GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Build for Overland (build thread) pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 07:00 AM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GX470 Build for Overland (build thread) pic heavy

We just picked this GX up 2 days ago. Long story short, we adopted a kid. I already have 3 sons so the new RX we bought last year was not going to cut it. So we dumped the RX, and got this 2008 with 3rd row.
Out with the new, in with the old...
Name:  D7246569-120A-4611-B545-A21C6362F340.png_zpst8jlnen8.jpeg
Views: 5362
Size:  211.6 KB
It sucked to go so far backwards in age but we needed 3rd row (you do what you need to for you kids) and you can get GX470 for so darn cheap.

Many parts already on order, but don't forget I'm in the middle of our 2015 TE build at the moment also.

Build list so far
-TOYTEC BOSS 2.0 Lift Kit (Ordered)
-Timberland AT Tires 285-70-17 (WIP)
-Direct Wired Garmin NuviCam (Installed)
-Rocktek Link Armor (Ordered)
-PRG 9000lbs Winch W/SYN Line (In hand)
-Baja Designs Driving Lights (In hand)
-Under Cover Hidden Winch Mount (WIP)
-PRG Prado Snorkel (In hand)
-Flex Mount Trailer Brakes (Ordered)
-Hefty Fabworks Sliders (TBA)
-ARB Roof Rack (In hand)
-ARB Twin Compressor (In hand)
-LED interior Bulb Conversion......because the SUN is awesome installed)

Everything but the sliders are in the works. Got talk to Chris to see what we have for options. This will not be a fast build like my wife's 2013, I will likely wait for everything to show up before I do any of the "real" modding. This will be ready for Jambo and Summit this year and likely will be at just as many events as the new TE.

So I started by doing some easy interior mods. I had LED (IMHO) the best LED interior bulbs you can get laying in my shop from our other builds. The only bulbs I was missing was the two map light bulbs (they will be here Tuesday).

Then I moved to wiring in the Garmin NuviCam. I have this thing about wires and 12v plugs being visible. so.....
Name:  7C096B29-B21D-45FF-A8FC-5ACC43CABDD2_zpsvw2grlsg.jpg
Views: 6107
Size:  203.9 KB

I made my own insulated inline plug adapter and installed an additional 12v socket that will not be seen when the dash is back together.
NOTE: I had a seat heater light out, so while i had the bezel off i order a pair of the new bulbs PN 90010-01061 (just in case anyone needs the bulb number)

So now I'm waiting on parts and motivation to install the parts we do have.. I have the snorkel here, BUT many of the components I put on this thing will just be for advertisement and I am in no rush to hack a hole in yet another fender.

In the meantime, here are my other three vehicle that we will have out and about at Toyota events across the US.
Name:  6F4F4A10-9F73-4085-A1A8-D3C5997B70FB_zpsm69u1fpi.jpg
Views: 4868
Size:  432.0 KB
Top Left - 2010 Trail Prem
Bottom Left - 2013 SR5 Prem
Top Right - 2013 SR5 w/3rd row
Bottom Right - 2015 Trail Prem

NOTE: Silver 2010 Trail I sold to get the 2015

More to follow, I know there is not that many people on this forum interested in such things....I thought I would share anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Lextazy (08-14-19)
Old 12-31-15, 08:43 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

There's plenty of people in this sub-forum interested in such things! Looking forward to updates!
Old 12-31-15, 07:27 PM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
There's plenty of people in this sub-forum interested in such things! Looking forward to updates!

I will be sure to keep this thread updated, will try to find a good location for the ARB compressor this weekend.
Old 01-02-16, 08:28 AM
LARGEONE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed as well. My GX looks exactly the same as yours...can't wait to see how the mods turn out!
Old 01-05-16, 07:42 AM
toy2g
Driver

Default LED Lighting

So I'm getting a slow start to the build. I cannot muster the nerve to cut the fender yet and I'm still working out the details for some larger components. I did spool the synthetic line on the winch and the Factor55 thimble made it in, but I still have not nailed down how I am doing the winch mount. Not sure if I should order a 4th gen 4Runner mount and modify it to fit, or just build my own.

What I have gotten done is the LED interior/exterior lighting.

One of the most important bulbs for me is the Backup bulbs (Part Number 7440). Not an easy sway in the GX, so let me make a suggestion or three.

1) you do want to replace these often because they are hard to get to.
2) don't buy the cheapest bulb you can find just because it says it has a million lumen.
3) Cree and Epistar are both good options, but make sure they are legit (not knockoffs) and make sure they are the ones with the built in aluminum heat sinks.

this is what I am using.

The running board lights, rear dome, cargo area and courtesy lights are all 194 bulbs. As a personal preference I use CAN Bus bulbs because there is more contact other than just a little wire on each pole. IMHO, the CAN Bus bulbs are a more reliable bulb and not as finicky.

