GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Keys please

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 08:39 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

On a 2003 GX 470 You will need the tech stream soft wear in order to program yourself . The dealer will charge you to program the keys if you don't have the soft wear,
Old 02-21-17, 08:42 AM
khoality
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redlegger
I just bought a 2003 GX470. If this guy is still around , are you saying you will not have to take it the dealership to be programmed ? Thanks.
1010keys is still around as I just bought a master key for my 04. The key was cut correctly and I had to use a locksmith to program the key for both the doors and start because the instructions wouldn't work and I was informed that I had to use the techstream program to do it which i didn't have. Hope that helps!
Old 02-21-17, 05:37 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No techstream needed if you have a master key.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new...nfused.968514/
Old 02-21-17, 09:03 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by burtoncr
No techstream needed if you have a master key.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new...nfused.968514/
It's true, no techstream needed if you have an original master.

Problem is, I just got a key from 1010keys (coincidentally) and after following the instructions linked below, my original master key remote won't work anymore!

http://blog.keylessentryremotefob.co...emote.html?m=1

While these instructions successfully programmed the new key, they somehow deactivated the remote on my master. effectively turning it into a valet key.

The transponder inside my original master key works (the car starts and I can unlock the doors) but I can no longer remotely lock and unlock. Meanwhile, the new key from 1010keys works just fine.

Does anyone know how to get my original master remote functions to work again?

I'm tempted to repeat the process in an attempt to "program" the original master, but I also don't want to **** up the new key I just got and successfully programmed.

Anybody have this happen to them?

Thanks!

EDIT: the instructions from 1010keys are garbage, so is their OBDI key "programming device". Whoever I dealt with is also super condescending.

Last edited by mstrsltr; 02-21-17 at 09:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JLee50 (03-06-17)
Old 02-22-17, 05:32 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

On my 2004 gx470 I asked the dealership as well as lock smiths and also the ebay vendor 1010 keys. The answers were all the same my year gx could not be programed by any sequencing you do with doors switches etc. I had to have dealer program it
On my 2005 sc430 the 1010 keys programing worked fine did not need the dealer at all. .Side note to the sc430 You are only allowed to have 4 keys programed 2 masters 1 valet 1 wallet. When doing the programming you can erase all of the keys that are in the cars ecu queue and start over but only 4 keys can be programed
Old 02-22-17, 07:57 AM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

what are you all paying for the keys from 1010keys ??
Thanks
Old 02-22-17, 01:02 PM
khoality
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luap
what are you all paying for the keys from 1010keys ??
Thanks
this is the one I bought for my 04 last month:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-EASY...gAAOSw37tWC0jN
Old 02-22-17, 06:35 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrsltr

Problem is, I just got a key from 1010keys (coincidentally) and after following the instructions linked below, my original master key remote won't work anymore!

While these instructions successfully programmed the new key, they somehow deactivated the remote on my master. effectively turning it into a valet key.

The transponder inside my original master key works (the car starts and I can unlock the doors) but I can no longer remotely lock and unlock. Meanwhile, the new key from 1010keys works just fine.

I'm tempted to repeat the process in an attempt to "program" the original master, but I also don't want to **** up the new key I just got and successfully programmed.

Thanks!

EDIT: the instructions from 1010keys are garbage, so is their OBDI key "programming device". Whoever I dealt with is also super condescending.

1010keys instructions delete all the registered FOBs and make you reprogram them all in step 13. My guess is that you only programmed the new 1010keys key and did not reprogram in the old master.

FYI: Step 9 where you turn the key on/off 5 times is where you are entering the programming mode. In this case programming mode 5 is "deregister all previous remotes and program new ones". Here are the options:
Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
Five times to erase all registered codes. <---- this is what the 1010keys instructions specify

Last edited by burtoncr; 02-22-17 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
agent15 (07-25-19)
Old 02-22-17, 09:54 PM
DavE713
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought 2 keys from 1010 keys and sent them a picture for pre-cut ones for my 2008 GX. I tried to use the instructions that came with the keys to program the alarm. It didn't work for me so I tried http://freeremoteinstructions.com/le...470-2003-2009/. Worked perfectly. I just found a YT video a member on GXOR FB club posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E23V...ature=youtu.be to program the ignition/starter for a 4runner. It also worked, 2 keys 70$ programmed at home for the win!
Old 02-22-17, 10:15 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by burtoncr
1010keys instructions delete all the registered FOBs and make you reprogram them all in step 13. My guess is that you only programmed the new 1010keys key and did not reprogram in the old master.

