GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Howto: Replace the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 09:09 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts
Default Howto: Replace the headlights

I just replaced the headlights on my 2004 GX470 with new OEM ones. Here's how I did it.

For the curious, I bought them from a Lexus dealer online and got a good discount (they're not a sponsor here, so I won't name them or post a link). The Chinese-made ones are cheaper still (like, another third off) but I didn't want to deal with any quality issues (there have been reports that they leak).

It took me about half a day because I'd never done it before, and included stops to take pictures, pet the cat, etc.

If someone should want my old ones (maybe they're in better shape than yours), I'm keeping them for a week and they're yours for the cost of shipping. Note that the clips on the back of them are broken - one by me (oops) and one by the previous owner. But they'll still stay in - I believe those clips are there to help the assembly-line workers (one person clips them in and attaches the wires, the next one screws the bolts in)

Chip H.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Replacing GX470 Headlights.pdf (1.73 MB, 1583 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by chiph9:
GON2 (05-03-23), levinsoy (06-02-18)
Old 02-28-16, 09:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
I just replaced the headlights on my 2004 GX470 with new OEM ones. Here's how I did it.

For the curious, I bought them from a Lexus dealer online and got a good discount (they're not a sponsor here, so I won't name them or post a link). The Chinese-made ones are cheaper still (like, another third off) but I didn't want to deal with any quality issues (there have been reports that they leak).

It took me about half a day because I'd never done it before, and included stops to take pictures, pet the cat, etc.

If someone should want my old ones (maybe they're in better shape than yours), I'm keeping them for a week and they're yours for the cost of shipping. Note that the clips on the back of them are broken - one by me (oops) and one by the previous owner. But they'll still stay in - I believe those clips are there to help the assembly-line workers (one person clips them in and attaches the wires, the next one screws the bolts in)

Chip H.

Great write up should be a sticky
Old 02-28-16, 04:08 PM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

The new one looks amazing! So pretty.
Old 02-28-16, 06:32 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

If you've got an older vehicle, this is one way to get it looking new(-er) again.

Chip H.
Old 02-29-16, 08:59 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9

Chip H.
Nice write up!! You should replace the bulbs with a HID kit--you will be blown away by the light output
Old 02-29-16, 09:18 AM
roemer7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!

I've noticed that the Sport headlamp is about $100 cheaper than the non-Sport headlight. Anyone know why?
Old 02-29-16, 10:52 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

I noticed that too - but I didn't order them because I didn't want the darker color.

No idea. But a guess would be that many more non-sports were sold, so there's more of them that get wrecked, or just want replacing, so demand is higher.

Chip H.
Old 03-01-16, 09:48 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Wow, those old ones were pretty rough looking, I'm sure that knocks years off the appearance of your truck!

X2 on the HID conversion for the low beams, probably my favorite mod on this truck besides the tires/wheels.

Great DIY writeup!
Old 03-01-16, 10:27 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

It does make the GX look years younger! (better than Botox!)

The thing I've noticed is that the headlights now have a sharp cut-off again. Before, the headlights were throwing light all over the place because the micro-cracks in them reflected the light randomly.

Chip H.
Old 09-27-18, 07:24 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Headlight Assembly

To Chiph9 -- Thanks for your quick reply. I have just printed your attached file. It appears to be "spot-on" ... exactly what I need.
Winter is coming early to north-central Wyoming. Will have to wait for a warmer day -- hopefully next week -- to do the R&R.
Kind Regards, orion7mm in WYO
Old 03-02-21, 03:14 PM
av8trmech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will the sport package ones fit one that is not sport package?
Old 03-02-21, 03:56 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by av8trmech
will the sport package ones fit one that is not sport package?
Yes, they are physically the same, only visually different.
The following users liked this post:
av8trmech (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 06:12 PM
av8trmech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

Thanks I appreciate the quick response. I’m another note I am looking to replace the radio with one of those Tesla styles, any recommendations
Old 03-02-21, 06:13 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

There are several posts here about the "tesla" style headunits - just do a quick search.

Chip H.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiph9:
av8trmech (03-03-21), IanB2 (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 08:57 AM
Jpilot
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The H9 bulb trick is popular too, makes the lights way brighter at a cost of about $14. I have done a re-do of my headlights (turtlewax kit from your local auto parts place) and then cleaned them well with aviation plastic canopy cleaner/protection and it has worked great. Highly recommend.

The following users liked this post:
offroad200 (03-04-21)

Quick Reply: Howto: Replace the headlights