GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

1st gen QX56...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 04:58 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1st gen QX56...thoughts?

Anyone here have / had a 1st gen QX56. I've been toying around with the idea of selling my GX because we really need something with more room for the 2nd and 3rd row (mainly 2nd row). My son is 3 so he'll be in a forward facing car seat for a few more years and now that he's getting taller it's very uncomfortable for him to sit behind me. I'm 6'1" so I need the room and with my seat back his legs are smooshed against the seat. Also when an adult is in the 2nd row behind the front passenger seat their knees are almost touching the front seat.

I've been looking at SUVs with 3rd rows but they're aren't alot out there that are larger than our GX. There's the LX, QX56, maybe Escalade / Tahoe / Suburban. I'm not fond of GMs so that leaves the LX / Infiniti. We're going to be selling our house this Summer and buying a larger house so I don't want to get any loan so I need to find something under $20,000.

My wifes dealer got in a very clean '09 QX56. 1 owner (older lady), 40,xxx miles, clean carfax and it has EVERY Infiniti dealer maintenance record since it was purchased 1/25/09. Nothing major done other than oil changes, brakes, rotors / pads, diff fluids, air / cabin filters changed. I tried doing some quick searches for that year QX and didn't really find any problems. One issue was the transmission sometimes struggles to find the correct gear but that was on earlier 1st gens, the '08-'10 seem to be bulletproof.

Anyone here have a later 1st gen QX? If so how do you like it?
Old 03-09-16, 05:54 PM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear from you. It's been a while.

I've been a little leery of Nissan ever since my 1991 240SX. It was a great car, but nickel and dimed me after 4-5 years. Probably not relevant here, but I don't think Nissan has the reputation of Toyota or Honda.

I'm not a huge fan of the read passenger door handles being so high up. Seems like they'd be out of reach for my kids.

I agree about needing more space. I'm holding out for a LC.
Old 03-09-16, 07:35 PM
GXallday
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin has the same first gen QX56. It's a 2008 with around 70K miles. I drove it a few times, first thing I noticed compared to my GX which is 2003 with 112K miles. The QX rattles and squeeks a lot. It's very plasticky, feels way cheaper, etc. Honestly, not much different than the Nissan Armada, I expected Infiniti to at least make it more isolated and quieter. It doesn't feel luxury. That's my impression. Yeah it's more spacious, but not at the same level as Lexus. I test drove a few 2008+ Sequoia Platinums, which is top of the line, and they're quieter and more solid than the QX's. Just my opinion.
Old 03-09-16, 08:18 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy has one. He said it's not as good of quality his Tundra.
Old 03-10-16, 03:08 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

As an Infiniti tech, I'd advise you to stay away from the first gen. Most of our product line is extremely reliable and problem free, but the first gen QX56 is not one of them. They have rear air suspension issues (shocker), instrument panel issues, exhaust manifold issues, and as previously mentioned have a ton of squeaks and rattles among other things. Build quality is nowhere near as nice as a Lexus, but rivals it on the 2nd gen. Mechanically they're pretty bullet proof. I know you're fairly handy with stuff so I'm sure you can tackle most issues you come across. If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM. If you're set on it, make sure the exhaust doesn't leak from the manifolds at startup, make sure the front pinion seal isn't leaking, and make sure the power steering pressure line isn't leaking. Also switch the air vents around to all the positions and make sure the blend doors aren't hammering away. Also make sure the AC works, the rear AC lines are known for rubbing through their brackets and leaking. If it needs rear AC lines you'll either have to patch the line or lift the body off the truck to replace them. Make sure all the guages work on the instrument panel.

The second gen's have MUCH better build quality, but are probably out of the range you're looking to spend. Me personally, I'd never buy a first gen, no matter the mileage. I'd consider a second gen though if if it was certified.

