GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need help replacing on replacing Windshield Washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 03:56 PM
lex79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help replacing on replacing Windshield Washer pump

Please, if anyone can explain on how to replace the Windshield washer pump on my GX470 05'. The weather here in Michigan has been pretty brutal these past few days. I'm pretty sure the fluid in the washer was blue stuff. Now whenever I try to fill it up the tank its leaking, so I basically have 2 problems. Broken pump b/c I can't hear it all and I checked the fuse its ok. Secondly the washer tank is leaking from some place on it.
Soo if anyone can help give me some info on how to replace the pump, I would be very grateful to you!
Old 01-14-16, 07:29 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lex79
Please, if anyone can explain on how to replace the Windshield washer pump on my GX470 05'. The weather here in Michigan has been pretty brutal these past few days. I'm pretty sure the fluid in the washer was blue stuff. Now whenever I try to fill it up the tank its leaking, so I basically have 2 problems. Broken pump b/c I can't hear it all and I checked the fuse its ok. Secondly the washer tank is leaking from some place on it.
Soo if anyone can help give me some info on how to replace the pump, I would be very grateful to you!
Can you fill up the reservoir part way? The fill tube is actually a separate component than the tank and there is only a rubber pressure seal between the two. If I fill mine higher than the actual tank it drains out to the ground. Ex. I can't fill up the tube part of the reservoir, only the rectangular tank.

With the brutal weather, it could be frozen. That is very common. With the weather warming up for a day or two now, try it again and see if it starts to flow fluid.
Old 01-19-16, 11:28 AM
lex79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chitown40
Can you fill up the reservoir part way? The fill tube is actually a separate component than the tank and there is only a rubber pressure seal between the two. If I fill mine higher than the actual tank it drains out to the ground. Ex. I can't fill up the tube part of the reservoir, only the rectangular tank.

With the brutal weather, it could be frozen. That is very common. With the weather warming up for a day or two now, try it again and see if it starts to flow fluid.
Ohhh man you are absolutely right! When the temps weren't in freezing, my washer fluid motor started to work and spray out of the jets. I never knew this was a common problem. Wished they would have kept a heater in the tank like the German cars have to keep the liquid from freezing.
Also I get your point on filling all the way to the top of the extension tube. I was thinking I had a leak, lolz, but if you say its normal for it leak out till tank fills up to that junction point, then I guess its fine Thank you soo much, I was going to order a washer motor on ebay and just JB weld the tank leak; you saved me the trouble mate!
Cheers!
Old 01-21-16, 08:21 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can fill my washer tank all the way up the tube with no issues, I do it all the time 2008
Old 01-22-16, 04:58 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Boo Yah is spot on
Old 01-22-16, 06:38 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Not on the GX but reservoir Heater isn't on if car is not running.

Remember to use winter washer fluid -20 deg in the winter so it doesn't freeze and damage your reservoir.
Old 01-23-16, 10:04 AM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
Boo Yah is spot on
Yes, of course, unless the rubber grommet that holds the tube in place on top of the reservoir has shrunk or worn out causing fluid to leak when it enters the tube.