GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Transfer case issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 09:03 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Transfer case issue?

My GX has 109k mi and has been flawless. Within last 3 months, I started to notice what feels like some binding only when backing up, steering wheel turned to the right, like backing out of parking space. It's not to the point where the car will come to a stop but definitely feel a little "roughness". I've since changed front, rear differential fluids and Tcase fluid but the sensation is still there. No other issue besides this scenario. Thanks.
Old 11-12-15, 09:34 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Have you maybe got a tire rubbing the wheel liner in that situation? Have a look around for areas the tire may have rubbed smooth in that position.
Old 11-12-15, 12:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like a front CV joint getting dry, check the boots I bet one is missing a clamp or the boot itself is torn. my 04 does grind some in turns when the wheel is like 80% turned, and I looked and it is missing the clamp on both sides and had leaked out the grease. plan to throw some rebuilt toyota axles in there probably since its started grinding a simple re-pack might not fix it.

My 03 has both boots on perfect with clamps and full of grease, does not even grind the smallest bit with the wheels turned.
usually on these sort of 4wd cars when you get grinding in turns its those front CV's.

if its not that like a grinding almost and just some binding, thats probably normal transfer case function, on our cars the center differential is a t3 torsen type differential, and when you are normally driving the split is 40 front - 60 rear. If you turn the wheels enough to where the front travels at a different speed than the rear, the gears inside the torsen actually pick up on that and start to transfer power to the rear to help you turn and can feel like binding cause its actually using the gears to force you to turn better at that angle, i.e forces more power to the rear, and sometimes you can feel a tire "slipping" or "binding" as its forced to turn at a certain rate (its not completely perfect).

Open differentials do not do this, this is why when turning in the GX it feels so nimble is because half way through the turn the transfer case is actually helping you out so it doesn't waste any grip.

here it talks about straight line and turning.

this is normal straight line operation

front wheel skid if the grip in the front is lost

and rear wheel skid if the grip in the rear is lost

One of the front wheel skid or rear wheel skid happens when you turn at sharp angles depending on direction etc... I am not sure which one but basically power is transferred around depending on wheel speeds.
anyways the point is this transfer case does special stuff all the time which can show up as "binding" as the internals distribute the power around.
unless something is grinding there is nothing to be worried about, these cars do tend to bind at low speed turns like in and out of parking spots.
and if its grinding on low speed turns its more likely those front cv joints.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-12-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 03:27 PM
NTH
Instructor

Thanks Ian and Ali. Very good information here. First thing I'll do is get under there and have a peek tomorrow. You guys are awesome!
Old 11-13-15, 06:27 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

If you're experiencing binding while the wheel is turned, I don't think the center diff would be involved (hardly any), but rather the front and/or rear differentials, since it's a left-right difference in wheel speed.

In any case, something cheap to try first would be a fluid change in the front, rear, and transfer case.

Chip H.
Old 11-15-15, 11:27 AM
NTH
Instructor

Update- Looked in the fender wells, I do see rub marks in front of the right front tire on the black plastic. I cranked the wheel to see if i can visualize the contact point but with the truck stationary, the tire was 1/4" away from the liner. My guess is when backing up, suspension travel may decrease that little gap which leads to contact.
Old 11-16-15, 08:49 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by NTH
Update- Looked in the fender wells, I do see rub marks in front of the right front tire on the black plastic. I cranked the wheel to see if i can visualize the contact point but with the truck stationary, the tire was 1/4" away from the liner. My guess is when backing up, suspension travel may decrease that little gap which leads to contact.
Happy to hear it was that simple to figure out! A simple adjustment in driving style is all that one takes to correct.
Old 11-24-15, 07:22 PM
mswtoyota
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the center diff T-case lock was not inadvertently engaged by your dog/kids/significant other etc.