GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Radiators: Koyo-vs-Koyorad-vs-TYC-vs-Denso

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 02:32 PM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiators: Koyo-vs-Koyorad-vs-TYC-vs-Denso

Well I ordered a Koyorad 2690 from carid and it came from rockauto in a box from TYC. IM not so sure about this Koyorad/Koyo thing. I smell something fishy here. Seems to me these radiators are all made my the same company? When I opened the box and looked for the tell tale "saw-cut" on the top of the radiator (Koyorad) that people here have said/complained about-it wasnt there. Instead there was a uniform gap where the top plates meet and it looks very much manufactured, not a rough saw cut like I saw in some posts here. I guess then its a TYC radiator. Seems pretty cheap to me. Im now thinking of returning this thing, one, because they bait and switched the radiator to another brand, two, because this rad looks and feels cheap. I think that the Denso replacement might be a better choice? Anybody here have any opinions??? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-16, 11:57 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ace911
Well I ordered a Koyorad 2690 from carid and it came from rockauto in a box from TYC. IM not so sure about this Koyorad/Koyo thing. I smell something fishy here. Seems to me these radiators are all made my the same company? When I opened the box and looked for the tell tale "saw-cut" on the top of the radiator (Koyorad) that people here have said/complained about-it wasnt there. Instead there was a uniform gap where the top plates meet and it looks very much manufactured, not a rough saw cut like I saw in some posts here. I guess then its a TYC radiator. Seems pretty cheap to me. Im now thinking of returning this thing, one, because they bait and switched the radiator to another brand, two, because this rad looks and feels cheap. I think that the Denso replacement might be a better choice? Anybody here have any opinions??? Thanks in advance!
I have a TYC in mine and I thought it was great quality. It's been just fine for over a year so far.
Old 02-18-16, 08:18 AM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply. After doing a little more research, there doesn't seem to be too many quality choices. (There are quite a few radiators that are alot cheaper than this one.) My gripe was I ordered a Koyorad specifically and got a TYC. Then the phone rep said they were the same, which might be true???? All my work tucks were either Ford and or Chevy HD vehicles, so holding this radiator in my hands....well it felt like it should go into a Go Cart or something....not a V8. But I digress, after looking at the radiator, I guess its as good as the others, it seems pretty well built. (although I have no real, hands on experience to validate that statement) TYC- btw is made in China. The Denso I was going to order is made in Indonesia. Im not sure who has a better product, or manufacturing facility. I cant comment either way on Country of origin vs quality. I wanted something made in Japan, but I guess those days are over too. I have some time to decide, as I still have to order the timing belt kit, which Im going to do at the same time.
Old 02-18-16, 09:31 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

thanks for the reply. After doing a little more research, there doesn't seem to be too many quality choices. (There are quite a few radiators that are alot cheaper than this one.) My gripe was I ordered a Koyorad specifically and got a TYC. Then the phone rep said they were the same, which might be true???? All my work tucks were either Ford and or Chevy HD vehicles, so holding this radiator in my hands....well it felt like it should go into a Go Cart or something....not a V8. But I digress, after looking at the radiator, I guess its as good as the others, it seems pretty well built. (although I have no real, hands on experience to validate that statement) TYC- btw is made in China. The Denso I was going to order is made in Indonesia. Im not sure who has a better product, or manufacturing facility. I cant comment either way on Country of origin vs quality. I wanted something made in Japan, but I guess those days are over too. I have some time to decide, as I still have to order the timing belt kit, which Im going to do at the same time.
FWIW, I'm not easy on my truck. It crawls trails out west in 105 degree heat for 6hrs straight and has never given me a single cooling issue. For your everyday driver, it'll be just fine. Well, mine has been at least I should say.
Old 02-18-16, 02:37 PM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply. Yeah my driving consists of shuttling the kids to soccer games, and weekend warrior stuff. The reason for my concern is, this is going to be my tow vehicle now. I plan on taking this and my ski boat to the river once or twice a year. It gets 110 to 115 on a regular basis during the summer months. I've always had a full size truck to tow with, and this rig will be the lightest duty tow vehicle I have owned. Granted the boat is around 3500-4000lbs loaded, so I should be fine. And the drive is mostly flat land. Its the heat that concerns me, it will test everything on a rig, from the tires on up.
Old 02-20-16, 07:10 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

thanks for the reply. Yeah my driving consists of shuttling the kids to soccer games, and weekend warrior stuff. The reason for my concern is, this is going to be my tow vehicle now. I plan on taking this and my ski boat to the river once or twice a year. It gets 110 to 115 on a regular basis during the summer months. I've always had a full size truck to tow with, and this rig will be the lightest duty tow vehicle I have owned. Granted the boat is around 3500-4000lbs loaded, so I should be fine. And the drive is mostly flat land. Its the heat that concerns me, it will test everything on a rig, from the tires on up.
If you're worried about heat, you can always add a B&M trans cooler. Very easy to do, especially if you're already going to have the radiator out. You can run it in series with the factory cooler as added protection. A B&M 70628 would be perfect.
Old 02-23-16, 12:10 PM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the radiator issue with "Car id"- I ordered the Koyorad and received the TYC radiator 2690. This was a typical "bait an switch" by car id. After receiving the TYC (and some input here from others) I figured might as well keep it. Contacted customer support and asked for a price match-Amazon has it for $118 bucks free shipping.- They charged me $165 total-so after a week of going back and forth- car id refused to price match with the free shipping. Moral of the story folks is: dont buy from car id- Amazon is cheaper by a long shot-same exact radiator. And Amazon has never pulled a "bait and switch" on me. Just my 2 cents......
Old 03-05-16, 10:31 AM
neub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a radiator / coolant leak question - my apologies for resurrecting a dead thread.

I recently replaced a radiator and developed a new leak or perhaps aggravated an existing one. The leak appears to be coming from below the intake manifold at the water inlet side of things..

Does anyone have an assembly drawing that covers inlet, outlet and thermostat assembly?

I am trying to see if the shop (wayyy before I bought the car) failed to install a gasket or perhaps I am staring at a greater issue..
Attached Thumbnails Radiators: Koyo-vs-Koyorad-vs-TYC-vs-Denso-image1-5.jpg   Radiators: Koyo-vs-Koyorad-vs-TYC-vs-Denso-image2-2.jpg