that got an airtight seal.

When you would pump it, air would come out where it attaches to the brake fluid container.

On other cars, it wasn't an issue and worked great.

I haven't had very good luck with the "vacuum" style where you apply a vacuum to the brake bleeder screws. Seems really it or miss.