Here are the bulbs I used.

Lastly are the map light bulbs (part number BA9S) these bulbs are a throw back to the old chrome Phillips 2C flashlights. they are a push and twist mini globe bulb. There are not a lot of option for this style bulb. So just pick a true Cree or Epistar bulb and hope for the best.

In future post we will get to the Baja Designs from Flush Mount bumper lights. But for now, movement on the build is rather slow. over the next 5 weeks or so the larger mods will progress...

Oh, I nearly forgot. Since we are going to be working closely with Timberland Tire Company (Timberland Boot Company) and their "green" approach to tire sales. We added a little brandign to the GX.

Name:  E1640A33-FEE7-403E-985D-799EF439FF11_zpsz3esmcrw.jpg
Views: 4256
Size:  193.6 KB

WARNING: long winded story below.

I wont waste your time with the details, but I had a climbing accident back in the early 2000s and fell over 40 feet (bouncing of out-croppings a couple times on the way down) I landed flat footed facing the rock wall. I happened to land upright, however I landed in loose shale rock. The landing blew out the back of my left boot and broke my ankle. BUT the boot kept me in good enough shape to climb back out of the Crooked River Canyon and walk the nearly one mile to my truck. According to the doctor, my hand me down boots saved my ankle and perhaps my life (given the fact I had let nobody know where I was going and there is ZERO access to the bottom of the canyon). as I'm sure you have guessed by now the old boots were Timberland Boots. and thus starting my obsession with the brand.

Fast forward 20 years and you will fine me with a timberland collection that surpasses most timberland retail locations. Not the Timberland you see in hip-hop videos, more the Timberland you wear to go camping or our to a nice dinner. I have been into timberland store so often in our common stomping grounds (Connecticut, Austin and Pennsylvanian) that store manager have literally given me store fixtures bearing the Timberland logo or namesake.

Two years ago I was at the SEMA show in Vegas and happen to be present for the press release where Timberland announced they are getting into the tire business. I made some friends, shared some stories and by chance and luck found myself in a position to promote the brand.

So... I have a "Timberland Room" at my house. Honestly it's the den, but still by most standards, it is in fact a room.

Name:  6A46E652-76D5-435E-AF7F-A1BF5FEF2411_zpsa1tkzp2l.jpg
Views: 4317
Size:  188.4 KB

Name:  E2A662F4-8374-4971-BEDA-128D681AC47A_zpscrjrwjll.jpg
Views: 4341
Size:  183.3 KB
Old 01-05-16, 10:39 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Do you have a link to the reverse bulbs you're using? For anyone looking, a straight projector style doesn't work on our trucks due to the reflector/housing, you NEED light emitted from the sides of the bulb.
Old 01-05-16, 12:24 PM
toy2g
Driver

Do you have a link to the reverse bulbs you're using? For anyone looking, a straight projector style doesn't work on our trucks due to the reflector/housing, you NEED light emitted from the sides of the bulb.
Here is a link to the bulbs I purchased. As you mentioned the projector portion rather wasted on our reverse lights, but the 300+ lumen and aluminum housing won me over on this.

7440 Aluminum Housing

However, they do have a bulb that "claims" over 500 lumen. Its longer but I'm pretty certain there is plenty of room for it to fit. Problem I have with this bulb is the lack of heat sink on a bulb claiming to produce that much light. I just don't want to have to remove that rear panel too many times.

550 Lumen Bulb

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-16, 05:18 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

You are one interesting fellow (I mean that in the absolute best possible way). I'd like to read your autobiography if you write one someday.

I'm curious why you are planning to get sliders from Hefty. They don't advertise any for the 4th Gen T4R, much less the GX. If they're making them for the GX, I'd be interested in knowing. Hefty is local to me and that would save a ton on shipping fees if I ordered a set.

BTW, do you identify as a Texan?
Old 01-06-16, 05:34 AM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by LexRex
You are one interesting fellow (I mean that in the absolute best possible way). I'd like to read your autobiography if you write one someday.

I'm curious why you are planning to get sliders from Hefty. They don't advertise any for the 4th Gen T4R, much less the GX. If they're making them for the GX, I'd be interested in knowing. Hefty is local to me and that would save a ton on shipping fees if I ordered a set.

BTW, do you identify as a Texan?
Thanks for the complement....I think. lol

As far as the sliders, Chris Hefty is a friend of mine, regardless of what he offers for sale on his site, I know he can build a set of sliders that I will actually like. We don't even sell his product on our site, but we promote it because I use it.

