GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Newbie (for a reason...)....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 02:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you have ever swapped out toyota rear coils (the 4runner or fj60's) then you have done something twice as difficult as replacing a rear air bag. they sell them online from lexus for ac ouple hundred each and its not hard to pop the old ones out and pop the new ones in, or have an indy shop do that.

the sensors dont go out as much as people like to complain about it.
the radiators do though but really unless it was just replaced, you never know when it will go. b oth my GX's have had replaced radiators, it just happens, plan for it but its not a bank buster just more of a nuisance.

go for the private party one for sure, its close tot he mileage for a timing belt so check that or factor it in.
make sure frame isn't rusty, lots of people trying to pass out the ones from flood areas or from north east that look like swiss cheese, look especially at the support under the radiator in the front if thats gone you can be sure there is more elsewhere.
boots yeah its obvious they will fling grease in the whole area, on the GX and 4th gen 4runners it doesn't happen that often unless you lift it some, but they do go from time to time.
you can check the coots and the front supports and frame rails all at the same time by looking up underneath front the front, also check underneath from the rear the frame rail condition around the suspension mounts.

just a general drive will tell you alot. also I like to pop the hood and check the frot fenders for the lexus sticker, if its not there its been removed or replaced and could indicated a fender bender.

you can generally tell how the shocks are by the ride, if its clunky when rolling its the shocks those aren't inexpensive but you can convert to non electronic as well.
if its clunking coming to a stop or leaving a stop, then its the driveshaft needs greasing, not a big deal, the full time 4wd 4runners and landcruisers do the same thing.
Old 05-07-16, 12:54 PM
altos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...I am not getting far. The private party was obnoxious on the phone: "it's perfect, bring cash or don't plan on seeing it, I won't hold it".....blah, blah, blah. I try to avoid walking around with a 4 inch thick wad of $100 bills.

The dealer car: 72K miles, is a 2006 not 2004, and they are asking $21k. U.S., American dollars. Air suspension appeared to work. No CV splatter but it may have been recently cleaned. No apparent rust. Drivers leather seat was worn down to fabric on the side... odd for 72K. 3 inch tear in the headliner with multiple scratches. Rear door interior plastic very scratched. Interior was kind of "beat on", like they were hauling cinder blocks, lumber and chicken wire. Tires ok, not great. Lunbar worked (yippee). Exterior paint was very good. Interior [plastic compartment covers were hanging, dirty, etc. Overall, looks great from 30 feet away. It was starting to rain and, frankly, my enthusiasm for the vehicle wained so I departed. argh. Will continue to look. Climbed into my Sequoia and it seemed like an upgrade. argh again.
Old 05-07-16, 07:28 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me months to find one. I would go look at the private party one. Don't bring any money.
Old 05-08-16, 06:51 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont be afraid of higher miles. If well maintained, it will cost you less than having to bring a low mileage one one up to snuff
Old 05-09-16, 07:46 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Torn headliner? That's a $1300 part, and the labor to replace it will be huge.

Chip H.
Old 05-09-16, 09:12 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad deal

Even My 08 is worth less then 21K.

If the dealer got it from Dealer Auction (Usually MaNh), he probably paid around 13K which is MMR(auction price average with those miles) but the condition which you are describing is usually CR: 1.5 (Bad Interior plus scratches and tires are so so) my guess is car is not worth more than 12K then you add tax, tag and title etc. And if he got that car as a Trade In than he difinitely bought it less than 10K.

In my opinion Back Off . I know its frustrating when you can't find the right one and Cash is in the pocket . Just be patient some better GX will come up.

Good Luck.
Old 05-09-16, 02:49 PM
altos
Driver School Candidate

sheikhmax, you are (of course) correct. One will show up.

What is particularly interesting is that there are a number of GX's for sale with between 95K and 125K. And... when asked about timing belts, air suspension, radiators, brakes, tires... most folks/sales weenies play dumb. "Don't know for sure". "Maybe". "Dealer serviced it". "it runs great". On my Sequoia, most competent mechanics will put a sticker on the the belt cover with the mileage on a belt change. Seems.... as though... around 100K folks start thinking about unloading instead of just doing what is necessary. Regardless, I have (more or less) resigned myself the the fact that I will need to spend about $3K on almost...almost any one I find. Timing belt for $900, tires for $875, tuneup for... $200 (spark plug change), brakes for $300, all new fluids and lube for $150. Throw in a potential $800 for an air conversion kit (maybe). That's ok if....IF... it nets a reliable vehicle. It's just unfortunate that a number of GX's I have seen have been flogged or beaten. Unfortunate. I am still pondering how one of them I saw, 72k, had a drivers seat completed worn down to the backing fabric. Ok, if it was a UPS vehicle I can see it. Haven't seen many brown GX's rolling around, though...
Old 05-09-16, 03:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its all about condition and maintenance. My GX just hit 250k, and the seats have no rips, the original dash has no cracks, everything works, the shocks were replaced, rear air bags replaced once, and a radiator or 2 can't remember, but on the inside it looks better than many 100k GX's I looked at, but because people have no idea about how long these cars really last I practically got it for less than a 4th gen 4runner.

