GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 (2004) rear door/hatch tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 05:45 AM
TallCowboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 (2004) rear door/hatch tool kit?

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2004 GX470 and found NO tools (or whatever is supposed to be there) in the built-in fold-out plastic tray behind the removable panel in the rear door/hatch.

Can anyone supply a picture of a complete set so I can try to find a replacement set or build one from junkyard trucks?

Also, if I can get the "official" name of this kit it might help with Internet searches.

I am a new owner on member of this forum. Let me say I am impressed with the knowledge base here! I am no stranger to intenet enthusiast forums (restored a '46 Ford, '67 Mercury Cougar, and do all my daily driver work I can) but honestly am having trouble making the newbie post count here because so far just about every problem or questions I have encountered so far have all been discussed/resolved on this board already!

My undying thanks!
Old 11-12-15, 07:08 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I wasn't able to find it on the parts diagrams (so I don't have a P/N for you). It consists of a plastic tray with metal frame backing, that the tools clip into.

This is something you want, as that is where the crank to let the spare tire down is. This is a multi-part metal rod that connect up, with a cross-piece to use a crank.

The wrenches and screwdriver that come with it, you can honestly skip unless you just have to have them. But the spare tire rod is something you must have.

I would try a parts yard. But check with the dealer parts desk - one might be cheaper than the other.

Chip H.
Old 11-12-15, 07:13 AM
jdeguzman1
Driver School Candidate

Check this link.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...modelYear=2008
Old 11-12-15, 11:28 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Nice find! I was looking at the rear door pages and didn't see it.

That's a lot cheaper than I expected, btw.

Chip H.
Old 11-12-15, 04:45 PM
LexRex
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

That's just for the case. Nevermind the $18 screwdriver and $11-$21 wrenches.
Old 11-12-15, 09:09 PM
ScatAdams
Rookie

Search on eBay, you can get the entire kit for around $60 or so
Old 11-17-15, 05:55 PM
TallCowboy
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks so much, gents! I still have the EMPTY plastic tray in the door, it kind of folds out from the top (looks to have some type of hinge on the bottom end) behind the plastic door, right? That's all of it besides the tools?

I definitely will check on eBay if I can't find it in the myriad of wrecking yards around Sunland/Los Angeles next time I am stateside. I would sure feel more comfortable if I had the jack tool with me, at least, so I may end up going to the Toyota dealer here in Bolivia to pick one up, depends on the difference in price, I guess.

When I bought the car here in Bolivia, the complete tool kit was missing (save the plastic tray and door *LOL*) which is not all that big of a surprise here. *sigh* I was also missing the wheel lock key, but had my mechanic take off the old lock set (again, not too encouraging) and bought a complete new set.

I was nervous driving around without the wheel lock key, and now that I have that, I am STILL driving around nervous without the tire jack tool...so I probably will pay what I have to pay to get that here, before I head stateside and try to pick up all the cool tools in junkyards (or eBay) and save some money to have the whole kit.

I appreciate your help, regardless! I'm kind of running blind here without the owners manuals, but thank goodness this site has so much help online.
Old 11-18-15, 06:41 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

The tray has two metal "ears" on the bottom. You can lift it out.

The jack itself should be in the storage compartment behind the left-rear stoplight.

Chip H.
Old 11-18-15, 08:32 AM
TallCowboy
Driver School Candidate

OK, got the tray out (didn't try much before, since it was empty ).

Found the jack, a little folding jack handle that I have not tried yet, but assume is for the jack, because both are painted red. Have no idea if it is stock or not, but will have to try it out to make sure it works for me in the street should the need arise. It looks a little short, but fits in the "holder" in the compartment there, so maybe it is the stock one. Also found in the same compartment, a lug wrench that appears to be from some other car, doesn't fit in the rear tool case anyway, that I can see, and is very short.

I had hoped to find the wheel lock key in there, but alas, no such luck. Now that I have a new set of locks though, I put the key in there and will order a spare to keep in the house just in case.

I have no idea why it is the way it is here in Bolivia - but also missing is the remote for the DVD player (although I did find the remote HOLDER *LOL* stuffed in a side pocket. Still need to try out the method I saw on this site to use the front panel display/buttons to control the DVD player, as of now I have no idea if it works or not, although when I inserted a DVD, the display said "DVD" so I assume it at least read the disk. More on that later in an appropriate thread.

I also need to do some work on the CD/Audio system. The CD changer will only play CDs in tray 4 and 6, although sometimes it recognizes the others are there at initial tray insertion, but won't play them. I suspect it at LEAST needs a new CD cartridge (some of the tabs in front/left position seem a bit bent. Also seem to have the BASS speaker rattling a lot (sounds blown out, but could possibly be interference with the side panel) and 4 speakers not working - could be wiring or bad speakers. Also a subject for a different thread when I get to it.

Lots of little things wrong, but really in pretty good condition for having been in Bolivia since 2008 (also found out the odometer is wrong...says 53K, but according to the Lexus website, it had 110K on it when it was last seen in a dealer in Walnut Creek, CA - but this again, is par for the course in Bolivia - at least the original owner did all the work at the dealership and all the regular maintenance - most likely was a fleet car I would guess, from the number of miles put on it during the 4 years it was in the USA).

Anyway, I love the truck! Coming from a F-150 King Ranch truck, it's a welcome change from the mini-cars and chinese imports that are readily available here. I have noticed that the GX470 handles a LOT rougher than my King Ranch did though...but I assume that has a lot to do with the fact that the rear suspension bags were taken out and replaced with regular shocks. Still yet another project I have to undertake to get some of the handling expected from a Lexus, as well as the auto-height stuff working again.

Lots of work, but nothing major so far *knock wood*, it was a bargain here in Santa Cruz (and all of Bolivia, for that matter), and I am happy to have it.

Sorry for the long-winded status update
Old 01-20-22, 05:50 PM
Rick0289
Driver School Candidate

Here's the parts diagram I found online, hope it helps:
Old 01-21-22, 02:04 PM
Jpilot
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Only took 7 years for a good reply. LOL.