Where are you located? He is in Springs, perhaps I can setup a meeting for you two and we can use your vehicle for some R&D. That is, if it's a possibility for you to drop your vehicle off for a week or so.

his 5th gen sliders will fit the GX, however that front trim where the running boards hit the fencer flair will look a bit off if the slider is not in some way integrated. Perhaps he will be able to do as ShrockWorks did and make a cap that bolts onto the slider to fill the gap. The do have a 4th gen 4Runner in the shop now. They are working out some designs on it, I suspect they will have products for it in the next few months.
Old 01-06-16, 10:32 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Holy guacamole! Those are amazing rigs you have there! Can't wait for your GX! Love Timberlands as well, have had Timbs since high school! LOL
Old 01-06-16, 04:20 PM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
Holy guacamole! Those are amazing rigs you have there! Can't wait for your GX! Love Timberlands as well, have had Timbs since high school! LOL
We sure have built a lot of rigs over the last 10 years. We still own many of them, but have sold a couple and given a few away. We do strictly Toyota vehicles and though we have owned several Lexus vehicles (mostly RX models) this will be our first LEXUS off road build.

Here are a few of our other builds.... I would post more, but if I gave the honest number of how many we have presently or have had in the 15 years we have been married it would cause more than a few people to question my sanity.

Our 4th gens (silver is my wife's black mine). Black on sold, silver one passed along to a friend that works with us.
Name:  6b76acaf0bff86ab90c0886e601233d8_zps19da1e3c.jpg
Views: 4633
Size:  278.7 KB

Name:  A2A25DBB-0960-42F2-A07D-8E235BBF4B11_zpsbtuurmxp.jpg
Views: 13966
Size:  331.1 KB

Built this for my first family cruiser.
Name:  01f09a9d58c7e00b213cc718a378f6c6_zpsf1e5cb72.jpg
Views: 4577
Size:  299.1 KB

totaled this one in Gilmer TX
. Name:  21cf76ca0c41b96c799e15208b334489_zps56335bb1.jpg
Views: 4359
Size:  266.5 KB

Our puddle jumper, known to us as "the fire truck"
Name:  f92b4aac7a7e29efd9689b148e621503_zps00bb353f.jpg
Views: 4383
Size:  182.5 KB

Saved this one from a impound lot...sat for six years... Gave it as a gift to a very good friend of mine and is to this day still a daily driver.
Old 01-08-16, 02:52 PM
toy2g
Driver

Update on Reverse lights.

#1) I received black aluminum lights vs the White I ordered. Quality seems very good, so I'm not worried. Only mention so someone else may not be surprised.

#2) The bulbs are too long, by nearly 1/8 of an inch. I had to remove the projector (as mentioned above, the projector does not help with our vehicle anyway) and the cap on the end of the light. I then proceeded to shave the light down about an eighth of an inch.

See picture of shaved vs not shaved
Name:  CE49B906-596F-4170-89B5-86E75561CB5A_zpsa8ic6yrd.jpg
Views: 4182
Size:  140.8 KB

Here you can see what I am referring to by "shaved"
Name:  53E6444E-D888-4C6C-9B8A-92D6B8B8F82C_zps1liwxqma.jpg
Views: 4161
Size:  148.0 KB

Lastly, the re-assembled bulb next to the unaltered bulb. you can see the two pieces I removed (projector lens and projector lens retaining ring)

Name:  48E2C74F-1128-4A3B-9D55-FE915262F2D9_zpsn23fwaby.jpg
Views: 4193
Size:  130.0 KB

In the end the mod was still pretty easy, and the light is incredibly bright. Not only does it look bright while staring directly into it (like most lights do), you can tell a significant difference in the backup camera.

UPDATE:
Timberland Tires Inbound
Toytec BOSS 2.0 Shipped today
Hidden winch mount ships next week.
Snorkel....still sitting on my desk waiting for me to grow a pair.
Old 01-08-16, 06:51 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toy2g
As far as the sliders, Chris Hefty is a friend of mine, regardless of what he offers for sale on his site, I know he can build a set of sliders that I will actually like. We don't even sell his product on our site, but we promote it because I use it.

Where are you located? He is in Springs, perhaps I can setup a meeting for you two and we can use your vehicle for some R&D. That is, if it's a possibility for you to drop your vehicle off for a week or so.
Yes, I'm in the Springs too. I'd be willing to offer my truck for R&D, although the GX is my winter driver b/c my car doesn't go out in the snow. We'd need a stretch of good weather if I were to leave the truck with him for a while.
Old 01-08-16, 07:42 PM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by LexRex
Yes, I'm in the Springs too. I'd be willing to offer my truck for R&D, although the GX is my winter driver b/c my car doesn't go out in the snow. We'd need a stretch of good weather if I were to leave the truck with him for a while.
Since you live in springs, it's likely he could just keep it a day for the sliders and a day for the winch mount. Perhaps not even in the same week.

I will PM you my number if you care to try and set something up.
Old 01-08-16, 09:04 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Sounds good.

Quick Reply: GX470 Build for Overland (build thread) pic heavy