GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buy '03 LX470 or '08 GX470 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 09:11 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy '03 LX470 or '08 GX470 ?

I'm considering an SUV for my needs & am bit confused. I've identified '03 LX470 & '08 GX470 -

GX is expensive by $1500
GX has slightly (8%) lesser mileage
GX has marginally better maintenance history (but both are very good)

Important factors: Minimum maintenance & operating cost, safety, ride comfort, longevity, features.
Driving habit: 60/40 City/Hwy.
3rd row seat is nice to have, but not a deal breaker.
4 Adults with occasional visit from mom for a few weeks.
I hardly do any off-roading but ride comfort is key.

Has anyone driven both & can tell advantages of one over other. What would you advice & why? Known issues to look for?

I understand, best would be to test drive both & perform a pre-purchase inspection with Lexus Service. However, due to my schedule it will take me a few days before I'll get around it.

Thanks!

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 02-25-16 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 11:09 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in this as well, I'm kind of in the same boat looking for a GX470 but considering an LX.
Old 02-26-16, 06:16 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go drive them. What I think or others think about the GX vs the LX is NOT relevant. What matter is what you prefer. The LX is more comfortable IMHO then the GX. Mostly because its just bigger. That pretty much summarizes the difference in ride. LX is Bigger, GX is smaller. Bigger wheelbase is smoother for the most part. But your comparing cars with a 5 year difference in age. Worn shocks, springs, airbags will all make a huge difference from one car to the next.
Old 02-26-16, 07:44 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

For me its a wash regarding mileage and MPG. They both are not going to get great MPG's so I wouldnt even factor that into the decison.

5 year newer vehicle should theoretically have less worn suspension components etc. VVTI vs non VVTI engine.

More power in the 08, but I belive the 08 requires premium? Not sure on that.

Back up cam should be standard in the 08... It will be plenty comfy and should be a rock solid reliable vehicle.

The LX is larger, and is nice. BUT... Has the timing belt been changed? Probably a little more comfortable, but with that 5 year age difference, my guess would be that most of the rubber bearings and joints have seen their best days years ago and could do with replacing.

Things I would also look at. Have the rotors and Calipers been replaced at any point? For the front, you are looking at $90 per caliper and pads and rotors at minimum $100 per wheel. So $400 ish if you do it by yourself just for the front.

The little things will add up and if some of those little things have already been taken care of the difference in price will usually justify the added expense. I think a timing belt job is in the neighborhood of $800 or so.

Tires: What condition are they in, and are they the kind of tires you like or want? A set of Grabber AT/2s can run you over $600 before mounting and balancing, so if one truck has really worn or dry rotted tires, expect that to be factored in.

Air suspension. One day it will fail. It just will. Has it been replaced or serviced before? How long ago? Are you OK with going to a strut setup in the rear or will you replace it if it goes? Its pricey to replace that.

In your driving impressions, make sure you test out the center diff lock and check to make sure you can easily engage and the T-Case lever in and out. Mine shifts in and out like butter from Park and Neutral.

Sunroof: Make sure that thing opens and closes easily and does not grind or have play in it. Leaks can and will present themselves.

Those are just some other things to consider.
Old 02-26-16, 08:52 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

My brother-in-law has two LX470s. The older one is now his "weekend take the dog to the park" vehicle, while the newer one is his daily driver.

Compared with my GX, his older LX:

1. The longer wheelbase gives a more comfortable ride.
2. The longer length means it's more challenging to park.
3. The only major repair he's had to make (other than timing belt & other scheduled maintenance) is the brake booster, for $2200. Not counting anything under $500.
4. He has 280k miles on it so far.
5. He never had the glass tinted, and the sun destroyed the leather.
6. The two-piece tailgate is far superior for loading stuff than the GX's barn door.

Chip H.
Old 02-26-16, 09:12 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

What year did the 100 series get the 5 speed auto? If the LX470 still has the 4 speed, that would be a big sticking point IMO.
Old 02-26-16, 12:35 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LX is bigger and heavier which will provide more space and a better ride. I still chose the GX for the looks, better performance, mpg and size. They also cost less comparably when age and miles are factored in.
Old 02-27-16, 06:40 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
LX is bigger and heavier which will provide more space and a better ride. I still chose the GX for the looks, better performance, mpg and size. They also cost less comparably when age and miles are factored in.
Get the newer one.
Old 02-27-16, 09:26 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In short, I like the 5year newer GX470 versus the LX470. Newer, better tech wins out for me. However, I totally understand wanting the LX.