I did replace the transfer case due to the previuous owner never getting it fixed, the service history said she tried to top it off every 15k miles... that didn't last long and it failed, so I replaced it and the car drives like new again. So I always get under GX's and look for an oil spot or residue under the transfer case. this is one people think they can skip cause the dealer will tell them its like $6k for a new transfer case vs replacing a $5 o-ring, so they put it off or sell the car.

you would be smart to resign those costs cause even if you don't have to do them that will be a bonus, but if you do have to you wont be surprised and you had a chance to negotiate that in. alot of people with the luxury lexus's just take it in for service, probably like 60% of lexus customers don't know that the 90k service is when the timing belt is done, they just know the 90k service costs more than the others.

the icing on the cake is, as a person who has bought and sold so many cars I couldn't count them for you, is that if they play "dumb" then you play "worried" and you say that it will need it then since they do not know, and factor it into your offer, go home and enter the vin on the lexus owners website (I usually click a picture of the vin when I look at the car), print off the service history, and then smile at the fact that you just got a discount and you found out the timing belt was done on the service history. Both of My Gx's had the services done and the owners just had no idea, one even told me that the car had a timing chain and didn't need it, and guess what was on the service records.... you got it, timing belt job done 20k ago.

this is the website, you can even enter a car that is not yours temporarily to see the service history. and it crosses with toyota, so if you take your lexus to toyota it still shows up here.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Those prices are terrible, keep your eye on the private party deals and wait for a clean one to come up.
The same people who don't know about the service usually just take it in to lexus or toyota, and they record all the service anyways. most people who are original owners don't skip the timing belt on these cars, but it does happen from time to time.. and if they refuse a scheduled maintenance it will be on the record also.

Brown GX.. haven't seen too many of those either, I have the sandstone beige and the silver one. I myself am a big fan of the blue and the grey ones, even kind of like the pearl white. there are lots of good ones out there, and don't take that much cash to see a car, that guy is being stupid. anyone with common sense will understand if you come back the next day with a cashiers check and leave a deposit, if not they are not worth your time dealing with them. if it was a 5k car.. that would be a different story.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-09-16 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 11:20 PM
micah360
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be scared off by the private party guy being a **** on the phone... it probably is in perfect shape and he probably has a bunch of tirekickers at his door already and he's just getting jaded on it.

Just go check it out... it can't hurt. He's not going to ask to see your cash first. Plus, it's probably the creampuff you're looking for.
Old 05-10-16, 04:09 PM
altos
Driver School Candidate

Ok, here is a potential "unique" reply by a private seller. I ran through my list of known problem areas and asked if there was any leaking in the differential actuator. He said that his 2004 GX470 doesn't have a locking differential and that it is quite rare (according to his Lexus service advisor). Did I call it the wrong thing... or did my ears flap over or is there something here I am missing? I thought they all had a locking center diff but maybe I am flat wrong (again). thanks !!
Old 05-10-16, 04:33 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by altos
Ok, here is a potential "unique" reply by a private seller. I ran through my list of known problem areas and asked if there was any leaking in the differential actuator. He said that his 2004 GX470 doesn't have a locking differential and that it is quite rare (according to his Lexus service advisor). Did I call it the wrong thing... or did my ears flap over or is there something here I am missing? I thought they all had a locking center diff but maybe I am flat wrong (again). thanks !!
Just go look at it. Don't expect a Lexus owner to know anything about his GX.
Old 05-10-16, 06:38 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by altos
He was thinking axle differential. As far as I know, no Gx came with a locking axle differential, but all of them came with a locking t-case center diff. The button is on the center console.
Old 05-11-16, 06:54 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Standard

Look for this which is standard. LOL
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-16, 09:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Just go look at it. Don't expect a Lexus owner to know anything about his GX.
I second this
Old 05-11-16, 11:31 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I second this

I agree with this too. Unless it's an LX450/Land Cruiser owners. They tend to know what they have and how much over book it's actually worth lol. (1 owner vehicles might I add)

If you were closer I'd would probably sell off mine.