GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What are my options for front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 06:26 AM
browntown3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my options for front shocks

Hi guys I have a 2007 think I'm in need of new front shocks as my bump stops are only about 1 inch from hitting while just parked. Front end is noticeably lower than the rear. I would like to keep the factory ride control settings so is Lexus brand my only option or is their any aftermarket shocks that would work my rear height control works just fine it's really just my front shocks that are worn out I think causing it to sit so low in front. Just wondered if any of you guys have found some other options to use
Old 02-12-16, 03:14 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shocks do not create the height. the spring holds it up. Measure from the center of the wheel to the fender and compare that to another car.
Old 02-14-16, 06:34 PM
6080prado
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After having spent over $1000 to replace the factory shocks with OEM, I can tell you I would never do it again. If you want the ride control settings, that is your only option. But I think you can get the same ride quality at a fraction of the cost. You can likely get superior ride quality for the same price or less with a high end shock like Icon or similar.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably just get 4Runner or FJ shocks or perhaps Bilsteins and pocket the $900 difference.
Old 02-16-16, 07:27 PM
NR04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As co4wheel mentioned, ride height is determined by spring not shocks. So if your front is lower than standard, your front springs have sagged. The rear ride height control has nothing to do with shocks. You can replace shocks (hence losing the shock comfort level) but still have the height control.

Agree with 6080prado.... OEM shocks are way over priced IMHO. You can get quality shocks for fraction of the cost.
Old 02-16-16, 10:11 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

OEM uses a cheap version of Tokico shocks. You might as well get them yourself and get a good shop to put them on.
Old 02-17-16, 05:16 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by browntown3
Hi guys I have a 2007 think I'm in need of new front shocks as my bump stops are only about 1 inch from hitting while just parked. Front end is noticeably lower than the rear. I would like to keep the factory ride control settings so is Lexus brand my only option or is their any aftermarket shocks that would work my rear height control works just fine it's really just my front shocks that are worn out I think causing it to sit so low in front. Just wondered if any of you guys have found some other options to use
Looking at the bump stop is not a good gauge of ride height.. It always looks close to the control arm.
Old 02-17-16, 09:45 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

which shock would be comparable to OEM quality, if not better?
Old 02-18-16, 02:17 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maxx430
which shock would be comparable to OEM quality, if not better?
Tokico blue shocks. Koni yellow shocks adjustable damper valve on top.
Old 02-18-16, 08:55 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by isfdude
Tokico blue shocks. Koni yellow shocks adjustable damper valve on top.
Kong makes shocks for the GX? Got part numbers? I love Koni's Way more then Bilstien and the others for a Daily Driver. I would get those in a heartbeat.
Old 02-18-16, 12:17 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

I know they used too, it's been a few years since I've checked
Old 02-20-16, 06:54 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any thoughts on these? Looking for a stock ride for my wife's gx http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...ner-FJ-Cruiser
Old 02-20-16, 07:31 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

KYB GR2's are a very inexpensive shock. They are meant to mimic stock.

Last edited by co4wheel; 02-20-16 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-20-16, 08:09 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Well I guess that's what she is looking for. Is there anything "Plusher" than that?
Old 02-20-16, 08:23 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Have you looked at these.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...d7_pid141.html

You will find some complain that the "may be" the same as Bilstein. BUT it says right on front page that they are custom valved. Bilstein does custom valving all the time. Nothing new there. But Arnott won't say what it is. That is not a surprise either. They are more expensive. But Bilstein is high quality. Much better then KYB and and Gabriel.

GR2 is not known for refinement is perhaps the best way to say it. it's meant to be a inexpensive alternative to oem. The Bilstein is very good quality. But it's meant to be a High Performance factory replacement. Not designed for ultimate comfort. I had Bilstein on my old Tundra. I thought they road better on the TRD then the Non-TRD with out Bilstein. When I replaced them I replaced them with the HD version. I still felt the ride on that 2006 Tundra was just fine with the HD version. It's was to me a very comfortable truck. I used to build High Performance Setups for Nissan Street Cars. I used Koni's exclusively. They road better then the GR2 or KYB AGX's and the spring rate was twice as stiff as stock. Valving is important and a shock does not have to be stiff to be effective. To me the choice for a GX boil down to GR2 or Bilstein or Arnott. Arnott might be the best compromise. You can read about people who like the Bilstein and said they were comfortable and then others who said they were harsh. But the entire suspension is the key. If the air bags in the back are not working then all bets are off. Same if the front spring has sagged.

A couple threads just to see some other comments. It's a confusing world. I tend to discount reports a little from people with old worn out suspension that just replaced the shocks and not the rear bags. But that is just me.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/05-gx470-build.840463/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ns-5100-s.html

Last edited by co4wheel; 02-20-16 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-20-16, 08:51 AM
Morphyne
Driver

Originally Posted by co4wheel
Have you looked at these.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...d7_pid141.html

You will find some complain that the "may be" the same as Bilstein. BUT it says right on front page that they are custom valved. Bilstein does custom valving all the time. Nothing new there. But Arnott won't say what it is. That is not a surprise either. They are more expensive. But Bilstein is high quality. Much better then KYB and and Gabriel.

GR2 is not known for refinement is perhaps the best way to say it. it's meant to be a inexpensive alternative to oem. The Bilstein is very good quality. But it's meant to be a High Performance factory replacement. Not designed for ultimate comfort. I had Bilstein on my old Tundra. I thought they road better on the TRD then the Non-TRD with out Bilstein. When I replaced them I replaced them with the HD version. I still felt the ride on that 2006 Tundra was just fine with the HD version. It's was to me a very comfortable truck. I used to build High Performance Setups for Nissan Street Cars. I used Koni's exclusively. They road better then the GR2 or KYB AGX's and the spring rate was twice as stiff as stock. Valving is important and a shock does not have to be stiff to be effective. To me the choice for a GX boil down to GR2 or Bilstein or Arnott. Arnott might be the best compromise. You can read about people who like the Bilstein and said they were comfortable and then others who said they were harsh. But the entire suspension is the key. If the air bags in the back are not working then all bets are off. Same if the front spring has sagged.

A couple threads just to see some other comments. It's a confusing world. I tend to discount reports a little from people with old worn out suspension that just replaced the shocks and not the rear bags. But that is just me.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/05-gx470-build.840463/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ns-5100-s.html
This is awesome thanks. I have the 5100s in my 07 4runner and they are good. They are responsive but they read the road and telegraph it to your butt. Not what my wife is looking for. I need to look at your thread links but if I had to buy right now I would likely go with the Bilstein 4600. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: What are my options for front shocks