Last edited by BlackCat81; 03-10-16 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 09:28 AM
TyneeGX
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ohh, the new Volvo XC90. good 2nd row room.
Best 2nd row room for mid size is Acura MDX (we own a new one), or infiniti QX60, but those CVT's are trash. Same with the pathfinder.
Old 03-10-16, 09:40 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TyneeGX
ohh, the new Volvo XC90. good 2nd row room.
Best 2nd row room for mid size is Acura MDX (we own a new one), or infiniti QX60, but those CVT's are trash. Same with the pathfinder.
Haha, the QX60 is the only other Infiniti I'd tell him to stay away from.
Old 03-10-16, 10:05 AM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100 series land cruiser. Find the newest and lowest mileage one you can afford that has been maintained. If you don't want to pay the premium for one of those I'd go with a Seqouia. Good luck!
Old 03-10-16, 01:36 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatAdams
100 series land cruiser. Find the newest and lowest mileage one you can afford that has been maintained. If you don't want to pay the premium for one of those I'd go with a Seqouia. Good luck!
+1
Both LC and Sequoia are solid vehicles and they look great too. Although 100 series LC may not be as spacious as what you are looking for.
Old 03-11-16, 10:20 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
As an Infiniti tech, I'd advise you to stay away from the first gen. Most of our product line is extremely reliable and problem free, but the first gen QX56 is not one of them. They have rear air suspension issues (shocker), instrument panel issues, exhaust manifold issues, and as previously mentioned have a ton of squeaks and rattles among other things. Build quality is nowhere near as nice as a Lexus, but rivals it on the 2nd gen. Mechanically they're pretty bullet proof. I know you're fairly handy with stuff so I'm sure you can tackle most issues you come across. If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM. If you're set on it, make sure the exhaust doesn't leak from the manifolds at startup, make sure the front pinion seal isn't leaking, and make sure the power steering pressure line isn't leaking. Also switch the air vents around to all the positions and make sure the blend doors aren't hammering away. Also make sure the AC works, the rear AC lines are known for rubbing through their brackets and leaking. If it needs rear AC lines you'll either have to patch the line or lift the body off the truck to replace them. Make sure all the guages work on the instrument panel.

The second gen's have MUCH better build quality, but are probably out of the range you're looking to spend. Me personally, I'd never buy a first gen, no matter the mileage. I'd consider a second gen though if if it was certified.

Bam HIT THE NAIL on the head!!

Coming from a Nissan Fixed Ops guy!
Old 03-11-16, 09:48 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've personally extinguished two instrument panel fires (which turned into a significant passenger compartment fire) on first gen QX56 / Armadas. I believe there were some noted electrical issues plaguing the first gens. I never rode in one or really had much experience with them other than above.

I've been a Toyota guy all my life and also a previous 100 series owner. You just can't go wrong with the quality and smooth ride of a 100 series. The GM and Ford products are larger and may get about 1mpg better than the Toyota, but the overall quality of the 100 is much much better.
Old 03-12-16, 04:19 PM
matmanx1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

100 Series LC would definitely get my vote. I've only been on one short test drive but it was pretty fantastic. Enough for me to recommend one to anyone who has the means, that's for sure.
Old 03-13-16, 08:56 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I think the later ones (2011/2012) also had another major issue with the timing chain tensioner that can require a new engine.

On another forum I was reading where a guy having to raise a lot of hell and finally got Infiniti to basically buy it back.

I had an Infiniti in the past and really liked it, but I feel like the whole brand really went downhill after the early 2000s.
Old 03-13-16, 02:28 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
I think the later ones (2011/2012) also had another major issue with the timing chain tensioner that can require a new engine.

On another forum I was reading where a guy having to raise a lot of hell and finally got Infiniti to basically buy it back.

I had an Infiniti in the past and really liked it, but I feel like the whole brand really went downhill after the early 2000s.
The brand has improved DRASTICALLY since the early 2000's. It's a night and day difference at how much better the build quality is since the early 2000's. My daily driver is a 2006 M35X with 208k. It's only repair has been a steering rack. Yes, the 2nd gen 5.6 motor is known for timing chain issues. I've never done a set of chains that wasn't warrantied though.
Old 03-13-16, 04:39 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
The brand has improved DRASTICALLY since the early 2000's. It's a night and day difference at how much better the build quality is since the early 2000's. My daily driver is a 2006 M35X with 208k. It's only repair has been a steering rack. Yes, the 2nd gen 5.6 motor is known for timing chain issues. I've never done a set of chains that wasn't warrantied though.
It depends on how you want to look at it, I think the brand had a line of luxury cars that were more competitive with Lexus and Acura through the 90's, and then in the 2000s, they went really cheap. It's amazing how junky their luxury cars were.

From about 2010 and later, they got better only after hitting rock bottom. I still think they are behind the other luxury brands.

And the "parts bin" where Infinitis come from (Nissan) is nowhere near the quality of Toyota and Honda, they are basically the Dodge of the Japanese brands. Compare an Altima to an Accord or Camry. Nissan has decided to be a subprime automaker for people who have a hard time getting financing.

Lexus is head and shoulders above Infiniti as a luxury brand. And I was an Infiniti fan before I was a Lexus fan.

Quick Reply: 1st gen QX56...thoughts?