GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Engaging L for DAC

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 02:46 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
6080prado - the GX has a 2nd start option. It's a switch down below the steering wheel.

Chip H.
I couldn't remember, but knew my 80 series had it. I was too lazy to go out to the car and look.
Old 02-17-16, 05:52 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For DAC to work, do you have to be in 4-lo?

Or, does it work it both 4-hi and 4-lo?
Old 02-17-16, 07:10 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
For DAC to work, do you have to be in 4-lo?

Or, does it work it both 4-hi and 4-lo?
From the owners manual (p377):
The downhill assist control system is a system that assists the deceleration of the engine brake when you drive down a steep hill. When you are driving down a hill with the four−wheel drive control lever in the “L” position, push the “DAC” switch to limit the vehicle’s acceleration. If the vehicle is traveling at a speed of 25 km/h (15 mph) or less, you can descend at a constant speed.
The system will not operate if the four−wheel drive control lever is in the “H” position.
Old 02-18-16, 06:09 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So from the manual comments above.

Does the car needs to be in motion with 4L engaged downhill to activate the DAC???

Old 02-18-16, 06:36 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
So from the manual comments above.

Does the car needs to be in motion with 4L engaged downhill to activate the DAC???

From the manual comments above:

"The system will not operate if the four−wheel drive control lever is in the “H” position. "

I don't know why they'd call it the "four-wheel drive control lever" when it's the transfer case gear lever, but whatever.
Old 02-18-16, 04:41 PM
6080prado
Rookie

That's odd. I was using it in 4H and the light came on (as if it was activated). I am almost certain it was limiting acceleration at the time. However, the roads were the worst I have ever seen and I was at crawling speeds down hills, so maybe it was simply normal engine braking. It seems like if you were in 4Lo, you are geared down so much that you wouldn't really need DAC. Or, in the case of slick roads, you typically wouldn't be in 4Lo.

Now I need to check again.
Old 02-18-16, 04:55 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Here is a video about engaging DAC:

The video shows the DAC light goes on even before you put it in 4Lo. But that doesn't mean it is working (which is what I assumed). However, I did see a couple links where people said they felt it working in 4Hi. I'm going to experiment tomorrow and see if there is any difference in 4Hi with it engaged and disengaged. I would certainly find more use in it in 4Hi on slick roads than I would in 4Lo. I'll report back.
Old 02-19-16, 11:27 AM
SkeetShoot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as well on this one... I have not tested out mine yet. I was dumb enough to assume that you just push the button and it will start working. Apparently its more involved.
Old 02-19-16, 11:42 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 6080prado
Here is a video about engaging DAC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_taWdsL2LPk

The video shows the DAC light goes on even before you put it in 4Lo. But that doesn't mean it is working (which is what I assumed). However, I did see a couple links where people said they felt it working in 4Hi. I'm going to experiment tomorrow and see if there is any difference in 4Hi with it engaged and disengaged. I would certainly find more use in it in 4Hi on slick roads than I would in 4Lo. I'll report back.

2 Things:

1.st This Dude is showing the DAC function in a Toyota HighLander which is not a Real 4WD so not sure if that DAC functionality is modified.

2.nd. I find a much closer matching video for 4runner and that DAC operation is noisy
unlike the one for Highlander above

Check this video.

Old 02-19-16, 01:23 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

X2, 1st video is showing DAC in a Highlander, which doesn't even have a low range, so of course it's going to work a bit differently in that application.
Old 02-20-16, 03:59 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

I just tried it in my 2006 GX. The video of the 4runner is what mine sounded like when it was active. Also, the skid control icon flashes the whole time the DAC is actually using the ABS pump to control the vehicle speed. The DAC light stays solid the entire time. This only works when the transfer case lever is in "L" range. When in "H" range, the DAC light just flashes forever, and will not activate.
Old 02-22-16, 07:25 AM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mswtoyota
I just tried it in my 2006 GX. The video of the 4runner is what mine sounded like when it was active. Also, the skid control icon flashes the whole time the DAC is actually using the ABS pump to control the vehicle speed. The DAC light stays solid the entire time. This only works when the transfer case lever is in "L" range. When in "H" range, the DAC light just flashes forever, and will not activate.
Can you please write the exact steps of How you were able to get it working? As i am still struggling with it

Thanks.
Old 02-22-16, 09:55 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Can you please write the exact steps of How you were able to get it working? As i am still struggling with it

Thanks.
The chances of needing it and or using it for 99.9% of he owners of this truck are slim to none. It's only use is in off roading, descending rocks or extremely steep grades where extra low gearing is needed for engine braking.
Old 02-22-16, 12:04 PM
sheikhmax
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
The chances of needing it and or using it for 99.9% of he owners of this truck are slim to none. It's only use is in off roading, descending rocks or extremely steep grades where extra low gearing is needed for engine braking.
You are right. No body really uses it but i want to figure it out if its broken and do something to fix it. My thing is you never know when you're going to need it. It might come in handy some time. Apart for lower gear its has to do alot with ABS to control the downward motion and keep the speed in check with out skidding.
Old 02-22-16, 03:40 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Put it in low range, hit the DAC button, it should light up solid on the dash indicating it's active. I haven't tried it in mine, but my understanding is that's all there is to it.

Quick Reply: Engaging L for DAC