GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

1" Lift??? Dont want to give up too much ride quality.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 11:46 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRex
Yes, roughly about 3/4" spacer thickness. Can't honestly say I measured it though.

A one inch lift may be just the thing for your needs, but don't make up your mind quite yet.

I'll shoot a photo tomorrow, and can let you see what 1.5" up front and no lift in the rear looks like. Seeing it might help you know for sure if it's too much.

By the way, I think you're far more likely to notice a loss in ride quality by raising the rear bags than by installing a front spacer.
Yeah if you could post a pic that would be great!

Originally Posted by Morphyne
Did the link to the 1/2" toytec spacer I posted not work?
Isnt that an 1/4" spacer which nets 1/2" of lift? Forgive me if I am off I am new to the world of IFS. My truck and Jeep were both solid axle.

Whatever results in 1" of lift would be ideal IMO because I could still keep the front geometry pretty decent from what I read.
Old 02-12-16, 12:00 PM
Morphyne
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Yeah if you could post a pic that would be great!

Isnt that an 1/4" spacer which nets 1/2" of lift? Forgive me if I am off I am new to the world of IFS. My truck and Jeep were both solid axle.

Whatever results in 1" of lift would be ideal IMO because I could still keep the front geometry pretty decent from what I read.
My bad. the description say 1/2" spacer. but when you dig, its a 1/2" lift spacer. bad description on their part. Would it be bad to just double those up?
Old 02-12-16, 02:47 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Morphyne
My bad. the description say 1/2" spacer. but when you dig, its a 1/2" lift spacer. bad description on their part. Would it be bad to just double those up?
Yeah I was thinking about that. I know they wouldnt fall out but I dont want squeeks and clanks coming from the front either.
Old 02-12-16, 03:11 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, roughly about 3/4" spacer thickness. Can't honestly say I measured it though.

A one inch lift may be just the thing for your needs, but don't make up your mind quite yet.

I'll shoot a photo tomorrow, and can let you see what 1.5" up front and no lift in the rear looks like. Seeing it might help you know for sure if it's too much.

By the way, I think you're far more likely to notice a loss in ride quality by raising the rear bags than by installing a front spacer.
Looking forward to seeing that as well.
Old 02-12-16, 03:58 PM
180ls1
Rookie

^^^^ Wow, that looks really good. Thank you for posting pics. How close is the alignment or how abnormal is the tire wear with that amount of lift?

Thats almost exactly what id be looking for and if it went up .5" in the rear I think that would be ideal.
Old 02-12-16, 04:08 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

1.5" spacer on stock coils in the front, with stock airbag height in the rear. 265/70-17 tires

So that is a spacer above the strut unit. Not a spring spacer. Correct? Looks great. It would be great to be about to do about 1 inch in the rear the same way with out tricking the bags.
Old 02-12-16, 04:44 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Originally Posted by co4wheel
So that is a spacer above the strut unit. Not a spring spacer. Correct? Looks great. It would be great to be about to do about 1 inch in the rear the same way with out tricking the bags.
Yeah the top mount spacer does not effect spring rate. Its essentially like moving the coil bucket downwards.

The other spacer will make it act like you have a longer/stiffer spring which will more adversely effect ride quality but If you abuse it hard offroad it "should" be a stronger option than the top mount spacer.

Both will put more stress on factory components and cause alignment issues.

This is what I have gathered. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

With the rear I am probably going to trick it up about 6/10" (which is about 2 washers worth). I may go up or down from there depending on stance and ride quality. I know the higher you go the more adversely the ride will be effected.
Old 02-12-16, 04:52 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Yes, correct. Top spacer, not inside the strut assembly.

I tried tricking the bags but did not like the ride quality afterward. If you're thinking of tricking the bags, go ahead and try it out before you get too far with a plan for the front. I've got a 4-day weekend and the kids are out of town, so if I get a wild hair I might try it again to be sure of my assessment.

I generally like the airbags and I like how the truck rides. So a small rear airbag spacer would be great - IF anyone made one that was inexpensive and convenient. (I know there's some gent in Australia who makes/made them.)

Tire wear is even. Caster is about 2.7, IIRC, so I wish it were just a tad higher.
Thanks for taking the time to help and post pics. I am learning a lot.

How high did you trick in the rear? For my liking its a little soft or at least it seems to bottom out somewhat easy in the rear so tricking them up slightly may be a good thing.

Last edited by 180ls1; 02-12-16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 07:33 PM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to retain ride quality you can run a good quality coil over and adjust it from 0-3 inches of lift depending on what you are trying to achieve. With 2" I was able to run 285s but I had to either cut or remove the running boards.
Attached Thumbnails 1" Lift??? Dont want to give up too much ride quality.-image.jpeg  
Old 02-14-16, 06:16 AM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, correct. Top spacer, not inside the strut assembly.

I tried tricking the bags but did not like the ride quality afterward. If you're thinking of tricking the bags, go ahead and try it out before you get too far with a plan for the front. I've got a 4-day weekend and the kids are out of town, so if I get a wild hair I might try it again to be sure of my assessment.

I generally like the airbags and I like how the truck rides. So a small rear airbag spacer would be great - IF anyone made one that was inexpensive and convenient. (I know there's some gent in Australia who makes/made them.)

Tire wear is even. Caster is about 2.7, IIRC, so I wish it were just a tad higher.
I had the same poor experience after I "tricked" my air bags. The ride was horrible. My solution was to go back to almost stock height on the air bags and added a spacer underneath them. It rides great now all things considered.
Old 02-14-16, 02:46 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rz500
I had the same poor experience after I "tricked" my air bags. The ride was horrible. My solution was to go back to almost stock height on the air bags and added a spacer underneath them. It rides great now all things considered.
Where did you get those?
Old 02-14-16, 04:02 PM
Rz500
Driver

Where did you get those?
I turned them myself on a lathe. Any descent machine shop should have no issue making something similiar. Mine were 3" thick with a hole in one end and the pin in the other to locate them. As an added precaution we also through a couple tack welds on them to secure them to the axle.
Old 02-14-16, 04:46 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

I have acces to a lathe. So 3" diameter and then the height you want with the locating pin on one side and the hole in the other? How tall did you go? I was thinking 1.5 to match the fronts.
Old 02-14-16, 05:05 PM
Rz500
Driver

I have acces to a lathe. So 3" diameter and then the height you want with the locating pin on one side and the hole in the other? How tall did you go? I was thinking 1.5 to match the fronts.
I don't have measurements anymore on the diameter but 3" was the thickness of my spacers. If you deflate one of the bags you can remove them from their mount and measure them. you'll need to confirm the length and diameter of locating pin and the overall diameter of the spacer. Sorry wish I still had drawings and measurements that I could help you out with.

Last edited by Rz500; 02-14-16 at 05:09 PM.