FYI: Step 9 where you turn the key on/off 5 times is where you are entering the programming mode. In this case programming mode 5 is "deregister all previous remotes and program new ones". Here are the options:
Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes.
Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes.
Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered.
Five times to erase all registered codes. <---- this is what the 1010keys instructions specify
ok... glad 1010keys made that clear before I started messing with my keys. Like I said, his instructions are crap. Not to mention he's been a huge jerk in all my dealings with him.

so now what? (as in how do i get my original key back to working as a remote?) Oh, and bonus question, why is my security warning light (the little red car with a key symbol on it) flashing even AFTER the car is running? Both keys do this. I turn the engine on, start driving and the little red car with the key on it keeps blinking and never stops while I'm driving.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mstrsltr; 02-22-17 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 05:45 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Re-read my post # 35. You are only able to program 4 keys. It is possible that you already had 4 programed from the prior owner.. On my 2004 gx470 I was not able to program my keys the dealer had to do it with there soft wear cost was $ 45.00
If you through some instruction process were able to effect your keys you may have erased one key that worked I would suggest you take all of your keys and have the dealer straighten it out.
Old 02-23-17, 11:18 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

With Techstream you can delete the keys and use the master to reprogram up to four more
Old 02-23-17, 11:45 AM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrblister
Re-read my post # 35. You are only able to program 4 keys. It is possible that you already had 4 programed from the prior owner.. On my 2004 gx470 I was not able to program my keys the dealer had to do it with there soft wear cost was $ 45.00
If you through some instruction process were able to effect your keys you may have erased one key that worked I would suggest you take all of your keys and have the dealer straighten it out.
Regardless of what I did to the remote function of my original key, the security indicator light (red car with key symbol) blinking even while driving is indicative of the car still being in "programming mode".

All I had to do was insert either key, rotate from "off" to "on" position 5 times within 10 seconds. As instructed by the following:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...any-ideas.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...any-ideas.html

So no dealer required to figure that part out. Still have to figure out how I turned my original remote key into a valet key.

There is a procedure to "delete all programmed keys except the present key", which I followed using the 1010keys replacement as the "present" key. After which, I attempted to program my original key again to no avail. Still just works as a valet key. I do have the key from 1010keys which works fine, so I guess I'll just keep the other one strictly for emergencies.
Old 02-24-17, 02:16 PM
redlegger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
With Techstream you can delete the keys and use the master to reprogram up to four more
Burny, Redlegger here and since you live in VA. I have this funny feeling we've crossed paths on HP before. I'm the one who just bought a used 2003 Lexus GX70 . Never had a Lexus or dealt with any programmed key other than for a 2005 Grand Caravan. I have one I'm guessing Master Key that came with the car , although it says Denso(?) or some such on the FOB (don't have key at present because its for my wife) so it could be a replacement although it looks very worn and was a one owner. I ordered a cut key from 1010Keys(took picture) which has not yet arrived. What is involved in getting Techstream ? Thanks
Old 03-06-17, 11:14 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redlegger
Burny, Redlegger here and since you live in VA. I have this funny feeling we've crossed paths on HP before. I'm the one who just bought a used 2003 Lexus GX70 . Never had a Lexus or dealt with any programmed key other than for a 2005 Grand Caravan. I have one I'm guessing Master Key that came with the car , although it says Denso(?) or some such on the FOB (don't have key at present because its for my wife) so it could be a replacement although it looks very worn and was a one owner. I ordered a cut key from 1010Keys(took picture) which has not yet arrived. What is involved in getting Techstream ? Thanks
My OEM key says Denso on it as well. You can buy a Techstream (knockoff) cable/software from Amazon for about $15.

Originally Posted by mstrsltr

Thanks!

Yeah, I am not impressed with them. Massive attitude and their instructions are terrible.

They also refuse to support their ignition key unless I spend $27.50 and buy the programming device them (which I assume is the same thing that's on Amazon for $13). I was able to successfully program one of the two keys I bought from them following a Youtube video for a 4Runner, but the other won't register with the ignition. Keyless entry works on both of them, but their instructions de-authorized my factory key and now I can't get it to register (I get the failure code of two locks/unlocks in sequence).