GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 GX470 Sitting

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 04:32 PM
justweav5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 GX470 Sitting

Hi,

I am looking at an 05 GX that has the color combo and the no nav that we are looking for. The only thing that has me questioning it is that it has been sitting on the lot for more than 200 days, i think that non nav is a deal breaker for most. Before I pulled the trigger I thought I would pose the question here with the wealth of knowledge that is here, I have been lerking for the past couple of months. Also, is there anything else I should be looking for. It has been taken to a Lexus dealership for all of its normal services and has the 90k service done. Thank you for much for any insight that you can give.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 02-28-16, 07:42 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Sitting for 200 days is not great for vehicles. I would ask for new tires, new battery, and all new fluids.

Chip H.
Old 02-29-16, 04:02 AM
justweav5
Driver School Candidate

Chip, Thank you for much for the insight. I was thinking along those lines and just wanted to make sure that it wasn't unreasonable to ask for these things. Thank you!
Old 02-29-16, 06:55 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I think it is unreasonable to expect to get those things, but a great bargaining tool to get some money knocked off the asking price to ask for them. 200 days is just over 6 months, it's not an unusually long time for a car to sit on a used lot IMO. We aren't talking years here. Anyone who stores a car for the winter puts it away for this period of time, and they don't require new tires, battery, and fluids every year.

Any used car purchaser should look at doing these things as part of their baseline maintenance anyways.

If the truck is what you're looking for, and has been dealer serviced with records, I say go for it.
Old 02-29-16, 12:01 PM
justweav5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
I think it is unreasonable to expect to get those things, but a great bargaining tool to get some money knocked off the asking price to ask for them. 200 days is just over 6 months, it's not an unusually long time for a car to sit on a used lot IMO. We aren't talking years here. Anyone who stores a car for the winter puts it away for this period of time, and they don't require new tires, battery, and fluids every year.

Any used car purchaser should look at doing these things as part of their baseline maintenance anyways.

If the truck is what you're looking for, and has been dealer serviced with records, I say go for it.
Thank you for the info. Completely agree, just trying to gauge how much I should try and bring the price down by. Thank you for your help! Anything else I should be concerned about when I check it out this weekend? The GX is about 2 hours away from my house and just want to make sure I have my bases covered. Thanks!
Old 02-29-16, 03:35 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hammer them hard on price because its been sitting and it has no nav. Personally neither of those would bother me as I use my IPhone for nav anyways and am upgrading to a better head unit.

If I remember correctly dealers get taxed on vehicles if they dont sell after a certain period of time (90 days?) so they probably want it gone.

Whatever you do dont let them know you are 2 hours away and came there just to look at it.
Old 02-29-16, 05:45 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's been on the lot that long and they haven't auctioned it yet, their asking price is probably about as low as it's going to go, and is probably already advertised at a loss. It just depends on how much of a loss they're willing to take. I work for a dealership so I'm pretty familiar with how the process works.

For example, I had an ex of mine looking for a cheap little commuter car. She was looking at accords and we had kind of a weird one, it was loaded but had the 4 cylinder, which is not what a lot of people want. We had it for over 4 months, and being at an Infiniti store, we don't normally do well with sub $15k cars, as most people who shop at the store are looking for higher end cars. They ended up selling the to her for a $1,600 loss just to move it. They would've lost over $3k on it more than likely at auction.
Old 03-01-16, 01:17 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
If it's been on the lot that long and they haven't auctioned it yet, their asking price is probably about as low as it's going to go, and is probably already advertised at a loss. It just depends on how much of a loss they're willing to take. I work for a dealership so I'm pretty familiar with how the process works.

For example, I had an ex of mine looking for a cheap little commuter car. She was looking at accords and we had kind of a weird one, it was loaded but had the 4 cylinder, which is not what a lot of people want. We had it for over 4 months, and being at an Infiniti store, we don't normally do well with sub $15k cars, as most people who shop at the store are looking for higher end cars. They ended up selling the to her for a $1,600 loss just to move it. They would've lost over $3k on it more than likely at auction.

Exactly. The dealer doesn't want to take it to auction because he'll probably loose more $ then what he's selling it at currently. GX470's don't do well at auctions.

I'm sure they'll likely make you a deal because it's aged inventory.

I bought mine from the Dealer I work at because it was aged inventory and they didn't want to loose a lot at auction so sat on it a while. Then the few folks that did come to look at it they couldn't get it to start because they were using the non chipped key(spare) that came with it.

I snagged it up with 78k on the clock and a fully loaded 05. Not the color I would've chosen but it was a good deal none the less.
Old 03-01-16, 02:58 PM
justweav5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Justin727
Exactly. The dealer doesn't want to take it to auction because he'll probably loose more $ then what he's selling it at currently. GX470's don't do well at auctions.

I'm sure they'll likely make you a deal because it's aged inventory.

I bought mine from the Dealer I work at because it was aged inventory and they didn't want to loose a lot at auction so sat on it a while. Then the few folks that did come to look at it they couldn't get it to start because they were using the non chipped key(spare) that came with it.

I snagged it up with 78k on the clock and a fully loaded 05. Not the color I would've chosen but it was a good deal none the less.
Well I actually got a VM from them that the owner isn't willing to come of the ad price, not a cent. It has been on the lot for 255 days . No problem here, I will continue the search.

I do appreciate the help though. There is a ton of great knowledge here and I hope to contribute once I grab a GX.
Old 03-01-16, 03:00 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justweav5
Well I actually got a VM from them that the owner isn't willing to come of the ad price, not a cent. It has been on the lot for 255 days . No problem here, I will continue the search.

I do appreciate the help though. There is a ton of great knowledge here and I hope to contribute once I grab a GX.
One of those guys. "Do you know how much I paid for this when it was new?" hahaha
Old 03-01-16, 03:03 PM
justweav5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 180ls1
One of those guys. "Do you know how much I paid for this when it was new?" hahaha
Crazy thing is yes, and he was the owner of the used car lot. I think that he actually owned this car, so he thinks it is a snowflake. I had a feeling he would be this way the first time I talked to him...