< > < > < > < >

IMHO, the exterior of the LX470 is a timeless design. Classic elegance. I'd love to have one; too bad the acquisition price is so high ... seemingly regardless of age and mileage. It's a rig that I've admired for so long that it's almost silly! And I still do.

The interior on the LX470 is another matter. While it's not bad, I think it's growing more and more dated. It lacks many modern amenities offered in the GX470. No dual climate control. Older navi than comparable year GX (forget the 5year newer GX!). LX has a switch / button to move the exterior radio antenna (!!!) higher and lower. Flip down 3rd row set-up was borrowed from the original '60's FJ. Etc, etc, etc. not to mention it's slower and gets worse mpg than the GX, which is saying something.
Old 02-27-16, 09:48 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Thank you all for your suggestions & comments. I test drove the '03 LX y'day.

As someone mentioned earlier, it does feel like driving on clouds. Really cushy ride. Also, quite quiet. (I hated driving back home in my SC430 ) Suspension in soft mode, my jaw almost dropped. What an experience.

However, the vehicle has some issues & here are my observations:
1.) VGRS light on (steering wheel off by 90degrees) - Issue with steering switch, will fix before selling
2.) No backup camera - I thought it was a standard feature for that year
3.) The hood closes due to it's own weight - Will replace shocks before selling
4.) Though, steers smoothly, initial pick-up is sluggish
5.) Could push only upto 85mph, felt under-powered
6.) When stopped even at slow speed, the car gave a big jerk. - The front brakes & calipers were recently replaced. Will replace the rears
7.) Did not notice any foul (mold) smell & the engine area is super clean.
8.) After the test drive, no smell from the engine area
9.) Showed only 10.1 MPG
10.) Maintenance done between Lexus & local (Jiffy Lube types) auto shop per CarFax. Could not find much info after 2012.
11.) Exterior paint in Very Good condition. Interior leather & carpet has some stains & marks.
12.) Sunroof opened smoothly.
13.) Could not figure out how to operate the H-N-L gear system.

@SkeetShoot: What do you mean by "test drive center diff lock and check to make sure you can easily engage and the T-Case lever in and out"?

Is there something to worry about or to be looked at? With 155,000 miles, how much should it be worth?

Will be test driving the GX tonight.
Old 02-27-16, 10:32 AM
djspock303
Driver

I was in this same mind set not that long ago. Here were my final deciding factors.

1. The insurance was less on the GX for me, don't know why.
2. Same Engine, but the GX weighs significantly less
3. The GX fit in our garage

(Also you might little things about the newer GX from the LX, like the aux jack for a phone )
Old 02-27-16, 12:50 PM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Default Bad news

Just got a call from local Lexus dealer performing Pre-Purchase Inspection that the '08 GX has significant amount of rust in the front portion of the car, for that year & age of the vehicle. (Not much in the rear)

I'm little surprised since the SUV was from SC & was always maintained by Lexus & was a single owner. There was no other water related damage & it looked beautiful. Wonder, why there was no mention of it in the Service History. It was transferred from Hendrick Lexus in Charleston after inspection. No wonder, why the local Hendrick dealer discouraged me for an inspection with another Lexus dealer.

Now, I've to start the search all over again.

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 02-27-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-27-16, 12:54 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Cars rust pretty quickly in Charleston because of the salt air (same as with Florida cars). I'm only mildly surprised.

Best of luck in your search.

Chip H.
Old 03-01-16, 12:57 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Between the 2 I would go GX.

I think 03 it still had the NON VVT-I 2uzfe(LX)

Now if it was a 2000 and below LX it could've still had lockers that would be my choice because I do travel off road.

I am currently looking for an LX for myself while the wife still enjoys the GX.
Old 03-02-16, 05:18 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

03+ had the 5-speed transmission.

The GX got many more amenities early on in it's life compared to the LX. Backup camera, aux input, etc.

Some LX470's had a locker option in 1998 and 1999. Most didn't. The Land Cruiser counterpart in those years - most had the rear locker. 1998 and 1999 had a 2-pinion front differential which had a reputation for breaking more easily than the later 4-pinion front differentials in 2000+ trucks. A-TRAC and VSC were added in 2000. All LX470's had automatic height control (hydraulic) at all four corners unlike the GX's rear only air suspension.

Quick Reply: Buy '03 LX470 or '08 GX470 ?