GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

OEM Suspension (swap?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 05:40 PM
norths03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Suspension (swap?)

I'm considering upgrading the stock suspension on the GX I just bought. The stock system has 138k and everything still works perfectly (airbags, ride height sensors, compressor, magnetically adjustable shocks) and the shocks feel good, not worn out yet. It was a Florida 1 owner without a scratch so I'm betting the only dirt it has seen was me testing it out the other day.

I'm wondering if there is anyone interested in swapping back to stock or if there is a market for a full working stock suspension or if parting it out might make sense. If anyone has any insight or interest please feel free to let me know.

Last edited by norths03; 04-27-16 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-28-16, 03:10 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by norths03
I'm considering upgrading the stock suspension on the GX I just bought. The stock system has 138k and everything still works perfectly (airbags, ride height sensors, compressor, magnetically adjustable shocks) and the shocks feel good, not worn out yet. It was a Florida 1 owner without a scratch so I'm betting the only dirt it has seen was me testing it out the other day.

I'm wondering if there is anyone interested in swapping back to stock or if there is a market for a full working stock suspension or if parting it out might make sense. If anyone has any insight or interest please feel free to let me know.
If it's all in good shape, have you considered just modifying the oem suspension? On my truck I'm still running the factory shocks front and rear. For the front I replaced the springs with old man emu 4 runner springs along with a 1/2" spacer on top of the shock. For the rear I machined a spacer for underneath the airbags. I was able to maintain all the function and benefits of the factory suspension and achieve the look and ground clearance I was after. I'm currently running a 285/70/17 tire.

Old 04-28-16, 03:43 PM
norths03
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. That setup looks good. What was the total lift front and rear? Any rubbing/trimming? I don't want to have to buy UCA's yet so I'm thinking 2" or so would be about right.

Also, the spacer for the rear, was it to raise the sensors or was it something different?
Old 04-28-16, 05:13 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by norths03
Thanks for the reply. That setup looks good. What was the total lift front and rear? Any rubbing/trimming? I don't want to have to buy UCA's yet so I'm thinking 2" or so would be about right.

Also, the spacer for the rear, was it to raise the sensors or was it something different?
Total lift was a little over 3". I have minor rubbing in reverse at full lock. The rub is on the plastic inner fender not the control arm. I needed to trim the ends of my running boards and massage the plastic in the front of the wheel wells. Certainly nothing major.

There are members on the site that have had success with "tricking" the airbags. I tried this but found the over inflated bags to be too harsh of a ride. Instead I machined a spacer that sits under the airbag. The spacer was made from steel. I believe it was 2.5" thick it has a dowel in one end and a hole in the other to locate it. It was also tack welded in place for additional piece of mind. It has proven to be a great setup. I've driven it lifted for 2 years now with zero issues.
Old 04-28-16, 08:20 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rz500, I love your setup. I don't know why everyone wants to ditch the airbags and stock shocks on the GX, I guess no one else uses it. I love lowering the suspension to load/unload and hook up to my trailer. It makes it so easy. I also love the adjustability of the stock shocks especially when I am towing the trailer.
Old 04-29-16, 03:05 PM
cam2
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension

I did a ICON stage 2 suspension lift front and rear 2 1/2 total lift, keeping stock 265 65 17 size ,.... tires are Michelin AT 2. Handles excellent ,ride is not too firm, only thing is more road noise due to lift height,, My factory set up was getting worn out. I researched extensively before Doing any thing to the GX suspension!!! I determined ICON was best for my GX and my daily driving and 4x4 needs. If your gonna do a suspension, research throughly before doing any modifications and get a set up to meet your needs.....
Old 05-04-16, 09:02 AM
doubleu8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rz500
There are members on the site that have had success with "tricking" the airbags. I tried this but found the over inflated bags to be too harsh of a ride. Instead I machined a spacer that sits under the airbag. The spacer was made from steel. I believe it was 2.5" thick it has a dowel in one end and a hole in the other to locate it. It was also tack welded in place for additional piece of mind. It has proven to be a great setup. I've driven it lifted for 2 years now with zero issues.
Would you be able to duplicate the spacer you machined?
I'd be a buyer. I'm doing a minor front lift 1.5-2" to accomodate a 275/70 tire.
Old 06-03-16, 03:31 PM
norths03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rz500
I would also be interested in more details of the spacers for the rear. That or full swap are my two choices at this point.