GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Would you buy this car? 04 GX 135k for $11500

Old 05-05-16, 08:47 PM
ap11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy this car? 04 GX 135k for $11500

Found an 04 with 135k miles for $11,500 nearby. They are motivated to sell, and seem willing to make a deal. May go look at it next week. Thanks to another post I was able to log into My Lexus and pull up the service history. What an amazing resource!

Anyway--- it look like it was well maintained until the last 30k miles when bad stuff started happening and the owner didn't do anything about it. At least they took it into the dealer.

Here were the issues listed on My Lexus:

FOUND OIL AND/OR FLUID LEAKS. - TRANSFER CASE ORING IS LEAKING ESTIMATE 887.00 PART WOULD HAVE TO BE ORDERED - CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIR AT THIS TIME.

FOUND CONSTANT VELOCITY (CV) DRIVE BOOTS WERE CRACKED OR OPEN - DRY. - BOTH FRONT CV BOOTS ARE LEAKING GREASE EST 966.00 PARTS HAVE TO BE ORDERED - CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIR AT THIS TIME.

SPARK PLUGS ALSO DO IF NOT DONE ELSEWHERE EST 343.00 - CUSTOMER DECLINED

FOUND OIL AND/OR FLUID LEAKS. - VALVE COVERS LEAKING - CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIR AT THIS TIME. EST $533/ TRANSFER CASE IS LEAKING $1200

NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE C/S VEH WILL SPIN OVER BUT NOT START **10% DISCOUNT ON LABOR PER MIKE H. - WIRING HARNESS CHEWED THROUGH BY SOME TYPE OF ANIMAL, DAMAGING SHIELD WIRES AND NOT REPAIRABLE. WIRING HARNESS NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. - R&R HARNESS W/DIAG 1.0 REPLACED HARNESS AND CAR STARTS NORMAL. NO ISSUES AFTER REPLACEMENT

VALVE COVER IS STARTING TO SEEP ON PASSENGER SIDE ONTO EXHAUST, AT STARTUP SMOKES A LITTLE BIT. - CUSTOMER ADVISED OF FUTURE NEEDED REPAIR.

They said on the service records that two tires also need to be replaced. I'm not sure if the valve cover and transfer case entries are for the same thing.

Leaking air suspension isn't mentioned, but I guess that's hard for a dealer to notice on an inspection.

What do you guys think is a fair price considering all the issues? Adding up totals from the above looks like $3,000 to $4,000 in deferred maintenance, but maybe it would cost less at a Toyota dealership or independent. Should I keep looking? My budget is less than $15k.
Old 05-09-16, 11:06 AM
wannasc300
Driver School Candidate

Id say it depends on how handy you are with a wrench. You could perform most of those repairs yourself for a fraction of what the stealer will charge you, but it will take your time. FWIW, I just bought an 06 with 105K on the clock, no nav or rear entertainment and paid 12K. There were two issues with it; tires needed to be replaced and the parking brake wouldn't lock into position. I have since fixed both.
Old 05-09-16, 11:31 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

valve cover gasket is an easy DIY and the parts shouldn't be more than $100??? ... not sure how hard the transfer case gasket will be and if it just a pop the cover off and replace gasket ordeal, or if you actually have to remove other things... plugs are obviously easy...

if the CV's are just dry and it is still early enough where they aren't clicking, you can just regrease them and replace the boots... drive it in a circle full steering locked to both sides and listen for clicking...

i'd start with $10k
Old 05-09-16, 11:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
valve cover gasket is an easy DIY and the parts shouldn't be more than $100??? ... not sure how hard the transfer case gasket will be and if it just a pop the cover off and replace gasket ordeal, or if you actually have to remove other things... plugs are obviously easy...

if the CV's are just dry and it is still early enough where they aren't clicking, you can just regrease them and replace the boots... drive it in a circle full steering locked to both sides and listen for clicking...

i'd start with $10k
Good advice here. Crawl under the thing and see how bad the CV boots look and see how much the transfer case is leaking. Dealers can sometimes recommend unnecessary service, as if they might see 1 drop of oil leaking from that transfer case, they're going to recommend replacing the seal.

Also if you are buying this from a private owner, check their driveway/garage where they park it for oil stains.

Also I don't know how set you are on a GX, but a similar year 4 Runner can be had with the same full time 4wd and v8 engine package as a GX. About the only thing you give up is the 3rd row seat and the fancy wood trim on the inside, its the same truck under the skin. There is no failure prone air suspension on the 4 Runner and the rear door is a conventional hatch, which are nice bonuses IMO. Might be able to score a nicer/lower mile 4Runner for the same $$$$.
Old 05-09-16, 11:55 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that thing will do $11K at auction if it's clean, in a good color and has the right equipment (Navi).

So... Does it really need $3K in work.. well, how handy are you with a wrench? Whenever I get a late model GX in to CPO I spend an average of $1800 on it.....
Old 05-09-16, 12:02 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you looked in Service History may be the owner was sensible and didn't want to get ripped off while he was there. He probably got the most important thing done and researched the best options for the rest of the recommendations. Before you go read up on the things mentioned and look for specifics like boots.

Remember Dealership Service Advisers are Sales people. So they have to create a sense or urgency to scare you into accepting unneeded services. Just happened to me last week when i was there for my timing belt (Nothing leaking) but bunch of unnecessary fluid flushes and fuel induction services and $70 for Engine Air Filter Replacement. ya da da. And yes all those services i denied do show on the Lexus Vehicle history.

Since you know great details about the car that you are willing to buy. If it was me I would ask questions and carefully examine the car before showing any interest to buy or making an offer.

Good Luck.
Old 05-09-16, 07:01 PM
ap11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies!

I'd like to think they had some of the more pressing things done, but I don't think they did since all of the items above were listed multiple times on the service records and getting progressively worse. i.e CV axles look dry, CV axles leaking, CV axles need replacing, etc. The car was auctioned and bought by a small time dealer that doesn't know anything. It's over an hour away, so I haven't looked at it or wanted to waste time looking at it unless I was going to make an offer.

I'm not afraid of doing work, but I don't really have the time or the tools. Every time I tried working on my CRV it seemed like I spend more money than if I would've had someone else do it.

I did just find a private party 06 with 148k miles for $11k, and the car was passed down once in the family. It has a much better maintenance record, but it's got some peeling paint/clearcoat on the hood and near the sunroof.
Old 05-10-16, 07:15 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Price seems to be right. If the owner can negotiate a little than minor dings and scratches can be discounted. But do check for all the basics mentioned before. Hope you seal the deal.
Old 05-10-16, 01:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if the transfer case seal is not fixed or replaced, it will fail. the one on my GX did as owner kept declining service.
If you can't change it yourself, you should walk away right now, cause its a large expense from the dealer. Its probably why they are selling it.

that is the most concerning thing on that list, boost and such are only a couple hundred here and there if you take it to toyota.
Old 05-11-16, 12:06 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Must be talking about the gold one in BR?
Old 05-12-16, 10:04 PM
ap11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Justin727
Must be talking about the gold one in BR?
Yeah, but seemed like too many issues. Looking at another one in Mobile now that looks like it's been better taken care of.
Old 05-13-16, 06:31 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ap11
Yeah, but seemed like too many issues. Looking at another one in Mobile now that looks like it's been better taken care of.

Good Luck!