GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

VaisTech MML Quick Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 10:43 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VaisTech MML Quick Review

I ordered the MML and just got it installed and these are my first impressions:

- Extremely easy to install. I found video on youtube as reference to remove trim pieces. I bought a $5 interior trim tool kit which helps prevent scratching. you pop the pieces on sides of stick from cup holder end. you pop the radio side trim pieces from the bottom and you pull up on the ash tray. There were four 10mm screws that were easily removed and the MML wires plugged in easily. I did not want the unit exposed so i simply velcroed to glove compartment floor and i kept USB wire there as i am using an ipod classic. youtube can show you the trick with glove compartment removal if you haven't done it before. remember the small cable is stretchable. But if you want it somewhere else it's a more difficult install depending on where you place the unit and run the cable.

- I chose the MML because of non bluetooth devices i have. it requires you to put everything in playlists on your ipod and then on the screen it simply gives you disc numbers to choose from. if you have a ton of music the most playlists the better but i'd suggest making a cheat sheet for quicker music locating.

- sound is perfect. i have not noticed any quality difference and i used to take live concerts and collect music so my ears are particular. i am very impressed. whenever i have used an fm modulator or a cassette adapter i could always here some hiss in the background. none with MML.

- it does allow you to toggle OFF the NAV I Agree start up prompt. the instructions are in manual but you hit his SCAN button 8 times really fast to put in settings mode and then you press another button and when you here the long beep it's switched off. there's nothing to let you know that until you start the car up next time. it waits five seconds then you here the beep and the nav screen is now up. this was the deciding factor for me over the USASpec because i truly dislike having to press the button every time i start the car.

- When the car is on it will remember where you were in the song if you switch between modes and come back to it but when you turn the car off it restarts from the beginning of the song you were last listening too. not necessarily a bad thing but a lot of the sings i listen two are more than six or seven minutes long, some more than twelve so if you make short trips sometimes i can't ever finish a song. I'm in the middle of a ten minute china>rider from msg 90 that is smoking! but my trips are always easily under ten minutes so i've finally had to skip the song.

i haven't tried my android phone yet but it supposed to be able to play music app from it or ipod. if i get to that point i'll probably rerun the usb cable and cut a hole in the trim panel and add a permanent usb port. you can find them online where you drill out the trim panel and the port either locks or screws in. more of a finished look than just a wire hanging out. so hope that helps someone.
Old 01-14-16, 12:18 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I mounted mine on the passenger kick panel, velcroed to the 4x4 control module - there just wasn't much room in the dash for anywhere else.

The sound quality is as good as CD. It's just excellent.

I've got the nav lawyer-screen dismissal option set. It's actually pretty smart - if you are in reverse, it waits for the camera view to go away before clicking the button.

I have an old 8gb iPod to use with it, but since 64gb USB sticks are so cheap, I just leave that in there.

There's limits of 99 folders (might be 98, I forget). The only gotcha is that it uses a special folder as a cache, and you have to remember to delete it (and empty the trash on your computer) before putting new songs on there.

Highly recommended.

Chip H.
Old 01-14-16, 06:40 PM
MGordo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear, I bought the MML while it was on sale during Christmas.
I also bought this adapter from Amazon in hopes of replacing the stock AUX plug in with both USB and 35mm

Amazon.com: Metra AX-USB-35EXT IPod to 6-Feet 3.5mm USB: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra AX-USB-35EXT IPod to 6-Feet 3.5mm USB: Car Electronics

Just waiting for the adapter to arrive now..