GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Re-discovering the GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 05:55 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re-discovering the GX

I bought my GX when I grew tired of looking for the right Landcruiser. As such, I always felt that I settled and that is probably part of the reason I have never taken to the GX. Don't get me wrong, it's fine vehicle with lots to like about it. But I've never really liked it.

For the last couple months I began looking for a 100 series again and also cross shopping Sequoias. But even while doing this, I have still done the usual maintenance on the GX and fixed anything that has come up. Two recent repairs have really improved my GX - to the point that I think I am going to put my car shopping on hiatus for a bit.

First I replaced the height sensors. I'm not sure it needed this, but it had been riding really bad. So I replaced those, and more importantly, adjusted them per the book. I had messed with them in the past experimenting with different ride heights, but never adjusted them to spec. So I'm not sure if it was the new parts or the adjusted ride height, but the ride really improved. No more bottoming out on big bumps.

Next, I replaced the tires. I had been putting this off as mine still had a good 20% left and I figured I would be getting a new vehicle anyway. My GX came with all season Nokians when I bought it. I always thought of Nokian as a snow tire company, and was curious how these all seasons would be. In short - they're terrible. After a couple snows this winter it was clear I couldn't continue with these POS tires. Even though they are "snowflake" rated, they were horrific in the snow. So last week I put on some Michelin LTXs. Holy crap - much quieter and a much more improved ride. I know tires can be a huge difference, but it really showed how bad the Nokians were. I thought I had a wheel bearing going, but it was just those POS tires! I keep the radio 4-5 points lower now just because of the tires.

There are still some things about the GX I dislike: rear door, lack of storage, integrated HVAC, and I still am not impressed with the suspension. But at least now it feels like a nice, quiet SUV with a decent suspension.

No big point to this post other than sharing my experience. (That, and warning people to avoid Nokian all season tires!)
Old 02-15-16, 07:36 AM
ace911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear the ride height sensors worked. Im waiting for my GX to start leaking an air bag or for the compressor to go out. Not that I want to spend the money. But the consensus seems to be replacing the bags and oem suspension with Icons or Toyotech's will improve the ride. I just dont want to start replacing all the factory gadgets and sensors that make the adj suspension work.
The Icons with resi are pretty pricey.I think I might need to start a slush fund.